The Final Fantasy Thread!

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby Soft Dorito » April 15th, 2016, 11:25 am

So I read an article (I can't link to it at the moment but I will try later) talking about FFXV fighting the image of toxic masculinity, and that once they took out the one female member of the group it got a little more prominent. Numerous tired jokes about FF's masculinity (or lack thereof) aside, I think that's an interesting topic for them to take on (should it actually be true). I kinda think they've been pushing against what makes something stereotypically "manly" for a while now though (such as Kuja's outfit/appearance being a weird thing to people outside the game only - spare I think one quote and I'm not sure if I remember it right anyway), unless there's something that hasn't come across culturally (Cloud is mistaken for a woman at one point, but you have to jump through hoops to do it, so eh?).

I dunno. Crossed my mind as an interesting topic, though a weird one for FF of all titles.
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby Seven Rain » April 15th, 2016, 12:11 pm

forgotten_cake wrote:That sounds like fun! Will you be posting a link here?

Forgot to reply to this, but totally! It's next on my editing to-do list so hopefully it'll be up in the next day or two.
I didn't expect to put it off for so long but Dark Souls III and other stuff happened so the footage has been sitting around gathering dust.

Soft Dorito wrote:I kinda think they've been pushing against what makes something stereotypically "manly" for a while now though

Yeah, I've felt the same way. I mean not just in FF, but in Japanese stuff in general. You see a lot less cliche masculinity in anime and games than you do in western media. Maybe people are getting a more noticeable vibe of it from FFXV because of it's realism and seeming desire to please western audiences, which contrasts harder with the more sincere male characters that aren't just trying to act tough and edgy all the time.

Either way I'm looking forward to it. I'm bummed about the lack of a female party member but at the same time I can see what they mean about how there's a different dynamic when it's a group of all dudes that just wouldn't be the same with a gal in there. After watching the first episode of Brotherhood and getting down on the first demo and all the new footage I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the all-dude party. Their interactions genuinely make me smile like an idiot.

Spoiler! :
That said I do wish there were better women characters in general at least. I mean if they're not in the party, fine, whatever, but the Dragoon chick seems to be the only cool one so far. Cindy might be cool personality/actions-wise, but her eye-candy outfit is dumb, and Luna hasn't done anything but sit around looking dainty in a dress.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » April 18th, 2016, 10:16 am

I don't like judging games before I've finished them, but FFX-2 is a rubbish game that feels like it was made by people who didn't care. It has some good ideas that are squandered, and it has some genuinely good aspects, but the game refuses to let me enjoy these good things, it always has to ruin them with something, whether it's bad UI (consistent issue all over), bizarre gameplay system choices (animation-based combat ohhh boy), headache-inducing dialogue for a mission with a fun idea, or just reminding me that it can't keep even its exclusive characters like Paine interesting and in-character. That game has quite a few things it does well, but I feel like if I were to list them, it would sound like I'm damning the game with faint praise, especially if I were to include the "buts".

I am okay with it being a bad game - I expected and paid for Disney sequel quality, I got Disney sequel quality. What I'm not okay with how often I find myself asking "how did they manage to screw this up after doing it right so many times before", and with this game apparently having very positive reviews. I haven't discussed this game with many people but they all hate it, but online, it seems like both reviewers and players think quite fondly of it.
eishiya

Postby apolloonfire » April 18th, 2016, 11:08 am

I haven't played FFX-2 since it launched way back in whenever, but I pulled that game apart and dissected every last little scrap of content it had to offer. Even young me recognized that the storyline was head-slappingly stupid. Its very existence undermined the emotional arcs of the original game, whose story I only recently realized (with the release of the HD Remasters) was far more nuanced than my childhood self gave it credit for. The whole point of X-2 is "let's resurrect the dead dude, thereby minimizing the impact of his noble sacrifice".

I think the only thing that kept me playing X-2 for as long as I did was the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed the battle system. That being said, even though I own the HD remasters, I haven't been able to bring myself to put the X-2 disc into the drive. Any enjoyment I may have felt as a child now only seems like voluntary torture.
apolloonfire

Postby eishiya » April 18th, 2016, 11:49 am

It's interesting that you say you thoroughly enjoyed the battle system! Though I like what they were going for with the dress spheres and the strategy that opens up, I think that FFX-2 has the worst example of ATB in the whole series, at least in the remaster (I don't remember whether the issues were there in the original). The poor implementation of ATB saps the fun out of the battles because I'm too busy focusing on working around the timing problems and trying not to get stun-locked on characters who aren't just spamming regular attacks. The ATB also makes playing spellcasters barely viable outside of big boss fights.
eishiya

Postby apolloonfire » April 18th, 2016, 1:12 pm

See, that's how long it's been since I actually sat down and PLAYED X-2. Reading your paragraph, it seems I still thought it used FFX's speed-based turn system, and now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe at the time, X-2 had a system I liked, but what you described just now feels absolutely miserable. This is definitely a case of memory being clouded with time.
apolloonfire

Postby Seven Rain » April 21st, 2016, 8:27 am

Took a lot longer than I thought but here's some of me playing the new FFXV demo and providing some fine low-brow entertainment with my friend Jacob;
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » April 21st, 2016, 9:52 am

Seven Rain wrote:Took a lot longer than I thought but here's some of me playing the new FFXV demo and providing some fine low-brow entertainment with my friend Jacob;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEZmM6R0CjI

I enjoyed that more than I should have :'D Thank you!
When is Squeenix going to learn that skin isn't solid-coloured though? That most things aren't. The environments look okay but Noctis looks so plastic. They've been making this mistake since FFVII, and now it's moved from FMVs to in-engine :/ I think they're so afraid of making the characters ugly that they won't even try to paint in some hue variation and little details in. FFXII did it sort of right (maybe even overdid it) with the in-engine models and that had a lot of character and didn't look as boring as this does, but even XII had plastic people for the FMVs.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » April 21st, 2016, 10:01 am

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Took a lot longer than I thought but here's some of me playing the new FFXV demo and providing some fine low-brow entertainment with my friend Jacob;

Ahaha, and thank you for enjoying it! Even after doing these for over two years I tend to feel self-conscious about how our humor translates when others are subjected to it.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » April 21st, 2016, 10:03 am

Seven Rain wrote:
eishiya wrote:

Ahaha, and thank you for enjoying it! Even after doing these for over two years I tend to feel self-conscious about how our humor translates when others are subjected to it.

I would be self-conscious too!
My one complaint is the intro video felt too long, the parade of names+sprites made me feel like I had to memorize them because of how long they were on the screen.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » April 21st, 2016, 10:05 am

eishiya wrote:My one complaint is the intro video felt too long, the parade of names+sprites made me feel like I had to memorize them because of how long they were on the screen.

Yeah, I've been iffy about that, too. It seemed like a good idea at first but now that I've taken a break and come back to making vids it seems too tryhard-y. Like we're trying to have a Grumps-like intro but doing a poor job of it, especially considering a lot of people make up our group despite most vids only being a few of us at a time.
I'll prolly ditch it for future stuff but this one was already exported by the time I started having second thoughts. Thanks for the feedback, though! It's good to have verification when I'm unsure about stuff like that, haha. The intro vid would be better off lengthened and used as a channel trailer thing anyway.
Seven Rain

Postby apolloonfire » April 21st, 2016, 11:18 am

I rather enjoyed my time with the Platinum Demo, even though there was very little traditional demo involved. It was more like a parade of the technology; we got the real demo back with "Episode Duscae" over a year ago. That being said, everything on display was pretty great. The combat has been refined very well (an absolute necessity since Duscae's was... less than decent). But despite all of the demo's attempts to court us with its graphics, all it's really done is shown just how far PC gaming technology has come, and how badly consoles are struggling to keep up. I've become so accustomed to full 60 FPS with max aliasing that anything below these days is quite jarring. It feels like the game is lagging, but that's simply because my own perception of how to perceive time and motion while gaming has been warped by high-end graphics cards. The director said he isn't opposed to a PC port "some time in the future", but with how SE handles it's ports I wouldn't be able to get my hands on it until XV is in the bargain bin at GameStop.

I'm still going to buy it. It just makes me sad that in an age where SE was only keeping afloat thanks to sales and subscriptions of their 2 MMOs on PC, that they'd completely disregard the platform in all other respects.
apolloonfire

Postby Seven Rain » April 22nd, 2016, 5:53 am

Ahahaha, as soon as I give up on getting the Ultimate Collector's Edition and instead invest in a new Hard Drive, news pops up of more CEs getting produced.
Oh well. I won't let myself get torn up about it as long as A: The Noctis PAK gets it's own release, (it seems that the figure itself isn't exclusive to the CE, just the weapon, and I'd rather have a sword than the lance anyway,) and B: The Artbook ends up online by the merciful charity of someone with a good scanner.
Spoiler! :
Now if those don't happen I'll probably be filled with more regret than I've ever felt in gaming. Fingers crossed!

*EDIT*
Oh who am I kidding, I'm gonna be torn up either way. Oh well, I knew there was a decent chance of them making more and still opted for something else. There might even be a chance I can still find a way to order it, who knows.
Seven Rain

Postby apolloonfire » April 22nd, 2016, 12:28 pm

Final Fantasy IX came out for Android/iPhone a while ago, and it FINALLY got released on Steam last week. It's my favorite installment in the series, and I've already done 3 playthroughs grinding out the achievements for 100% completion on Steam. Excalibur II runs, all the chocographs, and while there's no achievement for it I'm currently trying to acquire every Tetra Master card. Having playing this game through roughly 13 times now since it came out in 2000, (once a year, ish) I've got to say this version, while not without it's faults (terrible oversized mobile device UI) is by far the definitive version. Crisp, clear character models, the fast-forward game booster (because I'd be lying to myself if I said it wasn't the slowest game in the franchise) all work together to really refine the experience. Before, the only way to get an experience close to this was via emulation, but emulating a game like this can be problematic for a variety of reasons. If you're an FF fan that hasn't had a look at IX, this is the version to get and NOW is the time to get it!

I'm extremely excited to see if the mod community takes to this one like they did to FFVII waaaaay back on the PC release of that game, but I doubt it. IX doesn't have nearly the vocal fanbase of that game.
apolloonfire

Postby Seven Rain » April 22nd, 2016, 12:39 pm

I need to get my hands on it sometime, but I dunno if I have the patience to get another file up to the point that my current PSOne Classic file is. Reset to the orange clock and if I recall correctly the last thing I did was finish mastering the last couple abilities for everyone. Nothing left but grinding for Ozma and collecting Tetra Cards as well, which is more or less just the left half of the board. I haven't reached the number of playthroughs/completion you have by a large margin, but it's definitely the FF I've spent the most time in. At this point in my life I might like FFX and the SNES games a bit more than IX, but IX will always hold a special place in my heart.

I've thought about doing an Excalibur II run someday, but damn I don't know if I'd have something like that in me. Especially in a version where you can't skip FMVs, unless they added that to the Steam version.
Spoiler! :
I'm much more apt to go for that 12 hour KH1.5 run trophy. That one's only a matter of when, not if.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games