Your Backlog/To-Read List

Your Backlog/To-Read List

Postby eishiya » August 20th, 2012, 9:22 am

What's a literature forum without one of these? What are some books you have, but haven't found the time to read yet? What are some books you want to get?

My Backlog:
House of Leaves
Cell (Stephen King)
The Count of Monte-Cristo
World War Z
A few short story collections.
...the sad thing is I'm part-way through several of these, but... oops.
eishiya

Re: Your Backlog/To-Read List

Postby Hjels » August 20th, 2012, 10:38 am

I almost always read any new book I get immediately, so my backlog consists of exactly one book.

For whom the bell tolls, by Hemingway.

I've never even looked inside, or read the cover, though I have an idea of what it's about. Over the years, I've developed a kind of superstition around reading it, eventually convincing myself that my life will change in a drastic way once I have finished it. Whether this change will be good or bad I don't know, so I haven't summoned the courage yet. :)
It's pronounced "yells".
Hjels

Postby Ddraigeneth » August 20th, 2012, 11:13 am

eishiya wrote:The Count of Monte-Cristo

Read that way back when the new(ish) movie came out. Good story, it goes into a lot of depth with the side characters.

In no particular order, I've got...
-Johnny and the Dead/Johnny and the Bomb (Just read Only You Can Save Mankind for the first time last night)
-The Bromeliad Trilogy
-Two new books in the Dhampir series, which means I'm going to re-read the whole series, because it's been awhile
-A Dance With Dragons, as soon as I grab it in paperback

I...think those are the only unread novels I have at the moment. Oh, and some stuff by Caitlín Kiernan I got from my father-in-law when he moved--don't even know what those are about.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Froken Keke » August 20th, 2012, 11:23 am

I've got;
Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Marianne Letts - Radiohead and the Resistant Concept Album
and one or two comics lying around.
I'm usually really bad with reading books, I tend to just stop reading them somewhere in the middle, or whatever, just to have them lying around for months before I finish the book just to be done with it.
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
Froken Keke

Postby eishiya » August 20th, 2012, 11:26 am

I read Do Andoids Dream of Electric Sheep a few weeks ago. It's a very quick read!

I'm the same way. Of all the books I listed, World War Z is the only one I haven't already started reading.
eishiya

Postby Falconer » August 20th, 2012, 11:51 am

eishiya wrote:World War Z

I read this! I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's definitely a different sort of zombie story, and I liked the approach it took to it a lot.

As for my reading list...I have way too many I want to read. o-o;; Don't even know where to start.
Falconer

Postby Snuffan » August 20th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Song of Ice and Fire. Bamf. I'm only on the second book because I'm slow and stuff.

I also really need to read the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy... I started but never finished it.

I also want to read lolita... But at the same time I don't. :|

This is hindered by me currently reading through Tales of the Otoris. Again. All books. Including the prequel. "Whoops".
Once I start re-reading it I can't stop!
Snuffan

Postby Seven Rain » August 20th, 2012, 5:32 pm

A big chunk of the Redwall series. I've read Redwall, Mattimeo, and the Martin saga, but I still have Lord Brocktree and Rakkety Tam sitting in a drawer, completely unread other than like a chapter of Brocktree that I always end up re-reading because of how long the gaps are between my attempts to put a dent in it.

Due to how much of my attention all of my other interests take up, I've told myself the only series of novels I'm ever going to bother with is Redwall, which are both a nostalgia trip and just all around fun books to read, but it's still difficult to find time for it.
Seven Rain

Postby Ddraigeneth » August 20th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Snuffan wrote:I also really need to read the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy... I started but never finished it.

Fair warning, if you weren't already aware, publishers are assholes and put him on a really tight schedule to write the last book (Mostly Harmless), so he kind of went "fuck it." He meant to go back to give it a proper ending, but didn't end up having a chance. Apparently,"author Eoin Colfer [wrote] the sixth instalment entitled And Another Thing... with the support of Jane Belson, Adams' widow," but I have yet to read that.

Still a great series. I also heartily recommend Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

On an unrelated note, I'm vaguely curious to read through Machiavelli's "The Prince." What excerpts I've seen have been rather interesting.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Nikkinoodles » August 21st, 2012, 5:09 pm

I've got a ridiculously large list of books to read still, not set books or anything, those days are long gone. It's mostly just books I want to read for pleasure/research.

It includes:
Fiction -
Lancelot's Challenge (part of a larger fiction series called the Knights of Camelot that explores a possible homosexual/love relationship between Arthur and Lancelot and is fairly well written. There's also a lot of sex)
The Tower by Manfredi
The Saga of Larten Crepsley series by Darren Shan

Non-Fiction-
The Gods of the Celts
The Penguin Book of Norse Myths
Elements of Ritual
Neitzche's Beyond Good and Evil
Aristotle's Ethics
Eishiya said: wrote:groin attacks build character

Muh blog
Nikkinoodles

Postby mitchellbravo » August 21st, 2012, 5:14 pm

Looking at my bookshelf, I see a lot of books I haven't touched in years with bookmarks sticking out of them, that I just never got around to finishing for one reason or another. :( I would make a list up but figure I'd just wind up depressing myself.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby UrbanMysticDee » August 21st, 2012, 6:09 pm

Okay, just a few. I'm not big on fiction, so my collection of unread fiction books grows quickly.

Re-reads (now I have the sequels, so I want to get updated on the story again)
Lost Horizon
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Zero Stone

First time
The Road Back
Uncharted Stars
A Canticle for Leibowitz
The Men Who Ruled India (first in line - I'll start this week)

I have literally oodles of books I haven't read yet because 1. library books need to be returned so there's more of an incentive to read them (and more of an incentive to blow off reading books I own), and 2. I have nowhere to put them but the floor so it's hard to distinguish between read and unread books.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Ddraigeneth » August 21st, 2012, 7:14 pm

It's amazing to me that so many people will start books and then not finish them. o.o

The only book I ever stopped reading halfway through was Lord of the Rings, and I was ten.
Ivanhoe doesn't count, because I didn't make it past the first page. I had just gotten approved for the highest reading level in my school's computer system, so I went and grabbed the first thing I could find. xD
Ddraigeneth

Postby mitchellbravo » August 21st, 2012, 7:46 pm

Ddraigeneth wrote:It's amazing to me that so many people will start books and then not finish them. o.o

I used to be unable to finish books, even if they were terrible. The only books I didn't finish as a child were the third Nancy Drew book and I lost interest somewhere into the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series and stopped mid-book. Everything else I would force myself to finish in case the ending would somehow redeem the trudge it took to get there :P

I think that I've spent so much time reading things online though that I can't read printed books as fast as I used to. So it's a mix of reading slower than I used to, and whenever i get enough time to read a book I end up thinking "Well if I have enough time to read this book I have enough time to do [chore]" and the book ends up abandoned :( Because of this it took me two summers to read "It"
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Ddraigeneth » August 21st, 2012, 7:54 pm

AndToBeLoved reminded me that I want to read Dorian Gray.
Ddraigeneth

Next

Return to Books & Literature