Disappointing Reads

Re: Disappointing Reads

Postby Ddraigeneth » November 8th, 2012, 11:29 am

easycomics wrote:"The Lovely Bones"
Spoiler! :
What really killed the book for me was when she decided to possess the girl who was hanging out with her first love so she could finally sleep with him from beyond the grave and he knew it was her. For freaking serious? It struck me as a lame excuse to have the scene.

I said the exact same thing on the first page. :lol: It was odd.
Ddraigeneth

Postby easycomics » November 8th, 2012, 1:45 pm

So glad I'm not alone in that! I kept looking else where to see if anyone else had that WTF? moment! And he knew it was her? Oh brother that came out of nowhere.
easycomics

Postby cheezNH » November 8th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Chasing Harry Winston. My girlfriends raved over the book, so I finally picked it up at the airport.

...Someone's really got to invent a way to clear brain cells of horrid memory such as Chasing Harry Winston.
cheezNH

Postby corruption » November 8th, 2012, 9:22 pm

cheezNH wrote:...Someone's really got to invent a way to clear brain cells of horrid memory such as Chasing Harry Winston.

It's called a LOT of strong booze, or watching reality TV. Both destroy the brain leaving you a mindless mass of unmoving fleash, but reality TV isn't anywere near as fun. In fact, you may want the booze to make you forget the reality TV!
We are all corrupt in our own ways
corruption

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2012, 2:25 pm

I remember being really bored by Kristin Cashore's Gracling.

It was a book that started off really interesting with a really interesting world. Some children were born with a Gracling (Shown via hetrochromic eyes), is the ability to gain an instantainiously mastery over something. A 10 year old with a Gracling for baking could make this 2 meter high wedding cake that would blow the minds out of anyone that tasted it, or someone with a gracling for archery can hit bird from a mile away (There are some useless graclings mentioned likelike being able to hold your breath for hours. Luck of the draw.). What made this more interesting was the fact that King got rights to children with graclings and all children with useful graclings were taken into the custody of the king, and never to see their families again. Which cause parents to NOT want their chold to recieve such an amazing gift.

So what did the author do with this facinating world?
Dominated it with a rushed, awkward, love story.

That's pretty much it. This new world with the prospects of the Gracling? An excuse for them to meet. The plot of the kingdoms being at the verge of war? Mentioned now and again. I got through two thirds of this book which was mostly entirely based aroud this love story, and as soon as the L word was finally dropped, right the hell outa no where I might add, I was done. Book closed, banished to the unfished shelf to gather dust.

A few years later, while I now write this, I find it funny that the plot for this book is pretty much one quarter of every episode of MLP FIM. Just give the main character a cutie mark for murder and you have a plot. :P

Postby corruption » November 13th, 2012, 2:03 am

hiddeninshadow wrote:A few years later, while I now write this, I find it funny that the plot for this book is pretty much one quarter of every episode of MLP FIM. Just give the main character a cutie mark for murder and you have a plot. :P

187 is the penal code for murder, and has entered slang as such. That could do for the mark on the MLP pony.
corruption

Postby Ddraigeneth » November 13th, 2012, 4:51 am

hiddeninshadow wrote:There are some useless graclings mentioned like being able to hold your breath for hours.

Someone doesn't like swimming.
I suppose if it's more of a medieval setting or somesuch, that would be perceived as "useless," but you could do search and rescue, marine biology, recover sunken goods, or just monopolise the market on molluscs and shellfish. :P
Ddraigeneth

Postby corruption » November 14th, 2012, 2:30 am

Ddraigeneth wrote:
hiddeninshadow wrote:There are some useless graclings mentioned like being able to hold your breath for hours.

Someone doesn't like swimming.
I suppose if it's more of a medieval setting or somesuch, that would be perceived as "useless," but you could do search and rescue, marine biology, recover sunken goods, or just monopolise the market on molluscs and shellfish. :P

Don't forget in warfare people have to watch out for dangers from the waterways such as rivers and lakes. That gracling would be able to easily sneak up on them and take them by surprise that way. Same with outlets for the opposing city's water supply.
corruption

Postby Hjels » November 14th, 2012, 6:00 am

For me, the biggest dissapointment will now and forever be Mostly Harmless, the fifth and final book in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker trilogy. I loved the first two, really liked the next two, and was bored to tears by the last one. And the ending. Gah! Don't get me started on the ending. The way characters are discarded, the uninteresting new characters and the terrible, terrible ending, that tries to tie back to the old books are just... bleh.

So dissapointing.
It's pronounced "yells".
Hjels

Postby Ddraigeneth » November 14th, 2012, 6:36 am

Hjels wrote:Mostly Harmless...So dissapointing.

He was under a lot of pressure from the publishers. :( He was considering going back and writing another one, but...yeah. I haven't read the unofficial sequel.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Hjels » November 14th, 2012, 11:18 am

I know. And I Adams is still my favorite author, and the Hitchhikers series is the only books I can read over and over, but that last book....
It's pronounced "yells".
Hjels

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2012, 2:48 pm

corruption wrote:
hiddeninshadow wrote:A few years later, while I now write this, I find it funny that the plot for this book is pretty much one quarter of every episode of MLP FIM. Just give the main character a cutie mark for murder and you have a plot. :P

187 is the penal code for murder, and has entered slang as such. That could do for the mark on the MLP pony.

A bloody knife would be easier, but I like your creativity. :lol:

Postby ireallylikeapples » November 30th, 2012, 2:34 pm

I'm reading a book right now called Jump, I forget who it's by. Sorry, I suck. But it's about these people that go across the country rock climbing and one is a rebellious teenage girl, and one is a mental patient and they just met and want to escape and such, and it could be cool, but the characters are so lumping simple-minded. Basically all they talk about through the whole thing is being vaguely attracted to each other. It's stupid. Would not recommend.
"When we do not know who to hate, we hate ourselves." -Chuck Palahniuk

"All pot is cosmic pot, that's why the demon lords put it on earth." -Sugar Glider Man
ireallylikeapples

Postby flying » December 2nd, 2012, 4:50 am

The Dresden Files were disappointing. I only read Storm Front and Fool Moon and then I gave up hope, that somewhere along the way the writer gets any better. People writing amazon reviews seem to like them. I don't get it, I suppose I must be missing something.

Spoiler! :
It's been a while since I read them. I didn't like the first person writing (which even disregarding the first person view was bad in my opinion), but I guess it was chosen to give it a kind of noir feeling? But I got used to that.
I couldn't shake the feeling that this guy was some kind of Mary Sue.
He is a wizard detective, with a grumpy sidekick scull and a "sexy" police detective employing him for jobs. Even though he advertises as a wizard (on the phone book) at the same time he tries to hide he is an actual wizard.. :roll:
I hated the way the main character characterized and described the people around him. That made the main character really unlikable for me.
I guess the only good thing about the books was that they were rather short..
This is a monster. It is big and blue.
You are small and round. You are crumbly and sweet. You are a cookie.
The monster will eat you now
flying

Postby Song » December 2nd, 2012, 5:14 am

Spoiler! :
Harry Potter

I'M SORRY THAT BOOK JUST DIDN'T GET MY INTEREST AT ALL GAH
Song

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Literature