KID/SQUID HANGOUT (Splatoon Thread)

Re: KID/SQUID HANGOUT (Splatoon Thread)

Postby Seven Rain » July 26th, 2017, 1:41 am

HalfAssedChaos wrote:Which weapon is the one you like?

Well like I said I really like the unconventional ones. The Roller has always been a favorite of mine, even now that I can aim, (in the first game I used Rollers out of necessity since right stick aiming was screwed up,) and I love the brush and bucket, I just do terrible with them.
It doesn't help that I keep forgetting how much of online is just getting stomped by people with better gear. There's no real rhyme or reason to matchmaking so I keep getting into rooms with level 3's and level 22's and sometimes the damage difference on weapons is noticeable.

For now I've just been suffering with the fun weapons until I get sick of losing, then switch to the Aerospray MG and literally run the room. 9/10 matches with that thing I end up first place on the winning team, it's way broken compared to my other weapons.

*EDIT*
Just rechecked the store and apparently at level 10 I can get a version of the brush that I've seen people do some crazy lethal stuff with. Pretty excited to try it out.

HalfAssedChaos wrote:I'm sure a Deco or some other version

"Deco"...? Is that something that got introduced later in the first game, or am I just remembering poorly?
Splatoon makes me feel like an old man because I'm so used to other games and shooters using conventional and consistent naming schemes, but I can't really put effort into learning all the crazy lingo of this game.
I really did kinda bow out of Splatoon 1 pretty early, though. There were a lot of updates after I stopped playing. I kept telling myself to get back into it but that aiming problem was just brutal.

HalfAssedChaos wrote:I've found it the hardest to use too, but you need to make use of its ability to shoot through walls and use it on the complete other side of the map to basically back up your team on the front lines. At least that's the best way I've seen it used so far.

I've used weapons like it in other games, like DOOM '16 and Time Splitters, but not having an aiming reticle just makes it too brutal. It's hard enough hitting a speedy inkling with a slow beam that takes a few hits to kill, but add to that having to guesstimate where the beam will actually fire without a crosshair/reticle and it's just terrible.

I will say this, though; Despite all my criticisms it is a lot more fun than the first game. I might not enjoy playing it for long sessions like I do DOOM, (though having friends helps with that. None of my local friends owns a Switch and the game never lets me join with online friends, but in PS4 shooters I always have buddies to join up with and play on a team in the same room. Can't beat that level of communication!) but I'm still enjoying Splatoon 2 too much to call it buyer's remorse.

Spoiler! :
I think I was too hung up on the aiming issue in the first game that now a build-up of criticism is pouring out of me having played the game with proper controls. That or I'm just being bitter. I think a lot of my issues with Splatoon stems from Nintendo and their devs wanting to be their "wacky" selves and push a bit too hard to be "different" and in doing so abandon lots of online shooter conventions that would make the game a lot more fun. Such as making custom loadouts or making it easier to join friends, (they could at least let you spectate a match while waiting for a free spot to join in.)
Some balancing in general couldn't hurt, either. Like I said the difference between using a Roller and using the Aerospray is night and day. Not to mention if they're going to make weapons that suck at covering ground they should find a way to keep you from gimping your point gain by playing them. It's like when Mario Kart 8 had official trailers/directs make reference to certain parts not being good for winning races but looking pretty, and me and my friends just threw our arms up and shook our heads.

Nintendo just loves to fool around on that fine line between unique and detached.
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » July 26th, 2017, 8:51 am

Ah, yeah the updates that came added a lot! Like, triple the weapon count from when the game launched, and extra 30 levels to gain, and a wealth of awesome stages.

So in the next year we will see continuous release of new weapons, that will likely be of the same weapon trees so new Rollers, Chargers, and so on. But they will have special skins and be called like "Deco" or "Custom" and though their stats may be the same they will have different loadouts.

Also don't dismiss the non gun options, they have their place if Splatoon 1 is any indicator. There's a lot of new people playing right now and the base gun is the most well rounded and easiest to get used to. But a good composed team needs more. You need to be really sneaky with the rollers and the paintbrushes, chargers need to have good swim speed to bolt around the map and precise aim to pick off enemies, blasters need to know their range to a T. Sloshers are situational (Though one of my favorite weapons I admittedly blow with em), but can get to people under cover. I hope they bring out a slosher with the poison mist bomb, Trislosher had it in the last one and it was one of my mains.

As for the point deal, Ranked baby. You see a lot more diversity in ranked where you don't get points based on inked ground. If you win you get cash, if you lose you don't. So you want a well composed team that can cover multiple roles.

Splatoon was the first online multiplayer game I really REALLY got into and led me into Overwatch. I could honestly keep talking about it for pages and pages with strats and all that, but I'll just leave it at...Splatoon 2 is a great sequel in my mind and I plan on playing it for a long long time. Splatfest go team Marie-na Ketchup!
Half Assed Chaos, The Worst Webcomic...EVER!
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Seven Rain » July 26th, 2017, 11:11 am

HalfAssedChaos wrote:As for the point deal, Ranked baby. You see a lot more diversity in ranked where you don't get points based on inked ground. If you win you get cash, if you lose you don't. So you want a well composed team that can cover multiple roles.

Looks like that's what I'll be trying out next time I'm on. Just hit level 10 last night before calling it quits.

*EDIT*
Let it be known to all.
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » August 3rd, 2017, 9:51 am

Splatfest this weekend. Get ready to defend out beloved Ketchup, or the vile egg concoction of Mayo (which I honestly like a lot more than ketchup but team Marie-na 4lyfe).

If you haven't already, go claim your t shirt and gear up, the concert starts tomorrow night!
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Seven Rain » August 3rd, 2017, 1:04 pm

HalfAssedChaos wrote:Get ready to defend out beloved Ketchup, or the vile egg concoction of Mayo (which I honestly like a lot more than ketchup but team Marie-na 4lyfe).

I'll defend that disgusting vile egg concoction to the grave. Not for me, not for Pearl, but for Hijikata.
Seven Rain

Postby Jpolte » August 3rd, 2017, 4:51 pm

I'm on the team mayo, I started to enjoy mayo on my sandwiches.
I do like Ketchup as well but from where I'm at, Ketchup goes well with fries but does not go well on hotdogs,
Jpolte

Postby HalfAssedChaos » August 4th, 2017, 9:25 am

Jpolte wrote:does not go well on hotdogs,

Haurk....Fwpps..bu....guuuuuh....Heooork!

Spoiler! :
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Seven Rain » August 4th, 2017, 12:18 pm

HalfAssedChaos wrote:
Jpolte wrote:does not go well on hotdogs,

Haurk....Fwpps..bu....guuuuuh....Heooork!

I'm a mustard man myself. Only places I use ketchup is fries and grilled cheese.
Spoiler! :
I don't eat mayo at all, though.

*EDIT*
THE MAYO RAINO SUPREMEO.
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » August 7th, 2017, 8:52 am

Seven Rain wrote:THE MAYO RAINO SUPREMEO.

We may have lost, but it was worth it to see all the new #NotMyCondiment posts going up on peoples artworks. Freakin hilarious!
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Oly-RRR » August 8th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Newly converted reporting here! :lol: Haven't played the first Splatoon (it was THE game I was considering buying Wii U for buuut it was getting outdated by then, and then Switch was announced)... but I'm REALLY enjoying the second one! :mrgreen:

And yeah, kinda miffed with Mayo winning - I partly blame it on Nintendo because man, I could only play one battle out of four that night due to connection problems (could be my own connection problems but unlikely). Do they repeat Splatfest themes? I'd be curious to see how Cats Versus Dogs turns out. :?

Haven't really played much Salmon Run or Ranked Battles yet because it seems geared towards more skilful people. Oh well, more fun for later!
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby DracheLehre » August 14th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Made it to Profreshinal an Salmon Run!
DracheLehre

Postby Raging Ghost » August 28th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Anybody checked out the Splat Brella?
Raging Ghost

Postby HalfAssedChaos » August 29th, 2017, 8:21 am

Played around with it a bit. I like it and I think it has good potential, particularly in rain maker. It will be good as a defense for the carrier and to quickly make lanes. The loadout gives you a lot of points in turf war as well. I was consistently pulling about 1000 per match give or take, though my k/d wasn't so great. Takes practice to remember you can pull out a shield as a major part of your kit.
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Raging Ghost » September 1st, 2017, 8:16 pm

I'm starting to dig the Heavy Splatling.
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » September 1st, 2017, 8:20 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:I'm starting to dig the Heavy Splatling.

Yeah, it's pretty fun. I can't carry a team with it or anything, but it's good times mowing down enemies with it.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games