Most disappointing games ever

Re: Most disappointing games ever

Postby Nymine » July 28th, 2011, 4:49 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Nymine wrote:Yeahhh XIV was a horrible let down. But I've come to the realization that Square is a nefarious unfeeling obsidian machine that functions off of the souls of the innocent lashed together by the innards of the abandoned and powered by the tears of the languishing. In all seriousness though, how can a company that was saved by from bankruptcy by their devoted fan base treat lifeforms in general like utter crap? I'm not even being spoiled or saying 'Remake the same game a million times'. I'm just sayin'. I will restrain myself from the full on rant, I promise.

I don't see how releasing a shitty MMORPG and promising not to charge for it until it stops sucking means they hate their fans... If anything I think SE is still one of the more fanservice-y companies out there, and Dissidia is a shining example. Hell, they brought back Gilgamesh in 012 just to please fans.

I suppose I do sound a bit like a raving lunatic, but I have reason for resentment. Ok, ok an explanation is deserved, and I apologize because this is a bit of a sore point. Get ready for a tl;dr. First and foremost:

Final Fantasy XIV was not always a shitty game. I was a part of the beta from the first opening after alpha and for a while there, I was smitten. In fact, during the majority of Beta, it was very very good. Only in beta patch.....it was either ver 3 or 4 did it become bad, and that was because of the implementation of the time limits. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, the time limits I speak of are a 48 hour(real time) cool down that means you can grab 10 guild leves(quests) and level. That's right, essentially 10 quests for 48 hours(I think eventually this was changed to 24; still that's crazy). This thing right here is what ruined the game and it was never addressed. Instead, Nobuaki Komoto and Hiromichi Tanaka were formally blamed for the game's failure and promptly let go, and the guy who has been working on XI for the last whenever was put in charge of two MMOs. That's the thing that sits wrong with me; the problem with the game isn't the job system(which was actually kind of fun; I basically fashioned a monk who shot fireballs), the battle system was buggy but tweakable, I'm not bothered by no auto attack(I played CoH, been used to no auto for a while). The deal breaker is the time limit, but rather than just remove that you have a team restructure? That just doesn't sound right.

As to the point of it being free, I think that they wouldn't want to have 2 failed MMOs and only 1 that flew ok. XIV is I think the 3rd MMO they've made. The second being a little unknown thing called Fantasy Earth, which finally became free to play a few years ago. That game was developed and released in Final Fantasy XI's second year release to the rest of the world. I remember seeing commercials, press releases, big giant sites on the internet. It was supposed to be an action/adventure MMO. There was a huge hooplah about it, and then, after all that press, Square says it's never leaving Japan. Now, Final Fantasy XI is still going with people who are still willing to pay, but Fantasy Earth had a rocky run and went free to play in a much shorter time span. I honestly attribute this to the fact that it was one of a long list of things that were scheduled never to be released to the rest of the world.

I feel like this is going ranty, so I'll skip my whole 'Why in the world do you make games/special editions, make translated press releases and then announce that the Western half of the world will NEVER get these things'. Especially after the success of FFVII, it's not like they didn't have funding or the necessary non-Japanese support. I already ranted a page before on how after Square acquired Enix, they completely screwed up the prequel to Valkyrie Profile. Then there's the issue of Xenogears. People loved this game. And it was pretty darn successful. But when asked if Square would make a sequel or continue the story they said no. So the team went to Namco who made the following games of Xenosaga and Square reacted after the first game's success by copyrighting key issues(like everything to do with Citan) so it could not be used even as fan service in the following games.

TL;DR I think Square is a business that likes money and knows the twitch phrases that gets them such. I dunno I guess I'm just crazy, but I don't understand a lot of their business decisions. It seems kind of contradictory to me is all and this is all coming from someone who genuinely enjoys their games(and I'm very sad that Tanaka and Komoto were fried for something I do not believe is their fault). Ok, I'm done derailing this thread. Ignore me, I'm all frothy.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby Sorrows Neptune » July 29th, 2011, 3:32 am

Gods Eater Burst, because of how darn mediocre it was. The gameplay is pretty fun at first, but it eventually gets way too repetitive, all of the characters are at least a little cliche, and the story was okay. Honestly the most fun I had out of that game was dressing up my character with different clothes.

I got halfway through the game before telling myself "Screw it, I'm selling this game and moving on to something else."

Edit: I'm also the kind of guy who usually does a fair amount of research before spending his money on a game, thus the worst games I ever come across are mediocre.
Sorrows Neptune

Postby mosama » July 29th, 2011, 5:35 pm

HEY YOU PIKACHU.

I thought i was going to recieve my very own pikachu that would obey my every command- including sexual favors. All i got was a pikachu with brain damage that could only preform a few specific tasks THAT WERE OF NO USE TO ME. HEY YOU- PIKACHU... GO FUCK YOURSELF!
mosama

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 29th, 2011, 6:07 pm

TerminalMontage wrote:
mosama wrote:HEY YOU PIKACHU.

I thought i was going to recieve my very own pikachu that would obey my every command- including sexual favors. All i got was a pikachu with brain damage that could only preform a few specific tasks THAT WERE OF NO USE TO ME. HEY YOU- PIKACHU... GO FUCK YOURSELF!

I'm sure if you used a Gameshark you can make Pikachu do all the dirty things you can think of!

Gameshark's new Pikachu game:

"Fuck You Pikachu"
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Seven Rain » July 29th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Sorrows Neptune wrote:Gods Eater Burst, because of how darn mediocre it was. The gameplay is pretty fun at first, but it eventually gets way too repetitive, all of the characters are at least a little cliche, and the story was okay. Honestly the most fun I had out of that game was dressing up my character with different clothes.

I got halfway through the game before telling myself "Screw it, I'm selling this game and moving on to something else."

Sorry to sound like a dick, but before I can even take this post seriously, I have to ask; Have you ever played/enjoyed Monster Hunter?
Seven Rain

Postby MadameEvelyn » July 29th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Maybe it was because I didn't play it, but just from watching it I was bored to tears by Metroid: Other M. I would say almost insulted at how anti-climactic and short it felt to me, but maybe this is because I left it several times out of sheer boredom.

Then again, I never actually got around to playing it. Maybe there's a reason for that? :x
MadameEvelyn

Postby FlamingDbag » July 29th, 2011, 9:07 pm

MadameEvelyn wrote:Maybe it was because I didn't play it, but just from watching it I was bored to tears by Metroid: Other M. I would say almost insulted at how anti-climactic and short it felt to me, but maybe this is because I left it several times out of sheer boredom.

Then again, I never actually got around to playing it. Maybe there's a reason for that? :x

When you play a game there's immersion.
Watching a game there's hardly any of it.
FlamingDbag

Postby Palutena » July 29th, 2011, 9:11 pm

MadameEvelyn wrote:Maybe it was because I didn't play it, but just from watching it I was bored to tears by Metroid: Other M. I would say almost insulted at how anti-climactic and short it felt to me, but maybe this is because I left it several times out of sheer boredom.

Man, I must be the only one who actually likes Metroid: Other M ffff

Let me see.. honestly, all Final Fantasy games. I just can't get into them no matter how many times play them..
Nintendork for life.
Palutena

Postby Seven Rain » July 29th, 2011, 9:20 pm

FlamingDbag wrote:

And the Metroid series is all about immersion. It should be criminal to watch a Metroid game being played. D:
Seven Rain

Postby MadameEvelyn » July 29th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
FlamingDbag wrote:

And the Metroid series is all about immersion. It should be criminal to watch a Metroid game being played. D:

Well, I dunno about immersion, I can get pretty immersed watching a game just as well as playing it. Probably just me, though.

Is it really so criminal to watch a Metroid game? Because now I feel like an idiot even bringing it up.
MadameEvelyn

Postby Seven Rain » July 29th, 2011, 9:31 pm

MadameEvelyn wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:And the Metroid series is all about immersion. It should be criminal to watch a Metroid game being played. D:

Well, I dunno about immersion, I can get pretty immersed watching a game just as well as playing it. Probably just me, though.

Is it really so criminal to watch a Metroid game? Because now I feel like an idiot even bringing it up.

Oh no, I can understand. Different people experience things differently, I was just joking around, haha. Sorry if I made you feel bad.
I just grew up playing Super Metroid, which did an amazing job of sucking you into the eerie feeling of isolation Samus must feel on a planet inhabited by nothing but foes and monsters. I mean, to me, seeing Super Metroid being played back then would've just looked like a boring shooter. (Because back when I was younger shooters in general were completely uninteresting to me other than MMX.) It was only by playing and experiencing it that I realized how great it was.

Of course things are different for everyone. If you think watching it can give you a good enough idea of the game that's fine, but hey, don't knock it 'till you try it! That's what I say. ;D
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2011, 2:19 am

TerminalMontage wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I don't see how releasing a shitty MMORPG and promising not to charge for it until it stops sucking means they hate their fans... If anything I think SE is still one of the more fanservice-y companies out there, and Dissidia is a shining example. Hell, they brought back Gilgamesh in 012 just to please fans.

Now bring Vivi back in 013. I will buy that game so fast.

TM, the first game was 013. And so far their official stance is 012 is the last one (which, given the story, might be for the best). :( They should make another one, though...especially since the ending of the first is a sequel hook. And now that I think about Vivi in Dissidia again, I am disappointed.

Postby Sorrows Neptune » July 30th, 2011, 2:23 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Sorrows Neptune wrote:Gods Eater Burst, because of how darn mediocre it was. The gameplay is pretty fun at first, but it eventually gets way too repetitive, all of the characters are at least a little cliche, and the story was okay. Honestly the most fun I had out of that game was dressing up my character with different clothes.

Sorry to sound like a dick, but before I can even take this post seriously, I have to ask; Have you ever played/enjoyed Monster Hunter?

No, I have not played any Monster Hunter games. How exactly does this effect how seriously you can take my post? I'm confused. :?
Sorrows Neptune

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2011, 2:51 am

TerminalMontage wrote:@Molly-sama
And Dissidia, story?

Ha, well, you know what I mean. XD

TerminalMontage wrote:I wish they'd make a 3rd one, with Vivi, and instead of focusing on a crappy story to utilize characters from completely different games, focus on making an extra character or two.

Yeah I'm definitely with you on that one. Thing is, they actually left a HUGE gap for there to be at least 11 more prequels, plus the whole thing with Cid and Cosmos at the end of the first one left it open for an actual sequel. And Vivi...I'm pretty sure Vivi could make anything at least 9x's more epic than it was before.

I'm still wondering how the hell everyone knows each other. I get how they got there, it's just...why isn't anyone from the most fantasy-esque ones flipping out about guns or the characters walking around in friggin' leather? And how come everyone can understand flowery speech?! That actually did disappoint me about the first one...I love it when crossovers have that big "WTF is this?!" moment, and Dissidia had none where there could've been a hilarious one....going to FF thread now. XD

Postby Sorrows Neptune » July 30th, 2011, 2:58 am

TerminalMontage wrote:@sorrows
Oh Gaaawd.

Monster Hunter is sooo much better than God Eater. God Eater is the rip off. Get Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Kinda slow at the start, but after you get settled in. You will find it to be most satisfactory. Or MH 3rd for Wii, or if you have a CFW, get Monster Hunter Portable 3rd with the english patch.

I did actually did buy Gods Eater Burst knowing it was a rip-off of Monster Hunter. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have expected much knowing that. And there was those negative reviews it was getting outside Japan. I really should have paid attention to those.
Sorrows Neptune

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games