General Gaming

Re: The Gaming Thread.

Postby Seven Rain » May 29th, 2011, 5:46 pm

TerminalMontage wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:
"We wanted to come in and revolutionize Final Fantasy, which is exactly what they need," the brothers told Sweden's Aftonbladet in a far-reaching article on the demise of the once-mighty studio. "The latest version sucks of course."

... Anywhere near SE's series. And who the hell names a FF game "Fortress" anyway?
It probably would've ended up being the video game equivalent of Spirits Within.

Nonsense, some outsider influence is exactly what a Sqeenix game could've used. Final Fantasy XIV is the video game equivalent of Spirits Within.

Not outsider influence from a lame western dev who makes a couple games based off of movies and is pretentious enough to think they're exactly what SE needs in their games. The fact that they wanted to name it "Fortress" already makes me queasy. Besides, Versus and Type-0 are still going to be amazing and have been in development for nearly as long as FFXIII. Square isn't getting as rusty as everyone's saying they are, they're just taking too damn long to release their good stuff this gen.
And nah, even if FFXIV is poorly made it's not really the Spirits Within equivalent. What I'd consider the Spirits Within equivalent is any FF game that falls into Western hands and ends up straying from it's roots in favor of conforming to western audiences. You know, like the DmC reboot. *Shivers*

Raging Ghost wrote:What's your opinion about the maintenance on May 31th?

I dunno. I'm still settling with a "wait and see" mindset.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » May 29th, 2011, 6:03 pm

TerminalMontage wrote:Are they still making that? Ever since someone pointed out on youtube that the guy who is in charge of production made Dante look like him, I haven't heard a thing.

Same here. I don't want to get optimistic and say it may have been canceled, but at the very least it's nice never having to see the new Dante's face all over Joystiq and other news sites.
I'd rather hear more about Asura's Wrath. I've grown to accept that DMC will likely end with 4 in my eyes, and am now eagerly awaiting another mind-blowingly-awesome-soundtrack-filled trailer for Asura's Wrath. UNF, DAT MUSIC!
Spoiler! :
Also, I love the top comments on one of the other Asura's Wrath trailers;
More manly than Captain Falcon, more hate than Kratos, and bigger balls than Dante....

This dude is Smashing everybody because he is still angry about the new DMC

These gave me a good laugh.

TerminalMontage wrote:UGH. IT GROWS ON ME.

One of us... One of us...
See? No matter how annoyed you get by the story, there's no denying just how solid and enjoyable the KH games are. :D
Hell, I still need to get back to BBS and finish the other two stories... I've just been hesitant to take my PSP to work with me. That exposed screen gets me really paranoid about having it with me at work, and keeping it in it's case would make it to bulky to keep in my pocket for 8 hours.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever finish 2? And yeah, the beginning sucks as much as the brat you have to control throughout it. Be strong, my friend. Fill your mind with images of Destiny Island until you're controlling Sora again.
Seven Rain

Postby KonaTobennh » May 29th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Teaching a little kid how to beat Bass GX on Mega Man Battle Network 6: Gregar.

And by teaching, I mean, "Forcing him to fight until he wins."

Delicious.
KonaTobennh

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2011, 6:19 pm

theres no difference dude. Forcing is the new teaching =D

Postby Seven Rain » May 29th, 2011, 6:39 pm

TerminalMontage wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you ever finish 2? And yeah, the beginning sucks as much as the brat you have to control throughout it. Be strong, my friend. Fill your mind with images of Destiny Island until you're controlling Sora again.

I never beat 2. I WOULDN'T BE PLAYING IT AGAIN IF I DID SILLY. And, Dream Drop Distance looks really dumb with it's whole raining Sora's thing. BUT THE GAMEPLAY LOOKS COOL CAUSE YOU JUMP OFF WALLS SO I GUESS I'LL BUY IT.

Well I myself have already beaten 1 and 2 and still enjoy playing them, so I didn't know, haha. Well anyways, just keep in mind that the final world and it's boss fights are amazing. Hopefully that'll make up for all the annoyances.

Also, I think KH3D looks pretty cool. I like that you play as Sora and Riku in their original appearances. And I believe Nomura stated it's going to be more of a major entry than the previous DS games. It's supposed to be more along the lines of BBS than the Coded games, which gets me pretty excited.
I mean the raining Soras thing is weird, but it's Kingdom Hearts. Weird trippy stuff like that happening is pretty standard, especially in opening FMVs, haha.

TerminalMontage wrote:Also, lol check out this Fortress tech demo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzdzYbEWOg LOOKS LIKE FINAL FANTASY XIV HAR HAR.

I must admit it looks more Final Fantasy-ish than I expected, but it still looks... Iunno. The character designs bug me.
The Chocobo was cool, but nothing of value was lost if you ask me.

*EDIT*
I just did the "I Hate Teddies!" challenge of the Challenge Tower... I... I just... I love that so much. I was laughing so hard at the dialogue.
And as if Mileena couldn't get any more endearing.

All this extra stuff though, kinda makes me wish there was a larger degree of customization in the game. Like, the developers put all this extra effort into it... So why can't the player, say... Play as Mileena holding a Teddy bear? Why can't we play as the humorous Director or the minions that run at you in the minigame?

I just don't like it when Fighters fall short of their full potential. Especially when it's a game that's already this good! MK is amazing, and yet with a little more freedom it could've been that much better! Keeping in custom soundtracks, letting us play as boss characters and event characters, letting us have at least a tiny bit of character customization, at least letting us choose which music plays on which level so I can fight to The Pit music all I want... Fighter devs need to remember the things that keep their games interesting; content and freedom. Even a kickass story and amazing soundtrack like GG/BB don't keep me entertained as long as fighters with tons of content and no limitations.

Again, not that I don't love the new MK to death, but if there's so much content in the game why does so much of it have to be unusable by the player? Let me play as the nameless cyborg, let me fight with a teddy bear in Mileena's hand, let me play as Goro, LET ME FIGHT TO THE THEME SONG FROM THE MOVIE AND ALL THE OTHER KILLER STUFF ON MY PS3'S HDD, COME ON GUYS! D:
Seven Rain

Postby Mr Aids » May 30th, 2011, 12:09 am

TerminalMontage wrote:So, Terraria. How is it?

You just explore randomly generated levels? Is there any goal or purpose to it? Doesn't really seem like a 2D Minecraft, I didn't see any building in the trailer. Is it fun, are there bosses? It looks like the type of game that would get boring fast, but I'm hearing other wise. There is character customization right? :D

Well unlike Minecraft, Terraria is a full game from what my friend tells me. And it doesn't look like it has much substance. I'm going to stick with Minecraft.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Seven Rain » May 30th, 2011, 12:27 am

TerminalMontage wrote:So, Terraria. How is it?

You just explore randomly generated levels? Is there any goal or purpose to it? Doesn't really seem like a 2D Minecraft, I didn't see any building in the trailer. Is it fun, are there bosses? It looks like the type of game that would get boring fast, but I'm hearing other wise. There is character customization right? :D

Trust me, there's tons of building. It really does work like Minecraft in many ways. You break apart materials and place them wherever you want, or craft them into different materials to build with and so on. Go check out the screens posted in the Terraria thread. Building an awesome castle is half the fun of the game if you ask me. Especially since this game gives you a bit of a wider variety of decorative items than Minecraft does. Chandeliers, potted plants, candles, tables, beds, chairs, etc...

If you're entertained by Minecraft and love 2D games, this should entertain you just as much. So far I actually enjoy it much more than Minecraft. I still love Minecraft but this one gives me all the mining/crafting/building but with nostalgic 2D graphics, awesome music, and an all around bigger emphasis on combat. There are indeed bosses, as well as character customization. Since you're nothing but a SNES-era FF-esque sprite, there's not much base customization aside from hairstyle and hair/eyes/skin/outfit colors. The real customization is in the armor and weapon crafting, which there's plenty of.

For 10 bucks it's a steal. I recommend the hell out of it, and if you're on the fence, just look up gameplay vids and check out some of the screens we've posted in the Terraria thread. It really is a great game.

Mr Aids wrote:And it doesn't look like it has much substance.

What exactly do you mean by that...? So far it's proven to have just as much if not more content than Minecraft.
Trust me, if you give this game a chance you'll probably love it.
Seven Rain

Postby Mr Aids » May 30th, 2011, 12:35 am

Seven Rain wrote:

What exactly do you mean by that...? So far it's proven to have just as much if not more content than Minecraft.

Well it looks like it's entertaining at first but you'd get bored of it quite quickly. I saw my friend play it last night, it doesn't look like I'd enjoy it.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2011, 12:42 am

LA Noire.
Man, this...this game is amazing.

Postby Seven Rain » May 30th, 2011, 1:26 am

Mr Aids wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

Well it looks like it's entertaining at first but you'd get bored of it quite quickly. I saw my friend play it last night, it doesn't look like I'd enjoy it.

Fair enough. I haven't come close to getting bored of it, yet got bored of Minecraft before I got too far into it. They're both great games, but to each their own, as always
I do plan on trying Minecraft again sometime, though... But Terraria just appeals to me so much more. <3
Seven Rain

Postby FlamingDbag » May 30th, 2011, 4:00 am

Seven Rain wrote:
FlamingDbag wrote:Guys I need some help, you think these are good games/buys?
Spoiler! :
Armored core $20* (Already bought, it was For Answer)

Armored core FF (PSP) $27- (Doesn't seem like there's much to do in it...)

8gb PSP card $15 (I USED TO have a 8gb until a stupid incident happened, getting this would be smart...)

Goldeneye $34- (Don't know if it's worth $34, and yes I have people to do SS with.)

Assassin's Creed 2 $15 (I'm highly likely to get this)

Genesis collection $16- (Really it'll just be for Shinobi 3, so I don't know if I should get it or not.)

No more heroes $18 (TIME TO FINALLY GET THIS)

No more heroes 2 $25 (THIS TOO, but I'm not sure if getting this will make NMH1 pointless to buy)

Brutal Legend $15 (Friend wants me to play it, since he's getting AC:FA because I told him to I'll be nice and probably get it.)

Madworld $14 (The dialogue alone makes me think about buying it)

Assassin's Creed 2 for that price is a good buy, though if you wait for PSN to come back up and are willing to pay a bit more you can get it as a download and not worry about a disc. Probably doens't make that big a difference for you, but it's a nice convenience, especially if it's a $20 download, though it might still be at 30... In which case fuck the download version.
NMH is a must, and I'd wait before getting the sequel. The first will give you plenty to do, and NMH2 is a direct sequel, so playing it before finishing the first will likely give lots of spoilers.
Genesis Collection is pretty fun, and yeah, Shinobi III is like the best game there but there are plenty of other fun ones too, including the first two Sonic games, the Vectorman games, and Comix Zone. I'd wait for PSN to come back up though, because that one you can download, (which I did,) and unless my memory is failing me it's only 10 bucks as a download.
Brutal Legend can get boring and the online play is full of cheap players who love to do that game's equivalent of Zerg Rushing, but for 15 bucks it's definitely worth it for the amazing soundtrack alone.
Madworld I've yet to play, but it's by Platinum games, who are gaming gods at this point. Everything they've made has been downright amazing, and the upcoming Anarchy Reigns is gonna be full of Madworld characters, which might be a bit more fun if you've actually played Madworld. Also, Steven Blum voices the main character, so yeah. The dialogue could be the most poorly written drivel on the planet and still be awesome.

The other games there I would say aren't worth the price, ('cept ACFA, but you already got that one,) and the memory stick is your call. That's a good price, but it's up to you whether you need the memory or not, not really a "recommend or not" kinda thing.

Do you suggest I don't get NMH2 for now then or am I probably going to want to jump straight into 2 as soon as I finish 1?

I again have no real idea if I should get GE or not. Story looks alright, it's probably the only offline 4-player FPS I've seen this gen so far (that's kinda depressing to say...), and online I can tell I'm not going to care about for anything much longer then 5 minutes. Honestly even though singleplayer looks interesting it's really just for the 4-player split screen. Also I'm not too keen on it being that similar to COD, but if it doesn't have that fucking retarded sounding concept of air-strike rewards, well it's already done SOMETHING right...

Thanks for yet again helping my endless sort-of nonsense questions...
FlamingDbag

Postby Seven Rain » May 30th, 2011, 11:21 am

FlamingDbag wrote:Do you suggest I don't get NMH2 for now then or am I probably going to want to jump straight into 2 as soon as I finish 1?

Nah, the first game doesn't really end with a cliffhanger or anything. (Unless you count the ending you get if you don't get the True Ending, but that doesn't really count.) It's a rather open ending, so you won't feel like jumping into the second for any reasons other than wanting more NMH.
Plus, you might want to play through NMH more than once anyways. After the first time you beat it you can do a New Game + with a different difficulty and carry all your money over, which would basically let you shoot straight through the bosses without earning money via minigames in between like you have to do your first time through.
Seven Rain

Postby Amante » May 30th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Erdgeist wrote:LA Noire.
Man, this...this game is amazing.

I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it.

So sad story guys, you guys, my PS3 has finally broken down after having it since launch. I'm glad it's lasted this long but it sucks that it blew up. Now I have to go buy a stupid smaller non backwards compatible one. Le sigh, oh well. RIP broface.
Any SJ related questions? Feel free to look around, and if you can't find an answer, make a topic here and we'll get to you as fast as we can! :D

BlackBlade Rising revamp COMING SOON!
Amante

Postby gameboy+micron » May 30th, 2011, 1:54 pm

There's a real lack of gaming news lately, where are all the E3 leaks and predictions?
gameboy+micron

Postby Seven Rain » May 30th, 2011, 2:18 pm

gameboy+micron wrote:There's a real lack of gaming news lately, where are all the E3 leaks and predictions?

I know, it's insane. It's like the one year I'm unable to sit at home like a lazy shit and watch all the conferences is the year that everyone's really holding out on the leaks and news. :C

There's going to be too much stuff for me and my little 5 hours of free time to handle. I'll probably get to bed late and get hardly any sleep after E3, 'cuz I am gonna check out every single damn piece of news and footage that gets released.
Spoiler! :
'Cept Microsoft's stuff, of course.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games