Your Backlog/To-Read List

Re: Your Backlog/To-Read List

Postby Mr Aids » August 22nd, 2012, 4:17 am

Falconer wrote:
eishiya wrote:World War Z

I read this! I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's definitely a different sort of zombie story, and I liked the approach it took to it a lot.

Yeah I was slightly put off at first, but I got hooked pretty quickly after the first few stories.

At the moment I've been trying to read through the works of Chuck Palahniuk and Stephen King, and currently reading Carrie by Stephen King. Although there's a new Dark Tower book that I want to read, I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.

Ddraigeneth wrote:It's amazing to me that so many people will start books and then not finish them. o.o

The only book I ever stopped reading halfway through was Lord of the Rings, and I was ten.

I remember trying to read one of those books, I borrowed it from the library and read it non-stop, but I'd only gotten halfway through before I had to return it. Those books are LONG.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Nikkinoodles » August 30th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I managed to finish Norse Myths. For some reason I struggle to get through non-fiction as quickly as I do fiction novels. Either way that book gave me ideas for a new novel and helped clear up some points I was struggling with on my current novel.
Eishiya said: wrote:groin attacks build character

Muh blog
Nikkinoodles

Postby Durvin » August 30th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Despite the fact that my college's library was named after the guy, I just heard about James Branch Cabell. He was a snarky fantasy author with a sort of dreamy quality; he's one of Neil Gaiman's favorite authors. I plan to read everything the guy wrote; I started with "The Biography of Manuel", and it's awesome.
Durvin

Postby hestia.edwards » July 7th, 2015, 8:59 pm

I have many books that I have started and many that I want to start.

Books started, not yet finished:
Northanger Abbey--got distracted a few months ago, haven't returned.
Lilith by George MacDonald--actively reading before bed.
The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan--mildly entertaining. I liked the last book better.
A Victorian Household by Shirley Nicholson--I should finish since it would be useful research material.
The Watchmen, Allan Moore--I'm not sure I can finish this one: too dense.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell--I'm listening to the audiobook, and it's good.

What I want to start:
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Age of Excess: The United States from 1877 to 1914 by Ray Ginger
In the Arms of Morpheus by Barbara Hodgson.
hestia.edwards

Postby Ddraigeneth » July 8th, 2015, 2:48 am

hestia.edwards wrote:Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell--I'm listening to the audiobook, and it's good.

Ooh, it is. I found it at a yard sale for fifty cents. :3
It's been a few years now, since I read it, so it's a good time for the TV series to come out. I can be like, "Oh cool, I remember that part!" without critiquing it to death. Then re-read it later, and be more lenient on the show than I would've been otherwise. Really, that's the only way I can properly enjoy book adaptations. :lol:

Let's see, my current to-do/to-get list...
  • Last couple Discworld books
  • A Slip of the Keyboard, a collection of essays from Terry Pratchett
  • The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie
  • You're Never Weird on the Internet, by Felicia Day
  • Catch-22
Ddraigeneth

Postby hestia.edwards » July 8th, 2015, 11:14 pm

Ddraigeneth wrote:It's been a few years now, since I read it, so it's a good time for the TV series to come out. I can be like, "Oh cool, I remember that part!" without critiquing it to death. Then re-read it later, and be more lenient on the show than I would've been otherwise. Really, that's the only way I can properly enjoy book adaptations.

Yeah, I thought of waiting to re-read the book, but I decided to read it anyway, and perhaps tear the mini-series to pieces. oh well. :roll:
hestia.edwards

Postby Beedle » July 27th, 2015, 9:36 am

I went to a used bookstore the other day and I found a few by C.S. Lewis
- Perelandra
- That Hideous Strength

They unfortunately didn't have the first of the trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet. I heard of the books a long time ago, but I never got around to reading them. I think I'm going to pick up the first book and start reading them soon. Quite excited.
Beedle

Postby mitchellbravo » January 27th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Got 3 books and I can't decide which one I want to read right now, I suppose I can give each a try and just move on if I'm not feeling it.

-a book on old house restorations I got from the library, this is its final renewal before I have to physically get it renewed if I"m still not done with it. It's neat because it's just tidbits about little things about quotidian historical life and how to use, fix, replace etc. various antique appliances and doodads. Not really "reading" reading but it's pleasant for passing the time.

-a modern British crime novel, also from the library, that after only reading the jacket I'm already picturing Oly's cops as the characters XD I just finished a shorter fiction book today though and I'm not sure I'm ready to start jumping in to a new world yet :c

-my student is reading a biography on Jane Goodall for class so I told her I'd read my Dian Fossey book (that I've had for YEARS ugh me) and we can compare notes :P I might go with this one now just because I know it will be fun to talk about it with her, and i have had it for a long time and it's good a time as any to start reading it.

edit: Going back to my posts on the last page (from 3 years ago) I've gotten a lot faster at reading print again, which is nice. Like I read the Hunger Games trilogy recently and averaged about 8 hours per book which was like 50 pages per hour so starting new books is less daunting now. Also over the summer (or maybe the fall) I sorted all of my bookshelves and moved all the books I haven't read all to the same shelf. There's some on there that I really don't feel like I'm ever going to read but I can always start them and if I don't like it I can poof them away in the magic go-go box of charity. That's a concern for another day.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Previous

Return to Books & Literature