SMACKJEEVES ULIMATE STARS!

SMACKJEEVES ULIMATE STARS!

Postby Xanden » July 29th, 2013, 12:34 pm

So, I'm considering doing a rom hack of the game Jump Ulimate Stars. The game is a platformer fighter in the style of Super Smash Brothers, but has a koma system that adds a tag-in style similar to the Marvel Vs Capcom series.

If I do start to make this, it would probably only be award winning series, since there are a limted number of series slots in the rom, and attempting to add more would be near impossiable. of course, all authors would be asked first before their characters are put into the game.

But why I'm posting this (and sorry for it being so sloppy and unoffical, if I do make the game I'll put something more professional up) is to see if there would be a demand for such a game. So...thoughts?
Xanden

Re: SMACKJEEVES ULIMATE STARS!

Postby --Floob-- » July 29th, 2013, 1:58 pm

First off, what do you mean by "award-winning series"? Is that used to describe the comics you would choose?

Also, for a character to be added, would you ask the creator, or would they have to come to you?

This seems like a pretty interesting idea, and I'd love to see how it plays out.
--Floob--

Postby FlamingDbag » July 29th, 2013, 8:00 pm

You're better off trying to make something from scratch then try to hack a ROM if you want to make a game like this.
FlamingDbag

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 29th, 2013, 8:41 pm

How much would this alleged game cost?
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby MacSimon » July 29th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Once upon a time, we tried to make a Smack Bros game. We contacted some of the great comics around, called the creators, they accepted and even suggested moves.
Our biggest problem was the programming of such game, so we just...stopped.

So, if you wanna get from comics to game-making... Wish you luck. : )
MacSimon

Postby Seven Rain » July 29th, 2013, 9:24 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:How much would this alleged game cost?

He's talking about doing a Rom Hack, it wouldn't cost anything.
Seven Rain

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 29th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
UrbanMysticDee wrote:How much would this alleged game cost?

He's talking about doing a Rom Hack, it wouldn't cost anything.

You never know.

I admit the idea for the game sounds interesting, and I would probably play it at least once just to see what it was like.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Xanden » July 29th, 2013, 10:28 pm

I'll answer the question above in no particular order.

This game would be completly free, and when downloaded would come with the DS emualtor needed to play.

The advantage of it being a rom hack is it could be able to play it online, even if using emulator. Problem is, I don't know if the game will clash with the non-hacked ROMs, so this could be a non-existing feature. Time will only tale.

Making this would be quiet easy, just time consuming. I alreadly know how to add characters, make stages, and add music (and on that note, anyone who wants to make music for this game is welcome to).

By "award-winning series" I mean the series that have won a Golden Butler award, at any point in time. If their any extra slots, which I would be doubtful about, I would ask the authors themsleves. If their are any extra slots, I'd find the most popular series, and if they're not in the game already, I'd add them to a list and hold a poll for who gets added to the game.

Thanks for the questions, and keep asking them or suggesting stuff. I'm glad to hear the feedback.
Xanden

Postby eishiya » July 29th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Xanden wrote:By "award-winning series" I mean the series that have won a Golden Butler award, at any point in time. If their any extra slots, which I would be doubtful about, I would ask the authors themsleves. If their are any extra slots, I'd find the most popular series, and if they're not in the game already, I'd add them to a list and hold a poll for who gets added to the game.

I think you'd make a better game without this requirement. You're greatly limiting your pool of candidates, and missing out on a lot of good comics with characters that would make for great fighting game characters that haven't won for one reason or another. You should consider each character and how they'd fit into the game. Though it's fine to try to limit yourself to comics that the community knows about, don't make that your primary goal. Making an enjoyable game should be the most important goal.

Also, please do not consider the SJ Awards to be a measure of quality. The goal of the Awards is to get people to read lots of different comics during the voting process, and quite a few of the awards are given for things other than a comic's quality. Also, quite a number of SJA winners never go on to become known among the community, so they'd probably not be very welcome additions to this kind of game.

There's no objective measure of how much the community values a certain comic, so you'll have to do the work yourself based on your impression of the community and the many comics available to you. I recommend doing an open call, and then sorting through the entries. That way, at least you won't have to worry about contacting artists for permission to use their characters and such. You'll need to sort through some crappy entries, of course, but that's something you'd have to do even if you only used the SJA winners, since as I mentioned, many of those wouldn't be suitable for such a game anyway.
eishiya

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 29th, 2013, 10:58 pm

eishiya wrote:I recommend doing an open call, and then sorting through the entries. That way, at least you won't have to worry about contacting artists for permission to use their characters and such. You'll need to sort through some crappy entries, of course, but that's something you'd have to do even if you only used the SJA winners, since as I mentioned, many of those wouldn't be suitable for such a game anyway.

I second this recommendation.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby FlamingDbag » July 29th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Is this just going to be sprite reskins or do you also know how to alter/create character moves?
FlamingDbag

Postby Mundius » July 30th, 2013, 3:14 pm

I thought this was going to be about Smackjeevers beating each other up. I would love to play as Mundius, the cunt who sits on his ass. Fast, hard hitting, very crap defense stats. Or h0ly whose power is based off combos.
Mundius

Postby eishiya » July 30th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Mundius wrote:I thought this was going to be about Smackjeevers beating each other up. I would love to play as Mundius, the cunt who sits on his ass. Fast, hard hitting, very crap defense stats. Or h0ly whose power is based off combos.

Please refrain from using cuss words where they aren't necessary. These forums are meant to be PG-13.

I like that idea, though. It'd also get past the writing issues such a game would likely face.
eishiya

Postby Xanden » July 30th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Each character will be based upon a character in the original rom, but I will change attacks and such accordingly, to make everyone feel like a fresh and brand new character.

Some admins may make it in the game but I dunno, I'd rather it be the series of smackjeeves crossing over. The story is already written and simple enough:

The world of smackjeeves is in danger of an evil villain, who is combining the worlds of each webcomic. It's up to you, the hero, to go in and beat everyone up to save the world.

Basically, each comic is a world in the smackjeeves universe.
Xanden

Return to Video Games