The Official Game Development Thread

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby JoKeR » November 2nd, 2013, 8:29 pm

eishiya wrote:Oh yeah I was going to post a screenshot of my game, wasn't I?

Spoiler! :

Everything is randomly generated, and I didn't bother rerolling for a nice-looking room since that's cheating xP

This is technically just part of the UI, but I don't feel like posting the whole thing since it's nothing special, and it isn't all done.

While I was trying to grab a screenshot with the attack in it, I noticed that what I had previously thought to be lag in rendering was actually due to an error in my code. Yaaay, it's nice when things can be fixed.

Looks interesting ...is it a side-scroll-hack-n-slay-rpg? Zelda2 style?

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby eishiya » November 2nd, 2013, 8:40 pm

JoKeRcologne wrote:Looks interesting ...is it a side-scroll-hack-n-slay-rpg? Zelda2 style?

It's an accumulation game (think Candy Box) where one of the ways to get stuff is a side-view (not side-scrolling) hack n' slash dungeon crawly thing. I wouldn't call it an RPG, the closest it gets to that is you can find and equip things.
eishiya

Postby Mundius » November 2nd, 2013, 11:09 pm

Drawing a concept for a survival-based civilization clone using civ 3 as the base. Isometric tiles are hard to work with.

EDIT: That was a terrible idea.
Mundius

Postby Mundius » November 7th, 2013, 9:44 pm

I still have Game Maker, I should see what I can accomplish with it.
Mundius

Postby mikemacdee » November 7th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Mundius wrote:I still have Game Maker, I should see what I can accomplish with it.

There's a bunch of tutorials at yoyogames that help you understand the basics. I'd start by completing all those.
mikemacdee

Postby Mundius » November 7th, 2013, 11:26 pm

mikemacdee wrote:
Mundius wrote:I still have Game Maker, I should see what I can accomplish with it.

There's a bunch of tutorials at yoyogames that help you understand the basics. I'd start by completing all those.

I remember most of the basics, since I did make a working Pac-Man clone when I was a kid, and it was okay considering I did it in a few hours over the course of a week, including the graphics. Only thing I didn't do is sound, but I make ambient now.

I just want to know whether there's a way to have working pop-up menus, but I guess there's a tut for that as well. If that's there, then I can theoretically make my space sim, if I can get a ton of variables out and learn proper procedural generation for an infinite world. I had a prototype of it posted here, I think; it was the abandoned one.
Mundius

Postby Seven Rain » November 12th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Random-ass test footage!

I've been trying to go for a faux-dynamic-lighting thing in some dungeons where moving into and out of certain areas, or closer/further from torches and lights, will change the brightness/tint of the screen, but although this vid doesn't do the game's visuals justice, (dunno why YT destroyed it's quality, but eh. It's YT,) I still don't think it works too well. It's a hassle setting up all those touch events and in the end the darkened areas look too dark, and will probably be terrible on darker monitors. Not to mention it doesn't auto-adjust during battles, as seen at the end, so even random battles will be dark as hell.
I'm still gonna toy with tints and stuff, though.
Spoiler! :
And I should really work on some attack animations before I go uploading any vids, no matter how early they are.

*EDIT*
Ugh, sorry about the random little hangs. Dunno why Bandicam did that. It's usually good about recording smooth framerates.

... But really I'm just looking for an excuse to post here... I guess I made some good progress on the "sprite" for the second major protagonist;
Still need to make the hair longer, then it'll be done.
Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » November 12th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Random-ass test footage!

... But really I'm just looking for an excuse to post here... I guess I made some good progress on the "sprite" for the second major protagonist;
Still need to make the hair longer, then it'll be done.

I can't get that video to load for the life of me, but wow dat protag~

Spoiler! :
KYUUUUUUU-T-PIE
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » November 12th, 2013, 10:54 pm

SpiralPen wrote:I can't get that video to load for the life of me

I can give you the direct link if that helps; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9pCwm8w1I
But it's really nothing terribly interesting anyway, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » November 13th, 2013, 2:31 am

Seven Rain wrote:
SpiralPen wrote:I can't get that video to load for the life of me

I can give you the direct link if that helps; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9pCwm8w1I
But it's really nothing terribly interesting anyway, haha.

I finally got it to work!! Nah man, I really liked what I saw. I will stand by "Allegiant Remains" as being one of the coolest names for an undead enemy I've heard.

Watching it only made me more and more curious about this version of RPGMaker though!!! ARRRGGHHH, I want it sooo baddddd!

I have a question about it I was wondering if anyone could answer.... In Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver you can have the first member of your party follow you around in the overworld. If you turn around and press the interaction button, you'll get one of many different text boxes that pop up and briefly describe what your companion is up to. These are mostly randomly-generated, but sometimes they are location-specific or otherwise affected by other factors, such as a sickly message being more prominent when they have low HP or a status condition.

Would this be possible to implement into a game made in this version of RPGmaker? If so, would it be relatively simple, incredibly frustrating, or somewhere in between do you think? I would love to make a game utilizing a feature like that, but I don't know what would go into incorporating it and if the workload would be worth it for something so small and arguably trivial.

:C
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » November 13th, 2013, 3:11 am

SpiralPen wrote:I have a question about it I was wondering if anyone could answer.... In Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver you can have the first member of your party follow you around in the overworld. If you turn around and press the interaction button, you'll get one of many different text boxes that pop up and briefly describe what your companion is up to. These are mostly randomly-generated, but sometimes they are location-specific or otherwise affected by other factors, such as a sickly message being more prominent when they have low HP or a status condition.

Would this be possible to implement into a game made in this version of RPGmaker? If so, would it be relatively simple, incredibly frustrating, or somewhere in between do you think? I would love to make a game utilizing a feature like that, but I don't know what would go into incorporating it and if the workload would be worth it for something so small and arguably trivial.

:C

VX Ace supports scripting, and for those not script-savvy; It supports the easy-ish use of other peoples' scripts. Think of them like mods. With a little know-how you can download all kinds of user-made scripts for your game to add/alter features. I use a few for things like the battle system showing character sprites, and turning the boat into a mount, etc. and I'm sure there's one somewhere for that sort of party interaction.

As for me, I'm not gonna go out of my way to find it, though. I'll wait until later to toy with ways of implementing interaction amongst the party. Might simply go for a FFV-style where the party splits up upon entering certain towns, leaving you to run around and chit-chat with 'em, and rejoin when leaving.
Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » November 13th, 2013, 3:30 am

Seven Rain wrote:VX Ace supports scripting, and for those not script-savvy; It supports the easy-ish use of other peoples' scripts. Think of them like mods. With a little know-how you can download all kinds of user-made scripts for your game to add/alter features. I use a few for things like the battle system showing character sprites, and turning the boat into a mount, etc. and I'm sure there's one somewhere for that sort of party interaction.

As for me, I'm not gonna go out of my way to find it, though. I'll wait until later to toy with ways of implementing interaction amongst the party. Might simply go for a FFV-style where the party splits up upon entering certain towns, leaving you to run around and chit-chat with 'em, and rejoin when leaving.

Ahhh, I see! Thanks for clearing that up!

So you don't think it'd be outside the realm of probability to find a script that allowed such functionality? <:
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » November 13th, 2013, 3:32 am

SpiralPen wrote:So you don't think it'd be outside the realm of probability to find a script that allowed such functionality? <:

No, but I also wouldn't get your hopes up too much. It's a small scene, haha.
Wouldn't take much searching, though. Just try something along the lines of "RPG Maker VX Ace party chat script" or something, you get the idea~
Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » November 13th, 2013, 8:37 am

Seven Rain wrote:Random-ass test footage!

whoa that's a ton of cool maps. One of the problems I always have is trying to make those look good without just using the sample maps

---

Also, I realised the game I was making in RPG Maker doesn't work very well as an RPG (I was kinda basing it on Platinum Games games and stuff) but I still want to use RPGM so I'm going to come up with a proper RPG idea now, based on the ones I like.
Bowserknight

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games