The Official Game Development Thread

The Official Game Development Thread

Postby Hunterkirizaki » July 19th, 2013, 8:36 pm

So this was an idea in the Game General thread. This here's a thread for any game development projects here on Smackjeeves, no matter how far into the project you are.

I'm just getting into it, so I don't have much to post, but here's the thread!
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby KirbyHead » July 19th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Here are some resources for people who want to get started:
  • The Big List of Indie Game Links - LOTS of stuff here.
  • TIGSource list of game engines - Some engines you can use for game development. It's kind of outdated (I know some of the information about Unity is a couple of years behind, off the top of my head), but still a good roundup, all in all.
  • Code Academy - for those who want to learn to program. Not required, especially if you're using RPGMaker or Game Maker, but can be helpful if you want to try out different engines or frameworks. I've never used this website, but I hear good things about it.
When I'm less lazy I'll try to gather up some more resources and organize this post a bit.
KirbyHead

Postby Seven Rain » July 19th, 2013, 11:50 pm

RPG Maker VX Ace is love. <3
Unlike older RPGMs it allows for the use of .png images for game content, so a while back I started along the long, hard road of making an RPG with completely original characters, items, enemies, etc. etc.
Pretty much everything graphical other than the tilesets, UI and attack animations will be drawn by me, which is exciting, but will be incredibly time consuming, haha.
For those interested in seeing/reading more, I've got some posts in my Showcase thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4978&start=240#p288781
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4978&start=255#p289144
Seven Rain wrote:I finally have some new stuff to share! Starting with a few more shots of the RPG, which I've been taking a break from to focus on comics;
First off, a shot of some of the weapons, (all drawn in Flash, so no stock icons here;)
Spoiler! :

And here's a very early WIP of the world map, (I'll spoiler it in case anyone would rather wait until the game is finished to see the world map, though much of it is still bare anyway;)
Spoiler! :

Nothing as impressive as a game done from the ground up, but nonetheless I hope I can share it with my fellow SJers one day, even if it's taking a back seat to my comics.
Spoiler! :
I also hope to someday see other RPGM users here to gush about it with. It's fun seeing what others have done with RPGM games, but it'd be far more fun seeing SJers' stuff.
Sonic-ock wrote:
Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Wheres the swear jar.

Look, I'll say whatever the HECK I want whenever I dingle DARN well please!
Seven Rain

Postby Ddraigeneth » July 20th, 2013, 2:01 am

I keep coming up with ideas, but I don't know anything about game coding. I'll probably make myself learn it one of these days, maybe for Unity. Then my husband just has to learn more about modelling organics, and we can be in business.
Ddraigeneth

Postby eishiya » July 20th, 2013, 8:56 am

One of my backburner projects is a 2D RPG game set in the same world as Senka (with some overlap in time, even, so some events from Senka might feature in it). Sadly, so far it's little more than a bunch of location and NPC concept art and notes on story and mechanics. Some of these formulas have been lying around since I was in highschool.

I bought RPG Maker VX Ace since it was on sale recently, but I haven't played around with it yet because I want to focus on my comics first. From what I've read about VX Ace, it doesn't have the features this game will need, sadly. I suspect I'll have to write my own engine for it ._. No harm in making a prototype in RPG Maker, though. At least it'll get me making assets and working on some of the story parts that don't depend on the features I can't implement in RPG Maker, which is more than I'm doing now.

Hey Seven, if you want to gush about VX Ace and laugh at me while I try to find my way around it, add me on Skype or AIM and maybe I can set aside some time each day to work on this thing :F
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » July 20th, 2013, 10:59 am

eishiya wrote:Hey Seven, if you want to gush about VX Ace and laugh at me while I try to find my way around it, add me on Skype or AIM and maybe I can set aside some time each day to work on this thing :F

I've always preferred forum chatting over IMing, (I tend to have too little to say and just cause awkwardness when chatting with people who don't have the most niche interests in common with me,) but yeah sure I can add you, haha. Just dunno when I'll ever be on. @___@
Spoiler! :
And I guess adding more people might give me more motivation to actually use it.

How exactly do I go about adding you on Skype? I can't even remember.

*EDIT*
I hope this post didn't sound too asshole-ish or anything. Sorry if it did.
Last edited by Seven Rain on July 21st, 2013, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic-ock wrote:

Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » August 11th, 2013, 8:02 am

Seven Rain wrote:
eishiya wrote:Hey Seven, if you want to gush about VX Ace and laugh at me while I try to find my way around it, add me on Skype or AIM and maybe I can set aside some time each day to work on this thing :F

I've always preferred forum chatting over IMing, (I tend to have too little to say and just cause awkwardness when chatting with people who don't have the most niche interests in common with me,) but yeah sure I can add you, haha. Just dunno when I'll ever be on. @___@
Spoiler! :
And I guess adding more people might give me more motivation to actually use it.

How exactly do I go about adding you on Skype? I can't even remember.

*EDIT*
I hope this post didn't sound too asshole-ish or anything. Sorry if it did.

Sorry for not replying. I got super sidetracked apparently. If you're not fond of chatting, that's fine! We don't have to Skype.

I think you mentioned a fondness for RPGM's FF-style battle system in another thread. Is that the only option, or can you make other kinds of battle systems in it? I should probably just check myself, but I'm afraid of getting sucked into it.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » August 11th, 2013, 8:22 am

eishiya wrote:I think you mentioned a fondness for RPGM's FF-style battle system in another thread. Is that the only option, or can you make other kinds of battle systems in it? I should probably just check myself, but I'm afraid of getting sucked into it.

Well actually that one is unique to RPG Maker 2003. The majority of the games use a Dragon Quest-style first-person view during battles.
However with the right title and the right scripting/coding all kinds of things can be done. People have made tons of different battle systems.

Unfortunately I'm horrible with scripting and the like, but one of the nice things about VX Ace is the ability to simply enter pre-made scripts others have put together to add features to your game. For example I use one that slightly changes the battle system from a menu with enemies in front of you to showing the characters' little overworld sprites in front of the enemies, like so;

Basically how many options you have for battle systems and other game features comes down to the flexibility of the title you're using and how you feel about learning to script your own stuff and/or use scripts made by others.

Another thing worth noting is that learning scripting and stuff like this isn't required for RPGM games, it's more or less the RPGM equivalent of modding. It's just their for people who want to get really into it and are able to code and stuff.
Sonic-ock wrote:

Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » August 11th, 2013, 8:38 am

I got RPGMVXAL (Ar Pee Gee Maker Vee Ex Ace Lite) and started making a game on that, but now I'm annoyed because I want to get the full version to finish it.
The Lite version disallows editing the script and puts a limit on pretty much everything, including amount of events per map and amount of maps per game. Basically, the game I'm planning would have to be spread across 3 different games. Which is annoying considering it's just eight dungeons. But the full version is like €70 and I missed the steam sale on it.
I can probably afford it and I don't have bills or anythign yet but still, echh.

~~~

Also, I plan on making all of my own graphics for this game, but I have no idea what to do about music. The RTP music isn't that great, the music packs are okay but again cost money, and I'm not sure about using music from other games. The soundtrack would invariably end up being a mishmash of different games from different consoles that wouldn't go well together.
Bowserknight

Postby eishiya » August 11th, 2013, 8:42 am

Seven Rain: I see, thanks! I'm comfortable with programming, so I'll look into coding the system I want. My ideal one is a real time system without a separate battle screen, hopefully I can figure something out. ...later. Comics now, dammit. Comics!

Bowserknight wrote:Also, I plan on making all of my own graphics for this game, but I have no idea what to do about music. The RTP music isn't that great, the music packs are okay but again cost money, and I'm not sure about using music from other games. The soundtrack would invariably end up being a mishmash of different games from different consoles that wouldn't go well together.

Same here. Graphics, no problem. Foley, I can probably manage. But music? Nopenopenope. And I'm not the type to use stock music, so this game will either be musicless and better have some amazing ambient soundscapes, or I need to start saving up to hire a someone.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » August 11th, 2013, 9:06 am

Thankfully music is one of the only things I have no qualms with using outside of my own creation. I've always used actual songs/bands for my fake little soundtracks, haha.
Spoiler! :
I even enjoy the RTP tracks. VX Ace's Town 3 is my World Map theme. <3

I must say though, it's so refreshing seeing interests in RPG Maker around here. I've been such an RPGM lover since playing the PSX version, I've screwed around with the series for years and it's always held a special place in my heart. I know making one of these games takes ages, but I hope I can get a chance to play some of your creations one day.
Sonic-ock wrote:

Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » August 11th, 2013, 9:20 am

Seven Rain wrote:Thankfully music is one of the only things I have no qualms with using outside of my own creation. I've always used actual songs/bands for my fake little soundtracks, haha.
Spoiler! :
I even enjoy the RTP tracks. VX Ace's Town 3 is my World Map theme. <3

I must say though, it's so refreshing seeing interests in RPG Maker around here. I've been such an RPGM lover since playing the PSX version, I've screwed around with the series for years and it's always held a special place in my heart. I know making one of these games takes ages, but I hope I can get a chance to play some of your creations one day.

Oh! of course, I should've realised, the reason my selection of RTP music is bad is because the lite version has only like 10 songs.

And yeah, once I get the full version, which should motivate me, it shouldn't be long before SkullQuest is done. It's 8 shortish dungeons long. i'll spend most of my time doing graphics and redoing dialogue when I think it sounds dumb.
Bowserknight

Postby sanspants » August 11th, 2013, 12:06 pm

For those needing music, it's totally worth hitting up SoundCloud and seeing if you can find people who have released music via Creative Commons. If you're not planning on selling your game, there should be a pretty diverse list of music to choose from.

I have... three projects I'm bouncing around in VX Ace, and one in GameMaker that's really been sitting on the back burner while I nail out the story for it.

Also, thanks for making this thread! It's good to see other game makers 'round here.
Writer. Game designer.

There are no happy endings, because the story never ends.

mitchellbravo wrote:BETWEEN THE LOUD INFINITE ERA????
sanspants

Postby ApaFox » August 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm

I may as well post here since I'm getting into the whole making shinanigians. Well.., I have teh noobs skillz on this though and using an older version.

Anyway, despite having a world map, I'm more concentrating on perfecting this test village in order to get all these variables down. I'll eventually turn it to the starting point proper.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » August 11th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Y'know now that I think about it since you're using 2K3 and I'm never gonna go back and finish the silly game I was making in it, I could always upload what I did get done so you can try it out and fiddle around with it.
The story was silly and the seriousness of it was played for laughs, (it was basically me saying "Fuck it, I'm not even taking the story seriously this time around.") but having an actual game to try out and see the events and stuff for is a decent way to learn. I remember the RPGM on PSX had a built-in game that I used to learn some basics with.
Think you might be interested, Apa?
Sonic-ock wrote:

Seven Rain

Next

Return to Video Games