Video games that need a film adaption

Re: Video games that need a film adaption

Postby RyoSoulreaper » October 17th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Froken Keke wrote:Can't we please just keep the two mediums apart? Games work best as games.

*looks at Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Abyss anime*
*looks at first MK movie*
Not always the case.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby grimvalesti » October 17th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Did anyone say Tetris yet?
grimvalesti

Postby EskimoOfTheNight » October 18th, 2011, 1:59 am

Here's the problem: story. If the movie varies from the plot of the game too much, everyone will hate it. On the other hand, I don't really want a movie to look like one huge cut-scene from a game either (unless it's Zelda).

Games I want movie-ified:

Wind Waker

Portal

Cave Story

Suikoden: Tierkeris

Majora's Mask

MegaMan- listen to The Protomen, that's what I want. There's already a megaman 1 live action out there. Not official, but still quite good.

MMZero

Zelda 2: the adventure of Link- there's actually some great stuff to utilize.

Other stuff too.
Better than your standard ninja.

-Eskimo of the Night-
EskimoOfTheNight

Postby Ultima527 » October 18th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Froken Keke wrote:Can't we please just keep the two mediums apart? Games work best as games.

I think Hollywood could learn a thing or two from video games, whether they adapt them directly or not.
And you know, when someone makes a movie of something, it doesn't cause what they based it on to cease to exists. It doesn't really HURT anyone...well, that can be debated...but anyway, you can't RUIN something unless you take each and every copy and mess around with it.
Ultima527

Postby Seven Rain » October 18th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Ultima527 wrote:but anyway, you can't RUIN something unless you take each and every copy and mess around with it.

That doesn't mean it can't expose people to a great series in the worst possible way. Do you really want someone to be introduced to DBZ via Dragon Ball Evolution? Or Spirits Within to be someone's first exposure to Final Fantasy?
Seven Rain

Postby Cannetella » October 18th, 2011, 5:50 pm

An Amnesia movie might be nifty.
Maybe even Fatal Frame.
Cannetella

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Minecraft

Postby lonk » October 19th, 2011, 5:08 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Ultima527 wrote:but anyway, you can't RUIN something unless you take each and every copy and mess around with it.

That doesn't mean it can't expose people to a great series in the worst possible way. Do you really want someone to be introduced to DBZ via Dragon Ball Evolution? Or Spirits Within to be someone's first exposure to Final Fantasy?

Or even worse, a game based on a movie based on a game.

*shudder*
bricks wrote:my mother mentioned to my uncle that i would like horror manga for my bday....so he gives me horror manga.. aka horrible manga aka 2 vols of hetalia

Seven Rain wrote:Here, how about some more animals being d-Umm... Jerks.
lonk

Postby FlamingDbag » October 19th, 2011, 6:09 am

lonk wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

*shudder*

Man, they should make a movie on that.
FlamingDbag

Postby Seven Rain » October 19th, 2011, 9:07 am

lonk wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

Spoiler! :

*shudder*

Shudder indeed.

FlamingDbag wrote:Man, they should make a movie on that.

STREET FIGHTER THE MOVIE THE VIDEO GAME THE MOVIE.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » October 19th, 2011, 11:55 am

lonk wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

*shudder*

The funny thing is that Capcom themselves made that game. That game could be making a point or some kind of sick joke about the movie. It would make sense for them to make the game suck on purpose.
redandblack64

Postby lonk » October 19th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Seven Rain wrote:

STARRING NICOLAS CAGE AS JEAN-CLAUDE VANDAMME AS GUILE

redandblack64 wrote:The funny thing is that Capcom themselves made that game. That game could be making a point or some kind of sick joke about the movie. It would make sense for them to make the game suck on purpose.

I always thought they made that abomination just to compete with MK (what with the photo sprites)... but why they'd do that I don't know it makes no sense.
bricks wrote:my mother mentioned to my uncle that i would like horror manga for my bday....so he gives me horror manga.. aka horrible manga aka 2 vols of hetalia

Seven Rain wrote:Here, how about some more animals being d-Umm... Jerks.
lonk

Postby Seven Rain » October 19th, 2011, 12:27 pm

redandblack64 wrote:The funny thing is that Capcom themselves made that game.

Same deal with DB Evolution. It was developed by Dimps and was basically a re-skinned version of Shin Budokai.
As if I needed another reason to dislike Dimps.
Spoiler! :

lonk wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

STARRING NICOLAS CAGE AS JEAN-CLAUDE VANDAMME AS GUILE

I love you so much right now. Possibly too much.
Seven Rain

Postby Ultima527 » October 19th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Seven Rain wrote:

Yes. I agree completely. You can ruin the social status of something; just not the thing itself.
I never saw spirits within, but there were commercials for it before I really knew what final fantasy was. I thought, "Oh. I guess it's about fighting aliens." :o

I'm just saying that as horrible as a film adaptation can be, if you've already been exposed to the real thing, you shouldn't be too discouraged; you know something better already exists.
Ultima527

Postby Seven Rain » October 19th, 2011, 1:56 pm

The real problem is many people DO end up seeing remakes without being exposed to the real thing first.
I've never seen a DBZ movie in theaters in my life despite their being 13 of them, and yet Evolution was a big movie that ended up in theaters and given the same treatment as just about any other major film these days. How many people do you think saw that without having seen Dragon Ball or DBZ? I'm scared to even imagine it.

Hell, I've seen things like this first hand. My Mom has never played a FF in her life yet is obsessed with Advent Children after I showed it to her.
Now Advent Children is pretty good. Some VII fans complain about it but it at least remained official true to the game, yet I can't get my Mom to play FFVII to save my life. (And she is a gamer, by the way, albeit one that hardly plays anymore.)

I'm just rambling at this point, but yeah. Film remakes might not destroy what they're based on, but they still do much more harm than good.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games