Most disappointing games ever

Re: Most disappointing games ever

Postby ApaFox » January 16th, 2012, 1:01 am

NitztheBloody wrote:Maybe I'm alone in liking the cel-shaded style of Wind Waker

You will find that in this forum you are now among friends.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby RyoSoulreaper » January 16th, 2012, 1:09 am

NitztheBloody wrote:Zelda: Twilight Princess. Maybe I'm alone in liking the cel-shaded style of Wind Waker, but a patchwork of Ocarina of Time and Lord of the Rings wasn't the best visual direction for them to go in.

I agree with you bro.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Seven Rain » January 16th, 2012, 1:17 am

I liked TP's style and WW's style. :C

Though it took me some time to warm up to TP. I often phased in and out of liking it and hating it, but now I've come to terms with loving it and overall I think it was more unique than people give it credit for. Primarily in the atmosphere department.
Seven Rain

Postby RyoSoulreaper » January 16th, 2012, 1:32 am

Seven Rain wrote:I liked TP's style and WW's style. :C

Though it took me some time to warm up to TP. I often phased in and out of liking it and hating it, but now I've come to terms with loving it and overall I think it was more unique than people give it credit for. Primarily in the atmosphere department.

I like the Atmosphere and wolf uniqueness but as I said in the Zelda thread them dungeons were so bloody boring for me. The boss battles where awesome as shit, the graphics where god damn amazing but the dungeons......the core......fell short for me.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2012, 5:27 am

NitztheBloody wrote:Zelda: Twilight Princess. Maybe I'm alone in liking the cel-shaded style of Wind Waker, but a patchwork of Ocarina of Time and Lord of the Rings wasn't the best visual direction for them to go in.

I never understood what was so wrong with WW's art style. It was so cuuute~

maybe it was just too "cute" for the hyper-macho gamers insecure in their masculinity. :?

Postby trenton_dawn » February 1st, 2012, 5:33 am

Seven Rain wrote:I liked TP's style and WW's style. :C

I agree with this 100%. I did feel Twilight Princess had boring dungeons, but I find most Zelda dungeons to be pretty boring so I didn't mind too much.

Most disappointing game for me is probably Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm not saying it was a bad game; in fact, I thought it was good. But my expectations were so high that I was expecting something more...and mostly expecting something different.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby FlamingDbag » February 1st, 2012, 6:14 am

Actually talking about Brawl, in the end final smashes turned out very inconsistent-working with too many characters (Lucario, DK, pretty much anyone who doesn't have a cinematic smash/smashes that don't become less efficient on larger stages such as Marth, Link, Pkmn Trainer...). Seriously Lucario's is fucking terrible on anything that isn't a small stage.
Also tripping. My response to that is simply just WHY?
FlamingDbag

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2012, 12:20 am

The car racing games are mostly disappointing games for me.

Postby MarioKong » February 3rd, 2012, 12:58 am

Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4.
MarioKong

Postby Crystalbear » February 14th, 2012, 2:07 am

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, Diddy Kong Racing DS.

I mean, I enjoyed the original one for the N64, but this one wasn't nearly quite as fun at all. Some of the Taj missions were nearly damn impossible to do (the blowing out the torch one mostly), and was enough to make me give up on the game for several months actually, though I did managed to pull it through eventually after like, a year of not playing? Taj's voice was also the most creepiest thing ever, they should have tried to keep the original voice, or at least hire another guy who could do the Indian accent. Unless they figured it was stereotypical or something, and I guess it was, but you didn't have to replace it with THAT CREEPY VOICE, Rare. I hated talking to Taj in the remake for that reason alone, whereas he was a lot more charming and enjoyable in the original.

Not to mention, the racer's stats on the character selection screen lie, the silver coin challenge was replaced with the balloon challenge to make use of the touch screen, and getting the bonus boost at the start required spinning something or blowing into the mic. I often just never bothered with it at all. Ultimately, I think DKRDS makes too much use of the touch screen, they should have just followed the same route as Mario Kart DS.

The lack of Banjo and Conker is also disappointing, but it's an understandable one. What I don't get is why they made Tiny into a teenager whereas Dixie is left unchanged since her last appearance in DKC3. Like, they're sisters too, so shouldn't Dixie have also gotten taller? She's supposedly the older sister too...

Edit: Oh, oh, while I'm also going on about Rare...

Caution: VERY LONG RANT.
Spoiler! :
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

When it was first announced, I was so freaking excited. At long last, we were finally about to get the damn game that had been long rumored and teased about for roughly a whole decade. Sure I was a bit bothered by the new art style, but I figured that I would just get used to it. I mean, it's freaking Banjo-Threeie! Finally!

And as more info was released, the more and more unsure I got about it. I didn't like the sounds of using a car to get around and solve puzzles, it just seemed to stray away too much from the BK forumla that I had loved for all of these years. But I kept trying to tell myself to keep an open mindset, and that maybe I will get used to it. Then eventually I got the game as a gift for Christmas, and after a bit, had popped it into my 360 to play.

I was met with nothing but sheer disappointment and anger.

The text was so damn small that I had to sit very close to the wide screen TV to read it, and even then I still couldn't catch all of it. Supposedly that was fixed in an update, but my 360 isn't connected to the internet, and I cannot be bothered to do that, so that problem in my disc will never be fixed. I was then later met with the game's new villain, some sort of warlock guy with a TV screen playing Pong for a head named LOG...

...What the fuck is that. Seriously. Okay sure I get Grunty too but, the fuck? And to make matters worse, LOG won't shut up about how the entire world is nothing but a video game, making an effort to break the fourth wall at every chance he gets. I'm perfectly aware that the other BK games did break the fourth wall, but they were mostly one liners here and there. With LOG, it was at every damn moment. The world of the Isle O' Hags was no longer that fairy tale-like setting that I adored in the original BK, it's a video game world that LOG likes to make perfectly clear. Like hell no, I want to escape from reality and enter a make believe world where anything is impossible, and not be constantly reminded that it's nothing but a game. Not even 5 minutes into the game, and I already disliked LOG. In fact, I would now say that he, in my opinion, is one of the worst villains ever created for a video game.

Now here's the part that especially annoyed me the most about the game. The car. So shortly after I enter Showdown Town, I was introduced to the car and its GODDAMN SHITTY CONTROLS. The thing has the most lousy steering controls ever, and 90% of the time, I was crashing into walls. Drive forward, crash into wall, back up, drive, crash, back up, drive, crash. And because of how tiny the text was, I couldn't get every little detail about driving it or customizing it. So then I was later tasked with driving the car up this spiral hill. IT. WAS. IMPOSSIBLE. I was literally stuck there because how HORRIBLE the steering controls were, stuck between the wall and the fence. After 10 minutes of trying to do it the 'proper way', I said to myself "Screw this", and used the wand to pick up the car and take it up with me instead.

It got to the point where Banjo, as slow as he is, is able to get somewhere much faster on feet than by car.

Then... the worlds... Unlike the other games however, the "worlds" aren't so much worlds, they're more like stages with one jiggy per stage. And each "stage" had its own door you had to go through in the hub world. So instead of going to one world where you could potentially pick up all of the jiggies in one visit, it was in the form of stages. I did not like it at all. It, along with everything else in the game, was just too different from other games.

Ultimately, BK:N&B was extremely disappointing. I was so disappointed with it, that I never played it again. Like seriously. I only collected two jiggies and never took it out again. This game had completely ruined my trust in Rare. They betrayed my childhood. I was waiting for 10 years for a REAL Banjo-Threeie, only to get an ugly piece of crap with tons of gameplay changes that attempted to fix something that wasn't broken.

And Rare's excuse for these changes? "The old style of things, art and gameplay, will not interest the new generation of people. It is time to move forward." I was so angry when I read that in an interview.

I'll still love the *OLD* Rare, like SNES to N64 days, but the new Rare... I liked Viva Pinata, but that's it. Rare is dead to me as a company, and it may as well what with its old staff members leaving it. I hope they shut down at this point.

Frankly, maybe I would have had better thoughts on BK:N&B if it was its own game and not a sequel of the BK series. But it unfortunately is.
Crystalbear

Postby Froken Keke » February 14th, 2012, 10:37 am

Crystalbear wrote:Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

I consider this a very underrated game, as no one seems to like it, when it's really a very cool and unique game. It gets so much shit just because people expected Banjo-Threeie, and that's sort of the thing about it, it's not Banjo-Threeie.
Had this game been made as it's own franchise, I promise you it would've been much more appreciated. It's actually rather sad when Rare, who pretty much make a living of making the same games as Nintendo(which is not a bad thing, seeing as mostly they just improve on the general experience without plagiarizing), finally makes something new and original that hasn't been done before, and everyone hate it.
The really great thing about Nuts & Bolts is how it completely evolves and expand the racing genre, that has been about the same thing over and over and over. I guess it's sort of a continuation of Diddy Kong Racing, a game that expanded on the karting genre by adding an adventure mode. In Nuts & Bolts you basically get all kinds of missions and objectives to complete with your vehicle, and not just races, there are loads of different tasks to do, but what makes it great is how you do it. It all revolves around you customizing your vehicle for the situations, which is done so fucking well. The games engine is fantastic and works really well, there are so many things to do, and so many ways to do them. It allows you to be creative and think outside the box when doing your objectives. Even the slightest detail matters, I especially remember sitting for hours on a certain mission, that revolved around driving of a ramp and going as far as possible(or if it was staying in the air as long as possible, something like that). I changed the design of my vehicle all the time, and got different results for each change, I found myself sitting a lot longer with that than necessary, just trying to beat my highscore.
In other instances you had to come up with a whole new way of doing something, and the best part about it is that it never felt boring or repetitive. I completely adored that game, because it was just as much about skill as it was about thinking hard and being creative. Most of the time I didn't even think about it being a Banjo-Kazooie game, but when I did, I didn't really mind that it was different from the older ones.
Now, don't get me wrong, the older ones, and especially the first, are still fantastic games, and I'd definitely say that atleast the first one is better, but Nuts & Bolts is still a very great and well made game. Hating it just because it's not like the other ones feels shallow, and in the end, you only hinder yourself from enjoying it by ranting about how it has the wrong protagonists.

Another thing I have to point out is that the steering in the beginning of the game is supposed to be bad, by playing more you get better parts and the vehicle handled better. You should've played further than just two jiggies.

(Also, L.O.G. isn't a villain.)

Actually, this whole argument applies to pretty much every sequel that happens to be a bit different, and thus get hated for no reason. Starfox Adventures comes to mind.
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
Froken Keke

Postby Seven Rain » February 14th, 2012, 10:42 am

Froken Keke wrote:Starfox Adventures comes to mind.

But wasn't Adventures more like Wind Waker in that everyone thought it was going to be stupid but then fell in love with it once people actually played it? I feel like there are sequels out there that get a lot more flack than Adventures. Hell, sometimes they don't even diverge too much from the original. Good luck finding someone who's played the Alundra games and doesn't see Alundra 2 as a complete blasphemy that should never exist in comparison to the first. Other than me of course. I loved Alundra 2 so much. ;___;
Seven Rain

Postby Advertisement » February 14th, 2012, 11:04 am

Sonic Generations. The Story aspect, at least. They could have done so much more with it. So many missed opportunities. But, I guess Sega is too butt-hurt about their past mistakes to make fun of themselves. The final boss also sucked. They could have used so many other battles from the series such as the Doomsday Zone. But nope. They use some kind of God Mosnter with a Generic theme and fight. They could have at least brought back the final boss from Sonic 3 and Knuckles. They already had the theme remixed. But no. That was saved for the shitty 3ds version.
Advertisement

Postby Seven Rain » February 14th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Seeing YT vids and stuff it feels like they went with a much more cheesy/cartoony route with the story in Generations, which I'm sure felt refreshing for some but the overly-serious plots of some of the later Sonic games were actually a guilty pleasure of mine, haha. It feels like I should've grown out of that stuff after middleschool but I still love stuff like Chaos, the Biolizard and Black Doom.
Hell, I probably would've played 06 if it weren't for the talk of terrible/buggy gameplay, and... That whole Sonic kissing a human girl thing.
Seven Rain

Postby RyoSoulreaper » February 15th, 2012, 12:46 am

Seven Rain wrote:Hell, I probably would've played 06 if it weren't for the talk of terrible/buggy gameplay, and... That whole Sonic kissing a human girl thing.

And it had so much potential too...................
RyoSoulreaper

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games