Favorite Intro/Outro to an Album??

Favorite Intro/Outro to an Album??

Postby Amante » May 2nd, 2012, 7:10 pm

Did you ever hear that great first song in an album that just rocked your socks off and got you pumped for more? Or have you ever listened to that amazing ending song that just sums up the whole album and leaves you feeling like you just had a great meal? List them here.

My personal favorites.

INTRO: Feed the Machine by RED. Just get me super pumped to hear the rest of the album.
OUTRO: The Follow Through by Blue October
OUTRO: The Unknown by Crossfade
OUTRO: Happy Endings Are Just Stories That Haven't Ended Yet by Mayday Parade

and of course my ever favorite that I unfortunately cannot find videos for are from Mae's "The Everglow" where they have a starting track titled "Prologue" and an ending track called "Epilogue" where they have a person introducing you and bidding you farewell from the album, I found that neat.

How about you guys?
Any SJ related questions? Feel free to look around, and if you can't find an answer, make a topic here and we'll get to you as fast as we can! :D

BlackBlade Rising revamp COMING SOON!
Amante

Re: Favorite Intro/Outro to an Album??

Postby Mr Aids » May 3rd, 2012, 6:35 am

I'm gonna listen to albums with both good intros and outros because I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

I've been listening to Enter Shikari, and Take To The Skies has both a good intro and outro, but I think that's because you're supposed to listen to the tracks in order.

Doolittle by the Pixies had a good intro, it's sort of upbeat and gets you in the mood for more Pixies. And then the outro sort of let you down from that high.

And pretty much any album by Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Thee Silver Mt. Zion has a good intro/outro.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Froken Keke » May 3rd, 2012, 3:14 pm

I thought about this for a moment, and realized generally the intro or outro tracks on an album tend to be among the best stuff on them. If I were to list there would just be too many.
More interesting would be albums were both the intro AND outro deliver, which is a bit less usual.

From the top of my head, I'd say;
Radiohead - Kid A
Everything in Its Right Place

Motion Picture Soundtrack

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Deadwing

Glass Arm Shattering

Kent - Isola
Livräddaren

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
It's No Game (Part 1)

It's No Game (Part 2)

And then there's Meddle and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, which I almost feel is cheating, they're too good.
I mean seriously, One of These Days to fucking Echoes? Both parts of Shine on you Crazy Diamond?
You can't beat that.
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
Froken Keke

Postby gutache » May 3rd, 2012, 8:11 pm

Don't even get me started on this. Clues' self-titled album (and only album, sadface) was amazing in terms of intro/outro songs.

OK so time for the introduction. Haarp. This just blows my mind. How it starts, then it pulls back and gets all fuzzy, then comes in again with the soft but just like, AMAZING lyrics, then going fuzzy again, then the guitar picking that just kills you, AND THEN it devastates you, and then IT GETS ALL LIKE, RAZOR BLADE-Y. UGH I CAN'T DESCRIBE IT. The feelings this song gives me, they are unlike any other.

Oh god so this whole album just takes you on a thrillride of emotions. And after the rollercoaster of killer lyrics and awesome, just awesome guitar parts (not too shreddy, but TOTALLY BOSS)...

Alright, back to the main topic. Now for the outro. Sooo after this crazy journey Alden Penner has led us through, it's time to unwind, but with this genius, thought-provoking, miserable but hopeful tune.

Sorry, I just loved this question.
gutache

Postby Vitotamito » May 15th, 2012, 3:07 am

Froken Keke wrote:Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Deadwing

Glass Arm Shattering

O_O There's someone else here who loves Porcupine Tree!?!?! YOU ARE 100% AWESOME IN MY EYES.

Personally, there is one album of mine that opens and ends on such a note that makes it so you can go through the album again. This is because it uses the same theme. Paradise Lost by Symphony X

The ending of the second song is... the ending of the opening of the first song. And it both sums up the album and makes it something to go through all over again in one fell swoop.

Next up:

Thirteenth Step by A Perfect Circle. This one is phenomenal. The album itself is a sort of concept album about drug addiction and getting over it. And the beginning track goes about the idea of getting the drugs from the dealer and how far his life has slipped downhill.

The album ends with Gravity. It's dealing with the idea that this person has gone through everything, and is now on his way out and feeling as though he might just slip back down into the hole he was in and wondering if there's anyone who's going to be able to keep him straight.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby lovemuffin » May 15th, 2012, 3:58 am

"Deus Le Volt!" - Angra on Temple of Shadows. Goes into "Spread Your Fire"

Such an awesome album.
lovemuffin

Return to Music