The Final Fantasy Thread!

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby eishiya » April 21st, 2016, 10:03 am

Seven Rain wrote:
eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Took a lot longer than I thought but here's some of me playing the new FFXV demo and providing some fine low-brow entertainment with my friend Jacob;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEZmM6R0CjI

I enjoyed that more than I should have :'D Thank you!

Ahaha, and thank you for enjoying it! Even after doing these for over two years I tend to feel self-conscious about how our humor translates when others are subjected to it.

I would be self-conscious too!
My one complaint is the intro video felt too long, the parade of names+sprites made me feel like I had to memorize them because of how long they were on the screen.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » April 21st, 2016, 10:05 am

eishiya wrote:My one complaint is the intro video felt too long, the parade of names+sprites made me feel like I had to memorize them because of how long they were on the screen.

Yeah, I've been iffy about that, too. It seemed like a good idea at first but now that I've taken a break and come back to making vids it seems too tryhard-y. Like we're trying to have a Grumps-like intro but doing a poor job of it, especially considering a lot of people make up our group despite most vids only being a few of us at a time.
I'll prolly ditch it for future stuff but this one was already exported by the time I started having second thoughts. Thanks for the feedback, though! It's good to have verification when I'm unsure about stuff like that, haha. The intro vid would be better off lengthened and used as a channel trailer thing anyway.
Seven Rain

Postby apolloonfire » April 21st, 2016, 11:18 am

I rather enjoyed my time with the Platinum Demo, even though there was very little traditional demo involved. It was more like a parade of the technology; we got the real demo back with "Episode Duscae" over a year ago. That being said, everything on display was pretty great. The combat has been refined very well (an absolute necessity since Duscae's was... less than decent). But despite all of the demo's attempts to court us with its graphics, all it's really done is shown just how far PC gaming technology has come, and how badly consoles are struggling to keep up. I've become so accustomed to full 60 FPS with max aliasing that anything below these days is quite jarring. It feels like the game is lagging, but that's simply because my own perception of how to perceive time and motion while gaming has been warped by high-end graphics cards. The director said he isn't opposed to a PC port "some time in the future", but with how SE handles it's ports I wouldn't be able to get my hands on it until XV is in the bargain bin at GameStop.

I'm still going to buy it. It just makes me sad that in an age where SE was only keeping afloat thanks to sales and subscriptions of their 2 MMOs on PC, that they'd completely disregard the platform in all other respects.
apolloonfire

Postby Seven Rain » April 22nd, 2016, 5:53 am

Ahahaha, as soon as I give up on getting the Ultimate Collector's Edition and instead invest in a new Hard Drive, news pops up of more CEs getting produced.
Oh well. I won't let myself get torn up about it as long as A: The Noctis PAK gets it's own release, (it seems that the figure itself isn't exclusive to the CE, just the weapon, and I'd rather have a sword than the lance anyway,) and B: The Artbook ends up online by the merciful charity of someone with a good scanner.
Spoiler! :
Now if those don't happen I'll probably be filled with more regret than I've ever felt in gaming. Fingers crossed!

*EDIT*
Oh who am I kidding, I'm gonna be torn up either way. Oh well, I knew there was a decent chance of them making more and still opted for something else. There might even be a chance I can still find a way to order it, who knows.
Seven Rain

Postby apolloonfire » April 22nd, 2016, 12:28 pm

Final Fantasy IX came out for Android/iPhone a while ago, and it FINALLY got released on Steam last week. It's my favorite installment in the series, and I've already done 3 playthroughs grinding out the achievements for 100% completion on Steam. Excalibur II runs, all the chocographs, and while there's no achievement for it I'm currently trying to acquire every Tetra Master card. Having playing this game through roughly 13 times now since it came out in 2000, (once a year, ish) I've got to say this version, while not without it's faults (terrible oversized mobile device UI) is by far the definitive version. Crisp, clear character models, the fast-forward game booster (because I'd be lying to myself if I said it wasn't the slowest game in the franchise) all work together to really refine the experience. Before, the only way to get an experience close to this was via emulation, but emulating a game like this can be problematic for a variety of reasons. If you're an FF fan that hasn't had a look at IX, this is the version to get and NOW is the time to get it!

I'm extremely excited to see if the mod community takes to this one like they did to FFVII waaaaay back on the PC release of that game, but I doubt it. IX doesn't have nearly the vocal fanbase of that game.
apolloonfire

Postby Seven Rain » April 22nd, 2016, 12:39 pm

I need to get my hands on it sometime, but I dunno if I have the patience to get another file up to the point that my current PSOne Classic file is. Reset to the orange clock and if I recall correctly the last thing I did was finish mastering the last couple abilities for everyone. Nothing left but grinding for Ozma and collecting Tetra Cards as well, which is more or less just the left half of the board. I haven't reached the number of playthroughs/completion you have by a large margin, but it's definitely the FF I've spent the most time in. At this point in my life I might like FFX and the SNES games a bit more than IX, but IX will always hold a special place in my heart.

I've thought about doing an Excalibur II run someday, but damn I don't know if I'd have something like that in me. Especially in a version where you can't skip FMVs, unless they added that to the Steam version.
Spoiler! :
I'm much more apt to go for that 12 hour KH1.5 run trophy. That one's only a matter of when, not if.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » June 11th, 2016, 1:16 pm

I finally finished Final Fantasy X-2 a few days ago. There wasn't a feeling of achievement, or even a sense of relief for finally finishing it. There was only regret for having played it at all. It had some good features, but overall it just felt so poorly thought out.

But! I played Last Mission and I really liked it! I saw a couple of sunrises playing that game, and I have no regrets :'D It had some annoying guide-dangit parts (the blocked gates; the whole method of getting to floor 80) and a clunky menu system (which I think is just par for course for FF), but overall I had a lot of fun and I'd like to play it again when I have time.
I even enjoyed the story, what little of it there was. It builds nicely on YRP's relationship with each other, and sort of validates/improves on what I think was originally poor writing in FFX-2, which is that YRP never really felt like they "clicked" with each other. It was also refreshing to see a video game story about friends drifting apart and this being conveyed in a positive way.
Has anyone else here played it?
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » June 11th, 2016, 2:16 pm

I've really been meaning to get back to FFX myself. I've put it off forever because I wanted to wait until I had the PS4 version since I can supposedly transfer my PS3 save to it, (at least I hope I can do so without a Vita,) but I'm ready to give up on waiting for that.
Seven Rain

Postby Soft Dorito » June 11th, 2016, 11:02 pm

I think the biggest sin I level at X-2 is that they recorded a nice song ("1000 Words") wherein you can still hear her lips move and spit in her mouth. It's the worst way to record a song and you think they'd know to have the microphone a wee bit further back. But to be fair I'd heard every other complaint before I'd ever played it and didn't care too incredibly much for X before (though I might replay it - my friend gave me her old PS2 copy so why not).

Also I bought IX on the PS3 a week ago and a different friend is watching me play it (they don't play FF). We're having fun with discussions about the characters, especially Garnet compared to Tifa/Aerith and princess tropes in general (mostly how she more or less fills them but rather than being a shallow character they took what could have been a total cliche and made her a pretty complex character. When I told her the story almost runs on that she got a little more into it lol.
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby Seven Rain » August 15th, 2016, 10:26 am

Final Fantasy XV got delayed until the end of November.

I feel a little bummed, but can't really bring myself to be angry about it. I've waited for this game for so many years, even though it's changed so much from when it was still Versus XIII, I can wait a couple more months if it means Square is putting as much effort and polish into it as they can.
Seven Rain

Postby Soft Dorito » December 9th, 2016, 2:05 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Final Fantasy XV got delayed until the end of November.

I feel a little bummed, but can't really bring myself to be angry about it. I've waited for this game for so many years, even though it's changed so much from when it was still Versus XIII, I can wait a couple more months if it means Square is putting as much effort and polish into it as they can.

So how are you liking the boy band simulator now?

Spoiler! :
I'm kidding - I've heard some really good things about it. Plus you know I enjoy dem pretty boys. :D
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby Seven Rain » December 9th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Soft Dorito wrote:So how are you liking the boy band simulator now?

It's... Really hard to say. It's bizarre. Like I can't form an actual opinion or preference, only make random remarks and observations.
  • It doesn't feel as "special" as a Final Fantasy should. Probably due to how hard it tries to emulate other modern games. After 14 games, regardless of which ones anyone likes, this is the first one I've played that I felt wasn't trying to be itself from start to finish.
  • The combat is fun, and I'm hoping it'll open up more later since I haven't unlocked the crazy weapon skills and stuff that were in Episode Duscae. Really hoping they haven't been removed/replaced altogether because they made combat more interesting.
  • The characters are pretty fun. I like the bros, though the realism gets a bit too much sometimes. (Gladio can be too much like an actual dudebro, Prompto is quite often a far too realistic annoying geeky friend, etc.)
  • Luna sucks. She was terrible in the movie and from what I've heard about the game's story she doesn't get any better. A damsel in distressed pretending to be tough. A trope that I hate even more than the shamelessly helpless princess characters, because at least they don't feel like they're trying to trick you into believing they're a strong female character.
  • That sort of ties into the next point; I miss Versus XIII. This is not Versus XIII. This is not Nomura's Final Fantasy. This is not a game in development for ten years. Stella seemed like a way cooler heroine than Luna, and everything just overall feels like a project that has been dissected and put back together in someone else's vision. Which is pretty much exactly what it is.
  • The callbacks to old Final Fantasy are awesome. The oldschool enemies, the sprites on the car, Prompto's victory theme humming, Edgar's weapons, the old FF soundtracks to listen to while driving. Yet I can't get into this whole "mixing old FF stuff with a super realistic/modern world" vibe. It doesn't feel wrong like some other parts of the game, but I'm just not feeling it. Preference thing. (It can be amusing, though. What it lacks in cool factor it makes up for in funny moments and the hilarity of FF being realistic.)
  • I've spoiled some story stuff and I'm genuinely interested in it. A lot of what I've heard sounds pretty cool, and I know there's a lot more to it than the simple synopsis...s... I've heard.
  • I'm also excited about the postgame and optional boss fights. I still have a lot to play before I can really judge whether the combat will be fun at the end of the game or if it'll stagnate. It's definitely not Kingdom Hearts-tier, though. Still a great way to handle an action-oriented FF.
  • I don't buy FF games or JRPGs in general to do fucking WRPG missions. My least favorite thing so far is the gorillion NPCs sending you out to accomplish incredibly mundane tasks like retrieving ores or plants, and hunting down dogtags. I really, really could've done without that shit and I hope there isn't any really special stuff at the end of those because I'd rather ignore them completely and stick to the main game and monster hunts, along with the more major sidequests that actually feel like sidequests, as opposed to some NPC's chores.
  • They've recently announced some updates so ridiculously huge and majorly game-changing that I'm probably gonna procrastinate even harder and wait for some of that to be implemented before I go HAM on trying to beat it.

Baaasically... I dunno. It's a cool game, I'm railing on it pretty hard because Tabata made a frankenstein monster out of Nomura's game and it tries too hard to be something it's not half the time, but it's far from a terrible game.
Seven Rain

Postby Jair Pereira » July 25th, 2017, 3:43 am

Final Fantasy IX for Android is great! Now I have the complete series on my tablet.
The challenge is that most of the time we are asking people to get us to places we have never been. The more you give, the more rewards you will get. Always remember it.
Jair Pereira

Postby TheJGamer » July 25th, 2017, 2:40 pm

I want to start playing Final Fantasy, but just don't know where to start. Modern FF isn't going to be an option since I need to buy a PS4 and shizz, and ISOs are pretty hard to work with, so it's going to take a while for me to play the PS1 FF games, which is a shame since I've never played FF7 before and now want to try it because of the hype it's generated. Of course, they have FF7 on Steam, but I'm a bit short on money right now.

Oh, and I heard that FF2 was the worst game in the franchise, so there's that.

Where should I start?
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby Seven Rain » July 25th, 2017, 3:42 pm

TheJGamer wrote:Oh, and I heard that FF2 was the worst game in the franchise, so there's that.

I wouldn't say that. It's a black sheep and has some odd mechanics but it's definitely not the worst.

TheJGamer wrote:Where should I start?

That's always a tough one, but since you're limited to pre-PSX that makes it a bit easier.
I'm gonna recommend the GBA remakes of the NES and SNES games. (I'll forgo the roman numerals here to make this simpler,) 4 and 5 are great places to start, plus the GBA remakes have newer translations plus some added content. They do a good job of capturing the overall vibe of the series, and they're easy to get running because GBA emulation is practically flawless.
Spoiler! :
Getting patches that improve the visuals and sound to better match the SNES versions is a bit tricky if you're not emu/rom savvy but I recommend it if you can.

You might want to start with 4, because 5 has a robust Job system that I personally think is more enjoyable if you play some of the other games first, as jobs (like Black Mage/White Mage/Knight/Ninja/Dragoon/etc.) are recurring elements throughout the series, even when they're not customizable like in 5. (That and if you start with one of the best job systems in the series it might be hard for you to move on to games without it.)

After trying those out I'd say move on to FF6, which is widely considered one of the best in the series, or maybe go backwards to FF1, (also on GBA if you'd rather not play the NES version.)

*EDIT*
There's also Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for SNES, which I haven't played myself, (though I've always wanted to,) but I think the whole point of that game was to be an introduction to FF and JRPGs for newer players, so that might be a good starting point for you. I just don't know how many elements it shares with the mainline series. Part of the appeal of FF is the consistency of it's concepts and shared elements.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games