Video Game Soundtracks

Video Game Soundtracks

Postby TerminalMontage » July 31st, 2011, 1:36 am

Soundtracks (video games/movies/shows) are my favorite genre of music (..or is it really a genre? Soundtracks can be orchestrated, rock, techno, etc.. But that's besides the point). The music behind most video games helps set the mood, and the overall feel. Making parts more intense, emotional, silly, and memorable. What video game songs are your favorite? And why!

I really love David Wise's work in Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, but mostly 2. Mining Melancholy, Stickerbrush Symphony, Aquatic Ambiance, Lockjaw's Saga, Forest Interlude, Flight of the Zinger, and pretty much everything in the first 2 DKC games. I think they're so unique and original, and they're all different, yet fit so well with DKC2. Great memories. My friend Jeff shares my love for DKC2's music as well, when he was younger and had DK Land 2 for gameboy, on long trips he would just go to the Bramble Ramble level, pause it and just listen to the music. I've done stuff like that a few times myself.

I also love other OSTs as well, such as the Nobuo Uematsu's work with the Final Fantasy series (and Kumi Tanioka's work with Crystal Chronicles), Zelda OoT/Majora's Mask, Paper Mario (N64), Mario RPG, MGS, Kirby, Mega Man/Mega Man X (oh soo many good songs), Shadow of the Colossus, Monster Hunter, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts, and others I can't think of right now.
TerminalMontage

Re: Video Game Soundtracks

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 31st, 2011, 1:55 am

Serenade of Water will forever be my favorite track ever.

I also enjoy Chinese Sword from Disgaea 3, the No More Heroes theme, and Beam Katana Chronicles from No More Heroes.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Vitotamito » July 31st, 2011, 1:59 am

Bioshock's soundtrack was absolutely incredible. One might call it a Masterpiece.

Mass Effect... It's amazing.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby reverendjack » July 31st, 2011, 2:56 am

Early Castlevania games (1 through 4) had amaaaazing soundtracks - my favorite of which being the Castlevania 3 BGMs.

Other than that, Legendary Axe II for the TurboGrafX 16 had music that i still hum to this day - along with the stage music from Air Zonk for the same system.

Saying I love the music from Final Fantasy 6 and Secret of Mana (2 and 3) would be like saying I love pizza. Who doesn't?
A Faustian tale, or the story of a crazy woman.

uglyfun wrote:everything is always better with lesbians
reverendjack

Postby Froken Keke » July 31st, 2011, 3:17 am

Spencer Nilsen is my favorite, or pretty much the only one who made more than two tracks I can enjoy outside of the game.
His ambient and moody compositions for the CD-versions of the Ecco games are my favorite of his, I can turn this on and instantly get in that sort of ocean wonder mood.
Favorite track.
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
Froken Keke

Postby Jops » July 31st, 2011, 6:04 am

I'm gonna try and make my list short:

I love the OST for Uncharted 2, which is made by the same guy who did the music for Firefly (and you can totally notice the similarirty). Tho my favourite is the end credits theme: Road to Shambala which is, however, by Carmen Rizzo, different composer (i particularly love it at about 2:47s)

I second Vitoamito on the Mass Effect main theme, it's awesome.

Age of Conan, while the MMO itself didn't manage keep me interested for more than 14-days trial, i gotta say it has truly beautiful music. One song in partiular: Nighttime Journey throught Eiglophian Mountains

Alone in the Dark: I dun remeber if it was in the demo or if i noticed it in some E3 videos, but i love the music in the taxi-ride part: Who am I?

The very first Command & Conquer's GDI end credits theme: Airstrike (which is surprisingly very soothing).
But the cake for the best of relaxing game music goes to EVE's Red Glowing Dust.

Can't not mention the MGS series: it has a lot of awesome tracks. ...and sometimes I can't help but find myself hum the main theme for no particular reason (tho, i must admit i also find myself humming the Tetris theme for no particular reason).
HotD Overkill's carnival level music has a strong tendency of gettign stuck in my head (and subsequent hummign of the tune). Be careful tho; it's titled "One Night in Bayou" and the version with lyrics may summon some very gross mental images.

Wipeout has some great industrial beats. Not exactly my kind of music, but i still like its OST a lot.

Honorable mention to Mirror's Edge for both the chilling and fast music.

And i guess I will stop here.
Jops

Jops

Postby Mr Aids » July 31st, 2011, 6:51 am

Vitotamito wrote:Bioshock's soundtrack was absolutely incredible. One might call it a Masterpiece.

God I want to play it again now haha.

Generally any game by Square Enix has a good soundtrack. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Parasite Eve 2 had good soundtracks.

I also like the Silent Hill soundtracks, I really like that sort of ambient music. It's really good in setting that creepy atmosphere, like Bioshock did.

Also I like any video games which incorporate old music (30's 40's and 50's) into their soundtrack, like Fallout and Bioshock. I really enjoy those classics.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Jops » July 31st, 2011, 7:19 am

Mr Aids wrote:Also I like any video games which incorporate old music (30's 40's and 50's) into their soundtrack, like Fallout and Bioshock. I really enjoy those classics.

I would have mentioned Fallout too, with Billy Munn, Roy Brown, Louis Armstrong, but I thought the point was to limit to music made specifically for the game, not album songs imported in it.
Otherwise, just think of games like any GTA (if i try now to dig out any cool song in those games, tomorrow i'll be still at it) or the Need For Speed series (most are crap, but Hot Pursuit had MIA, Black Rebel Motorcycle Gang and Pendulum in it... Deadmau5 and Clutch were in some previous games of the series).
Jops

Jops

Postby KonaTobennh » July 31st, 2011, 10:24 am

For some reason, the Mega Man Battle Network spinoffs have the best soundtrack of the BN series.
KonaTobennh

Postby Seven Rain » July 31st, 2011, 11:38 am

Gah, I'm gonna be here all day. ;___;
I seriously can't go through everything. There are just too many Game OST's I adore.

Nobuo Uematsu and Yoko Shimomura are god tier. As is Koji Kondo.
I can't link to enough of their stuff to do them justice at all through their numerous games, but they've covered FF, KH, and Mario/Zelda, respectively. Gods of the VG music industry they be.

I've also really enjoyed the songs Hikaru Utada has done for the KH games. Simple and Clean and Passion. Simple and Clean is more nostalgic, but I think I actually enjoy Passion more. Unfortunately I can't even find a damn link to it because the original KHII intro and the song itself seem non-existent on YT. Just fucking AMVs and remixes. :/

Junya Nakano is a personal favorite of mine for the Threads of Fate soundtrack alone.
Pure and utter brilliance.

Oh, and the MMX and MMZ games have been full of amazing music.

That's just naming some of it, though. I don't want to be here all day so I'll just come back and throw in some other stuff every now and then.

RyoSoulreaper wrote:I also enjoy Chinese Sword from Disgaea 3, the No More Heroes theme, and Beam Katana Chronicles from No More Heroes.

I second all of these. So hard.
Seven Rain

Postby TerminalMontage » July 31st, 2011, 1:13 pm

Seven Rain wrote: Yoko Shimomura .

Yessss. I like how the girl who did the music for Mario RPG did the music for Kingdom Hearts :]

Jops wrote:Age of Conan, while the MMO itself didn't manage keep me interested for more than 14-days trial, i gotta say it has truly beautiful music. One song in partiular: Nighttime Journey throught Eiglophian Mountains

And, I like this song :O
TerminalMontage

Postby Seven Rain » July 31st, 2011, 1:40 pm

TerminalMontage wrote:

Yessss. I like how the girl who did the music for Mario RPG did the music for Kingdom Hearts :]

Indeed. I've always wanted to hear her do more stuff like SMRPG. I love her KH OSTs, but if she ever made an intentionally oldschool OST for something I'd lose it. SMRPG had one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » July 31st, 2011, 1:58 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
TerminalMontage wrote:

Indeed. I've always wanted to hear her do more stuff like SMRPG. I love her KH OSTs, but if she ever made an intentionally oldschool OST for something I'd lose it. SMRPG had one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

You know, she's responsible for the Radiant Historia soundtrack. I'm getting that game as my last DS game, and it'll be the first time I've ever heard her music. What kind of musical style does she have, anyway? I've probably heard some of her music in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories on GBA, but I rage quit on the Hades fight. I can't remeber the music too well.

Besides that, I love the New Age/multicultaral/ethinic sound of Chrono Cross, and, to a lesser extent, some of the Brawl soundtrack (I liked the Latin take on that Zelda forest theme, or the reggae take of the main theme of Mario). Those sound cooler than the typical 'video game' sound of the music. It would be nice to see more music that isn't movie orchestra like, or techno/video game derived, or mainstream music. Though I do like the Sonic Rush, Jet Set Radio, and SSX 3 soundtracks, too. Eh, more and more of my favorite soundtracks are coming from non gaming artists who happen to have their music in game, like Scapegoat Wax.
redandblack64

Postby Seven Rain » July 31st, 2011, 2:00 pm

redandblack64 wrote:What kind of musical style does she have, anyway?

It's... Err... Well it's not really something that can be described. Just go listen to some of the KH soundtrack on YT I guess, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby TerminalMontage » July 31st, 2011, 2:05 pm

Oh yeah Chrono Cross! I loved that soundtrack. Overworld theme was so goooood.
TerminalMontage

Next

Return to Video Games