Most disappointing games ever

Re: Most disappointing games ever

Postby Crystalbear » February 15th, 2012, 1:03 am

Froken Keke wrote:
Crystalbear wrote:Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

I consider this a very underrated game, as no one seems to like it, when it's really a very cool and unique game. It gets so much shit just because people expected Banjo-Threeie, and that's sort of the thing about it, it's not Banjo-Threeie.
Had this game been made as it's own franchise, I promise you it would've been much more appreciated. It's actually rather sad when Rare, who pretty much make a living of making the same games as Nintendo(which is not a bad thing, seeing as mostly they just improve on the general experience without plagiarizing), finally makes something new and original that hasn't been done before, and everyone hate it.
The really great thing about Nuts & Bolts is how it completely evolves and expand the racing genre, that has been about the same thing over and over and over. I guess it's sort of a continuation of Diddy Kong Racing, a game that expanded on the karting genre by adding an adventure mode. In Nuts & Bolts you basically get all kinds of missions and objectives to complete with your vehicle, and not just races, there are loads of different tasks to do, but what makes it great is how you do it. It all revolves around you customizing your vehicle for the situations, which is done so fucking well. The games engine is fantastic and works really well, there are so many things to do, and so many ways to do them. It allows you to be creative and think outside the box when doing your objectives. Even the slightest detail matters, I especially remember sitting for hours on a certain mission, that revolved around driving of a ramp and going as far as possible(or if it was staying in the air as long as possible, something like that). I changed the design of my vehicle all the time, and got different results for each change, I found myself sitting a lot longer with that than necessary, just trying to beat my highscore.
In other instances you had to come up with a whole new way of doing something, and the best part about it is that it never felt boring or repetitive. I completely adored that game, because it was just as much about skill as it was about thinking hard and being creative. Most of the time I didn't even think about it being a Banjo-Kazooie game, but when I did, I didn't really mind that it was different from the older ones.
Now, don't get me wrong, the older ones, and especially the first, are still fantastic games, and I'd definitely say that atleast the first one is better, but Nuts & Bolts is still a very great and well made game. Hating it just because it's not like the other ones feels shallow, and in the end, you only hinder yourself from enjoying it by ranting about how it has the wrong protagonists.

Another thing I have to point out is that the steering in the beginning of the game is supposed to be bad, by playing more you get better parts and the vehicle handled better. You should've played further than just two jiggies.

(Also, L.O.G. isn't a villain.)

Actually, this whole argument applies to pretty much every sequel that happens to be a bit different, and thus get hated for no reason. Starfox Adventures comes to mind.

I take back the LOG part then. Bare in mind, I don't have a too good memory and only just skimmed through wikipedia to remember certain things. Okay so maybe not the worst villain in gaming, but he's certainly the worst character in gaming then.

And I'm sorry, but my opinion still stands.
Crystalbear

Postby Mr. Henry » February 15th, 2012, 3:00 pm

FF13, hold on don't strangle me just yet. While 13 was an improvement from say, FFX, and it helps that characters like Sazh and Vanille are fun to watch in story, but for some reason the game felt really... blah at some point. I guess it's because of the way the plot is set up, but it never really gives you time to get invested in the characters, you understand their predicament, but you never really "feel" them, no way to relate at all(unless someone somewhere has a girlfriend frozen in a block of ice... crystal). The game looks good from the scenery to the Eidolon designs, but sadly Squenix took the dreaded FFX path and made the maps completely linear, up until Gran Pulse, but that's close to end game. Plus I think it's safe to assume that all Square/FF games will look nice to hide some underlying flaw.

And now we have XIII-2 around the corner and personally, I'm not falling into another gilded trap.
Mr. Henry

Postby RyoSoulreaper » February 15th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Mr. Henry wrote:And now we have XIII-2 around the corner and personally, I'm not falling into another gilded trap.

XIII-2 is ALREADY out.

I beat it, Shit was an improvement. Don't knock until you try it.

It takes the linear idea and puts some C4 on it and blows that shit to 9 thousand peices.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Seven Rain » February 15th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Mr. Henry wrote:And now we have XIII-2 around the corner and personally, I'm not falling into another gilded trap.

Yeeeah, I'm with Ryo. I'd rethink that if I were you. XIII-2 blows XIII away.

And then there's Type-0's upcoming localization to look forward to, and Versus XIII whenever that gets released. Both of those are more Final Fantasy than any game that's come after IX. Versus will even have airships again, and a Dragoon in the latest trailer. The whole idea behind it is mixing old nostalgic FF-ness with new stuff.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » February 15th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Did I mention Sonic 4 Episode 1?

Having gone back and played Sonic 3 after 6 years and then Sonic 4 Episode 1 a year later right next to each other, I'd say I feel somewhat trolled and ripped off by the likes of Sega and DIMPS after playing them right next to each other.

Sonic 4 Ep.1 doesn't deserve to call itself I sequel to the likes of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it's as big as failed attempt as Sonic Advance 1- it's an indecisive mess that fails to capture what made the Genesis games so successful, though at least well designed.

It's as if they couldn't make up their minds about the visual style-- is it going along with the pre-Adventure style or the modern one? Generations heavily implies that Sonic actually looked potbellied before Adventure took place, and the developers themselves have stated that Sonic 4 takes place after Sonic CD but before Sonic Adventure, so his appearance makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The look of the game in general comes across as clean but sterile and somewhat unnatural.

Then there's the pitiful excuse we call the music. It sounds uninteresting, as the songs are too simplistic, repetitive, and one of the (overused) samples sound like a dying cat, which is very annoying. Going back and playing the Genesis games, the songs were actually pretty complex and had a ton of variety in terms of "instruments" within the songs and between them, too.

The game play was fine; in fact I quite enjoyed it because of the variety of mechanics between the stages (mine cart and cards are my favorites), and the levels themselves are well designed. I didn't mind the homing attack, either. The special stages were excellent, too. The problem is that there's a lack what defined the original Sonic games in the early 90's; the momentum and the physics; which are practically nonexistent in Episode one, meaning it takes too long for Sonic to get moving, and that you can stand in place on a ceiling.

I heard that the next game will at least have a fixed physics engine and new enemies bosses and level themes, but the music and overall art direction better be figured out before I fall for Episode 2.
redandblack64

Postby Crystalbear » February 15th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Seven Rain wrote:

And then there's Type-0's upcoming localization to look forward to, and Versus XIII whenever that gets released. Both of those are more Final Fantasy than any game that's come after IX. Versus will even have airships again, and a Dragoon in the latest trailer. The whole idea behind it is mixing old nostalgic FF-ness with new stuff.

Funny because according to some reviews and word of others, XIII-2 is the worse one.

Spoiler! :
And people are raging that it has a To Be Continued ending.
Crystalbear

Postby RyoSoulreaper » February 15th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Crystalbear wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

Funny because according to some reviews

And then I stopped.

Reviews do not do justice to Games. Ever. They are objective. Play it and judge for yourself.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Seven Rain » February 15th, 2012, 9:20 pm

I think you mean subjective, but yeah. A reviewer is just another gamer like you and me, I don't take them even remotely seriously anymore. I might smile a bit if I see a reviewer gushing over a game I like but I don't take their words to heart.
Seven Rain

Postby RyoSoulreaper » February 15th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I think you mean subjective, but yeah. A reviewer is just another gamer like you and me, I don't take them even remotely seriously anymore. I might smile a bit if I see a reviewer gushing over a game I like but I don't take their words to heart.

Yes. I did mean subjective. Thanks.
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Crystalbear » February 15th, 2012, 9:55 pm

RyoSoulreaper wrote:And then I stopped.

Reviews do not do justice to Games. Ever. They are objective. Play it and judge for yourself.

Hey I was just saying. According to their opinion and nearly the entire fanbase's opinion, they find FFVIII and 2 to be disappointing.

And I cannot "play it and judge for myself" because I don't have a PS3 and can't be bothered to get one.
Crystalbear

Postby RyoSoulreaper » February 15th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Crystalbear wrote:

Hey I was just saying. According to their opinion and nearly the entire fanbase's opinion, they find FFVIII and 2 to be disappointing.

Well the Fanbase also thinks VII was the greatest creation since the series started.

Also I wasn't asking you to get a PS3. I was just saying basing your judgment of games from other people/reviews is not how one should be judging games.

Just cuz some assholes who are "professionals" didn't like the game doesn't mean it sucked.
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Crystalbear » February 15th, 2012, 11:13 pm

I'm not sharing my opinion with those guys. Again, I was just quoting them.

Me, I have NO opinion on XIII or 2.
Crystalbear

Postby Afrohawkman » February 15th, 2012, 11:37 pm

RyoSoulreaper wrote:
Crystalbear wrote:

Well the Fanbase also thinks VII was the greatest creation since the series started.

Also I wasn't asking you to get a PS3. I was just saying basing your judgment of games from other people/reviews is not how one should be judging games.

Just cuz some assholes who are "professionals" didn't like the game doesn't mean it sucked.

Woah woah hey hey...

I can get debunking the fact that reviews aren't a true test of how good at a game is but they're not "assholes". They're just doing their job: analyzing the game based on its core components and telling its fanbase based on what they analyzed whether or not it's a good game or not. Frankly, I think they do a better job than a lot of people give them credit for. Sure, they possess their own bias, they may not agree with each other sometimes and sometimes I don't agree with them altogether but a lot of times I feel like they're spot on. Discrediting all the work these guys put into making an honest representation of a game is just mean.

Judgement of a game based on a review and a game you've never even tried before is bad since everyone has their own tastes. But they still have some merit to their words (unless it's Destructoid). They take their jobs somewhat seriously after all. Recommending good games and condemning bad ones is just what they do.
Afrohawkman

Postby RyoSoulreaper » February 15th, 2012, 11:42 pm

I should start chosing my words better.

All I ment was just because professionals condem a game dosen't mean the induvidual will detest it. Reviewers do their job and I give them merit for it because there are ones that exsist that aren't completely bais.

So, Not calling every person who reviews games an ass just the asses and I should probably leave this particular conversation to die now before we stray more off-topic and I put my other foot in my mouth.
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Crystalbear » February 15th, 2012, 11:57 pm

All I was really just saying is that the nearly the entire fanbase finds the game disappointed. I've seen A LOT of comments of the sort. And apparently the people who do like the two, aren't even that crazy over them.

But moving on...

Uh... Donkey Kong Barrel Blast was also disappointing. I really dislike the controls too, no thanks. Come to think of it, my copy is a used a copy, and all copies of DKBB at Gamestop/EB Games I've seen were used. I guess many agree or something.
Crystalbear

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games