The Official Game Development Thread

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby Mundius » October 26th, 2013, 11:55 am

KirbyHead wrote:
Mundius wrote:Now on real game design. I'm thinking of learning Unity with some basic 2D platforming or a remake of that concept shown above, just so I get a grasp onto making games and Unity as well. I have Unity installed, and if anyone knows any great tuts for making games with Unity; throw them to me either here or through PM. In the case something fun comes out of it, I'll either make some generic techno for it or dark ambient.

If you want to go for 2D in Unity, you might want to wait a bit for version 4.3 to come out. It has better 2D support, whereas right now you'd either have to do some fancy coding with the quad primitive or buy a 2D package like 2D Toolkit off the Asset Store.

...Damn. I guess I'm learning Unity when 4.3 comes out.

Also, for some reason, Bootcamp doesn't want to work.
Mundius

Postby JoKeR » October 26th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Mundius wrote:Bootcamp doesn't want to work.

Mac?

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Mundius » October 26th, 2013, 5:51 pm

JoKeRcologne wrote:
Mundius wrote:Bootcamp doesn't want to work.

Mac?

No, I'm on 7 x64, Bootcamp is the name of the tech demo in Unity.

EDIT: I made the name for the platformer I'm going to do in Unity. "Generic Techno Platformer". It's both a good temporary name and a good final name.
Mundius

Postby mikemacdee » October 27th, 2013, 6:22 am

It's my understanding that making a text adventure game is Programming 101 stuff, which is to say it's beyond me. I understand logic statements, but I have to look at a gui rather than pure code or I get dizzy and throw up all over my keyboard.

I finished uploading a Restraint walkthrough on youtube.
mikemacdee

Postby eishiya » October 27th, 2013, 6:37 am

mikemacdee wrote:It's my understanding that making a text adventure game is Programming 101 stuff, which is to say it's beyond me. I understand logic statements, but I have to look at a gui rather than pure code or I get dizzy and throw up all over my keyboard.

I finished uploading a Restraint walkthrough on youtube.

Have you ever written your own game completely from scratch, rather than from existing code? One's own code is usually much easier to read and understand because you have memories of what you meant to do with each bit of code, even if looking at others' code makes your brain explode. Of course, you should still comment your own code, memories aren't permanent.
eishiya

Postby mikemacdee » October 28th, 2013, 3:54 am

eishiya wrote:Have you ever written your own game completely from scratch, rather than from existing code? One's own code is usually much easier to read and understand because you have memories of what you meant to do with each bit of code, even if looking at others' code makes your brain explode. Of course, you should still comment your own code, memories aren't permanent.

I make a lot of games from scratch, but most of my projects built off each other. So I'm no stranger to reusing code if the code I'm reusing is recent. Otherwise even with annotations I'll have a hard time remembering what's what and may as well do everything from scratch. Fine if it's a simple shooty game; not so fine if it's an old unfinished rpg with a perfectly good dialogue and inventory system.
mikemacdee

Postby FlamingDbag » October 28th, 2013, 9:19 am

If anyone is wondering about Human Revolution Director's Cut:
Unless you have the discount offer for it on Steam, or want to play with a second screen (Wii U version for example) DO NOT REPURCHASE IT AT FULL PRICE. They have made enough minor improvements to make it the best release of the game (ignoring new small bugs) but unless you're obsessed with the franchise/game you're only going to notice the graphics and a couple of augmentations now have slightly more functionality. I mean this is my favorite game this generation and I'M even struggling to see changes from the PS3 original to this new PC version. I'm just looking at it as the true version since the DLC are properly part of the game now and bosses are supposingly a lot less retarded to handle now.

That said, if you haven't already played the game WHAT ARE YOU DOING.
FlamingDbag

Postby JoKeR » October 28th, 2013, 9:29 am

@ FlamingDbag
Wrong thread ...we talk about our own game creations here. ;)

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby FlamingDbag » October 28th, 2013, 9:46 am

JoKeRcologne wrote:@ FlamingDbag
Wrong thread ...we talk about our own game creations here. ;)

Wow. Woooow.
Ok yeah, definitely sleep time for me then...

edit: So I don't make a total dumbass of myself:
This is what I've been working on for school. I've still yet to script 80% of it but I finished the layout of it today and played around with the visuals out of boredom.
FlamingDbag

Postby JoKeR » October 28th, 2013, 10:36 am

A card game?

JoKeR

Postby FlamingDbag » October 28th, 2013, 7:24 pm

JoKeRcologne wrote:A card game?

Yeah. it's supposed to teach us basic functionality in Unity and simple game design. I really don't have much working for it right now though.
FlamingDbag

Postby Mundius » October 29th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Are the cards textures loaded as a JPEG? Because you could get real card art.
Mundius

Postby FlamingDbag » October 29th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Yeah but I preferred to make my own. The numbers are only supposed to reach up to 10 anyway and having the numbers large and readable is more ideal imo.
I'd like to do similar with the HUD but I don't know how yet and it's apparently not part of the assessment anyway.
FlamingDbag

Postby eishiya » November 2nd, 2013, 4:49 pm

Oh yeah I was going to post a screenshot of my game, wasn't I?

Spoiler! :

Everything is randomly generated, and I didn't bother rerolling for a nice-looking room since that's cheating xP

This is technically just part of the UI, but I don't feel like posting the whole thing since it's nothing special, and it isn't all done.

While I was trying to grab a screenshot with the attack in it, I noticed that what I had previously thought to be lag in rendering was actually due to an error in my code. Yaaay, it's nice when things can be fixed.
eishiya

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games