Does music influence your comic?

Re: Does music influence your comic?

Postby AndToBeLoved » May 5th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Yes! My webcomic is actually directly inspired by Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes/Desaparecidos/The Mystic Valley Band/Monsters of Folk. It started out as sort of a sarcastic homage, but has now developed into something more than that.
AndToBeLoved

Postby Vondye » May 31st, 2012, 11:11 pm

I don't like music on during the scripting or thumbnail process, but I can't really find my zone with drawing the final layouts of a comic until I have music playing, and I usually have a particular song or playlist in mind for each scene or page. Once I've got what I feel are the right tunes, I can kind of shut off the world around me and just work to the point of obsession, because things feel more realized. Without music I tend to get restless or uncomfortable much quicker, especially when working digitally. My main comic character was actually influenced in his most modern form by the music/persona of Tom Waits, so I wouldn't have much of a comic without music to begin with.
Vondye

Postby Zamboozle » June 24th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Music does sort of influence my character's development at least, so yes. Yes it does.
Zamboozle

Postby landsky » June 28th, 2012, 8:09 pm

I tend to have themes for my characters, as well as for inspiration on events during scenes/battles.
landsky

Postby Disturbed Goth » July 16th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Oh yes! Very much so! Music influences a lot of my writing and art! Music saves my soul!
Disturbed Goth

Postby pinkylillix » July 19th, 2012, 9:59 am

Indeed. :) Like the first post said, it influences scenes more than the entire story, but I'll imagine scenarios when listening to music, so it helps get the creative juices flowin'!
pinkylillix

Postby BuddyParaiso » August 16th, 2012, 3:57 am

Yep, specially in the case of "Halihana"...since the setting and the main hero - girl and other characters were Filipinos, and native looking at that, I prefer to listed to "Iduyan Mo" by Basil Valdez, a Filipino balladeer of the 1980's "Iduyan Mo" was the main title song used in the Fernando Poe movie "Aguilla". But if you study the lyrics and listen to the song, it invokes the words of a dying warrior who would very much like to lie down on the bosom of his Native Motherland. A more "extreme" version of this song, complete with tribal chants and war cries was sung by Grace Nono...A known Filipino Woman Native singer and her voice is like that of a militant activist. I use this song everytime I draw my very own graphic novel "Ranao". :D
BuddyParaiso

Postby Mr. Henry » August 16th, 2012, 8:59 am

It does ever slightly nowadays. I can't say that the comic has it's own soundtrack, but, now when I come up with scenes(currently laying out Ch.2) I play loop a specific song that works with it.
Mr. Henry

Postby CPD » August 16th, 2012, 9:48 am

I wouldn't say it influences me, but it certainly helps get my groove on. If I'm having a crap drawing day, music has a way of making the drawing process easier sometimes, if that makes sense to anyone.
CPD

Postby MannyKat8x » April 2nd, 2013, 9:03 pm

HELL YES IT DOES, if some of the chapter titles in the first act are anything to go by

Freak on a Leash actually inspired the series to become what it is now, changing Max and Dave from two random cats to anthro cats, making one of them a ghost was a random decision, like "Why the hell not, always wanted to do a series with a ghost in it" then lots of Korn songs continued to inspire me to worldbuild for what would be later known as "Guardian Ghost Beta" since it was really dark and involved gangs and is nothing like what the series ended up as. Still, if it wasn't for that, Max and Dave would probably still be cats that would end up as yet another pair of characters I didn't use for anything.

And then there's Violet Hill that somehow inspired the main baddies of the comic, ENFORCERs, while the series was still in Beta. I seriously have no idea how the hell it even happened but something about hearing the song at that particular time just made me think "I SHOULD MAKE CROCODILE-LIKE GHOST CREATURES THAT HUNT GHOSTS"

Lots of music I end up finding continues to influence my comic. I'm always on the lookout for songs I can associate with Guardian Ghost, and sometimes they change around the story a little. The playlist I have for the series is both songs that inspired the plot or are ready to go for moody stuff. Half of the playlist is angst for both Clarence and Max.
Image <-- My main webcomic
--
Image <-- And my new one
MannyKat8x

Postby IsaacCraveFries » June 16th, 2013, 11:21 pm

not really. i DO listen to music while I draw comics, but they don't influence it. Unless, I listen to anime soundtracks, that is.
IsaacCraveFries

Postby Mr. Neil » September 15th, 2013, 12:18 am

Dasien is heavily influenced by music, but mostly for ambient purposes, if that makes sense. In other words, certain music artists and songs will evoke the feelings of the characters. Dasien is primarily influenced by 80s electronica pop music, such as Kim Wylde, Nina, and Belinda Carlisle come to mind. Parker is more of a classic rock girl, so if I'm going to be writing a lot of stuff with her in it, I'll listen to old Boston or Kansas. The Crimson Gestalt is pretty much all later Black Sabbath stuff, like Headless Cross or Computer God. Melodic but dark.

Mr. Neil

Postby mikemacdee » September 16th, 2013, 4:32 am

I almost always listen to music when writing or drawing, and definitely always when inking/lettering/scanning. Any tune that reminds me of the current project gets logged in my memory as part of an "unofficial soundtrack" that I listen to whenever I want to work. This one inspires Daddy's Girl the most lately. Fantastic synth music that reminds me of 80s action movies, and has a bleak edge to it.
mikemacdee

Postby monkafunk » November 18th, 2013, 9:14 am

If writing or just planning a script in my head, I try to listen to what the characters might be listening to.

For example, "Fu" (the fat, cigar-smokin ninja) is fond of late 70s, early 80s music.

In fact, he had MTV when it first came out in 1981, and he loves this lost gem from that cocaine-driven, pastel-colored era:
monkafunk

Postby silkiechan » December 29th, 2013, 6:23 am

I actually have three youtube-playlists for the comic-projects I have, it gives a good inspiration to draw imo C:
silkiechan

PreviousNext

Return to Music