Music - distraction or aid while doing art?

Re: Music - distraction or aid while doing art?

Postby Sike » January 22nd, 2015, 7:37 pm

Whenever I draw I have to listen to music, never classical music though. It helps me concentrate and keep focused. When I'm on youtube looking through music though, I'm usually distracted for like an hour before I actually start drawing...
Sike

Postby devil-wears-converse » January 22nd, 2015, 8:34 pm

This is where Spotify Playlists come in handy. Depending on your genre of choice, just look up a playlist and go. People set them up for like 500+ songs. My favorite (I think I mentioned before) is post rock. It's really hard to draw when belching out Gwar lyrics, but with post rock you get those smoothe melodies that can be used as a distraction from the lack of sound, at the same time you're not too ditracted from listening and disection out any words.
devil-wears-converse

Postby Sonic-ock » January 24th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Music definitely Mr. Aids me while I'm working. in fact it's easier for me to work with music than without, not classical though...
Last edited by Sonic-ock on January 24th, 2015, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby benjibear » January 24th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:I think I'm in the camp of "not smart enough" people who find music distracting - I don't mind it when inking or colouring but sketching with music is really hard, I don't like it. But my problem is that often my own random thoughts are also distracting, upsetting and hard to ignore. Music doesn't help with them either but radio shows and podcasts, basically any human speech without a repetitive rhythm seem to do the job so far.

I feel you on this 100%. Podcasts and classical music are the only things I can listen to if I'm penciling or inking. But sketching and writing I need to be in a quiet room.

Actually the volume of things also affects my productivity. I could listen to doo-wop all day if the volume is mid to low. I have no idea how people just blast classical music while they're drawing.
benjibear

Postby H.A.R.I. » August 13th, 2016, 8:13 pm

I always draw with music, but it changes based on what I'm doing. If I'm having to focus really hard, usually something like Crystal Castles or Anamanaguchi is good. But if I'm inking or coloring and it's all mechanical, I can listen to anything, even Youtube or Netflix. I get really distracted if I can hear people moving around or talking so music really helps me focus. . v .)
H.A.R.I.

Postby ebonykun » March 26th, 2019, 7:39 am

It's a distraction for me. I work best in silence. Some tunes are nice, but they almost always slow me down.
ebonykun

Postby jellyfishin » March 26th, 2019, 4:59 pm

I usually have music on when I draw, but I find that music can serve as a distraction for me if the music doesn't match up the subject matter of what I'm drawing. I make it a point to try to find a playlist (or make my own playlist) that matches up with the subject matter at hand before I start drawing.
jellyfishin

Previous

Return to Music