The Official Game Development Thread

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby Seven Rain » November 13th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Bowserknight wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Random-ass test footage!

whoa that's a ton of cool maps.

Thanks! The tilesets are some of the only parts of the game I won't be drawing myself, so I try my best with the ones VX Ace gives me.
Spoiler! :
I'm a bit worried about how well I'll be able to pull off Ethereal with built-in Tilesets, though... But I really want Adamantia and Ethereal to be visit-able locales. D:
Seven Rain

Postby KirbyHead » November 14th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Heads up to anyone who was waiting for Unity 4.3 for the 2D support: it's out now. Their example project and some of the videos in their blog should help you get started.
KirbyHead

Postby mikemacdee » November 14th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Where's the music from? It's pretty badass.

But you should draw the tilesets and menus yourself to make the art consistent. I guarantee it'll be a bigger hit if you do.

Footage of my Indie Speed Run 2013 entry.
mikemacdee

Postby Seven Rain » November 14th, 2013, 6:05 pm

mikemacdee wrote:

Where's the music from? It's pretty badass.

Let's see here...
Spoiler! :
The music on the title screen is "3 AM" by Devin Townsend.
The music in the Outer Abyss Ledges is "Desert town in the sun" from RPG Maker DS at 50% pitch.
The music on the world map is "Town3" from VX Ace's RTP.
The music in the enemy battle is "Battle2" from VX Ace's RTP at 110% pitch.
The music in the Timberland Depths is "Dungeon03" from RPG Maker XP's RTP at 150% pitch.
Aaand the music during the Nohas encounter is an instrumental of "My Sanity On The Funeral Pyre" by Atreyu. (As much as I hate to admit it, I like Atreyu songs... As long as they're instrumentals, haha.)

mikemacdee wrote:But you should draw the tilesets and menus yourself to make the art consistent. I guarantee it'll be a bigger hit if you do.

I know I should, I just don't think I have it in me to do the tilesets. The project is not only taking a backseat to my comics, but also already overwhelming enough as it is with the amount of content there is to draw up... And to be honest, although it's inconsistent I kind of like the contrast in styles.

Maybe someday I'll buckle down and try it, but only if I really made some crazy good progress on my other endeavors.
Spoiler! :
Although I do remember reading about a technique for RPGM in which you create maps out of an image you draw/put together outside of the Maker itself and some other jazz, but can't remember what the process is called. I'd certainly be able to look into that sometime.

As for the menu/UI? I love it too much, and I personally think it fits just fine. <3
Seven Rain

Postby Mundius » November 14th, 2013, 9:21 pm

We have to make a Zork inspired adventure game in two weeks, and I have to make a history paper and two major assignments during that time... I can totally do all of that. The game's meant to be sort of difficult (not absurd) but after making it, I'll see whether I can expand and port it to Unity (along with some graphical glitches and noise like an old CRT) and maybe something will come out of that.
Mundius

Postby Seven Rain » November 17th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Aww yiss, I believe I've found a way to randomize loot from chests.
Consequences will never be the same.
Seven Rain

Postby Mundius » November 23rd, 2013, 9:19 pm

Okay, update. I've started the Zork clone assignment today, and while I was bored out of my mind, I opened up VB.NET, looked at my old code, threw up a bit at the syntax of VB (I'm way too used to Java now) and coded this little thing in 15 minutes.

Why is this so special? 1. I've never made a world map before nor have I ever done anything in colour (the development kit I use for the map is black and white). 2. This loads it externally, so I don't have to change code to fix this, barring colour.
Mundius

Postby kevansevans » November 28th, 2013, 12:21 am

I want to show off this puzzle game concept a friend of mine had and that i translated to an actual media.

http://kevansevans.deviantart.com/art/A ... -416403247
kevansevans

Postby Seven Rain » December 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm

I'd normally post this stuff in the Sales thread, but I figured this time it'd be good to put here; RPG Maker VX Ace is on sale.
It's normally the pretty crazy price of 70 bucks, but for those chivalrous landlubbers out there it's down to 17-and-a-half bucks for the next 15 hours. Those wanting the newest, freshest RPG-Making experience for a decent price should hop on this. It's definitely worth it, VX Ace is fantastic.
Seven Rain

Postby Master_72 » December 25th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I'd normally post this stuff in the Sales thread, but I figured this time it'd be good to put here; RPG Maker VX Ace is on sale.
It's normally the pretty crazy price of 70 bucks, but for those chivalrous landlubbers out there it's down to 17-and-a-half bucks for the next 15 hours. Those wanting the newest, freshest RPG-Making experience for a decent price should hop on this. It's definitely worth it, VX Ace is fantastic.

OF ALL THE TIMES TO BE LOW ON CASH

WHAT A WOOOOOORRRLLLLDDDD
Spoiler! :

OFFICIALLY CROWNED CHAMPION OF FORUM GAMES
"You all may play the games, but I win them"
Master_72

Postby Raging Ghost » December 25th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I'd normally post this stuff in the Sales thread, but I figured this time it'd be good to put here; RPG Maker VX Ace is on sale.

And I just recieved a $50 prepaid card. Fine, I'll go bu- Wait, I already bought that just now.
Raging Ghost

Postby Mundius » December 26th, 2013, 10:47 pm

I just updated to Unity 4.3.2 and I'm probably going to see if I can make a text adventure in it.

I just want to use Unity for the nice CRT-like effects and better sound capabilities.
Mundius

Postby sanspants » January 23rd, 2014, 10:26 pm

Ren'py doesn't look nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I could probably do something with this.
Writer. Game designer.

There are no happy endings, because the story never ends.

mitchellbravo wrote:BETWEEN THE LOUD INFINITE ERA????
sanspants

Postby Seven Rain » January 24th, 2014, 12:33 am

sanspants wrote:Ren'py doesn't look nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I could probably do something with this.

Huh. I've always been interested in screwing with VN Makers. I'll check it out next time I'm bored.
Seven Rain

Postby JoKeR » January 29th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
sanspants wrote:Ren'py doesn't look nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I could probably do something with this.

Huh. I've always been interested in screwing with VN Makers. I'll check it out next time I'm bored.

Hm... . Googled it... There seems to be toooo much dating sims made in this engine ...but also some rather unusual interactive and interesting novels as well.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games