Chiptune?

Chiptune?

Postby Aforextreme » March 27th, 2012, 1:02 pm

What's your opinion on chiptunes? (Music created by hacking various game systems or made to sound like it's produced using one.) Personally, I love 'em... they provide a sense of nostalgia while still being really fun and catchy. Anamanaguchi are easily my favorite, as they layer the chiptunes over hyperactive live rock, creating a pretty unique and peppy sound (they did the music for the Scott Pilgrim game, for those not in the know.) I also like George & Jonathan, SAVESTATES, and Unicorn Kid.

What about you guys?
Aforextreme

Re: Chiptune?

Postby Seven Rain » March 27th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Aforextreme wrote:Anamanaguchi

Haha, I was just coming in this thread to mention Anamanaguchi and you beat me to it already.

I don't know of a ton of chiptune bands, but I do know of one that incorporates it into Metal; HORSE the Band. They're just awesome.
Seven Rain

Postby Aforextreme » March 27th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Aaaah my friend got me into HORSE. Love those guys! You ever seen Earth Tour?
Aforextreme

Postby Hawthorn Heights » March 27th, 2012, 4:16 pm

If you like chiptune try out the band I fight dragons, they mix chiptune with there rock and its brilliant. Same goes for Shael riley and the double ice backfire. Although I prefer IFD XD!!!
Hawthorn Heights

Postby Aforextreme » March 27th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Hawthorn Heights wrote:If you like chiptune try out the band I fight dragons, they mix chiptune with there rock and its brilliant. Same goes for Shael riley and the double ice backfire. Although I prefer IFD XD!!!

I love I Fight Dragons but I haven't heard of the other two, I'll be sure to check 'em out!
Aforextreme

Postby Seven Rain » March 27th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Aforextreme wrote:You ever seen Earth Tour?

I have not, I don't actually go to live shows very often, assuming that's what you were talking about.
Seven Rain

Postby Aforextreme » March 27th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Aforextreme wrote:You ever seen Earth Tour?

I have not, I don't actually go to live shows very often, assuming that's what you were talking about.

Earth Tour is this 10-hour movie they edited together of a massive tour they did, around the world, out of their own pocket. It's insane, and free... somewhere, I forget if it's on their site or not. The Japan section of the tour is hilarious. :lol:
Aforextreme

Postby Seven Rain » March 27th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Sounds awesome, I'll check it out sometime.
Seven Rain

Postby Durvin » March 30th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Maybe I'm just weird, but since I was a kid, I've liked computer/VG music better than regular music--you know, chiptune, nothing post-1995 or so, when they started using orchestras...the theme from "Metropolis Zone" from Sonic 2 is one of my favorite tracks ever. Loving that stuff eventually lead into Kraftwerk, then to electro. Everybody keeps mentioning bands that mix chiptune with guitar rock in one form or another, but I say skip the guitars completely--never have liked 'em much. Chiptune formed the basis of my musical tastes. Recently I found a whole YouTube channel of Commodore 64 songs, including some that weren't part of games--it looks complicated as hell, but you could make music directly on there. There's a whole scene on YouTube of 8-bit covers of famous songs, too, although for some reason, it's mostly TV theme songs and Michael Jackson.

So in answer to your thread title: Chiptune? Yes.
Durvin

Return to Music