Disappointing Reads

Re: Disappointing Reads

Postby MK_Wizard » September 25th, 2017, 4:01 pm

I would be lying if I said it was disappointing, but things specifically were disappointing in a series. There is this one series that I read that is fun, but there are a lot of grammatical and spelling errors to the point where it's a bit much and unprofessional.

Another one I read and like disappoints me because it is another 'divorce story'. In other words, the woman gets dumped by her cheating husband, but then becomes all successful, the kids like her better and she meets a new man who is perfect. This trend is one of the few that always peeved me and I'm a woman myself. Yes, I know there are ex-husbands who are deserters, but it's not fair to portray ALL of them this way. Some are decent men. Plus, there are ex-wives who are no better than the deserting ex-husbands. I was actually hoping that it would be a story where the husband comes to his senses and reconciles with his wife. Instead, he's just portrayed as unlikable for the sake of being unlikable. I don't like that at all.
MK_Wizard

Postby LemPem » October 2nd, 2017, 3:21 pm

I read a book called Feed earlier this year... apparently there's a few more books in that series but I barely made it through the first one. I thought it'd be exciting (being about zombies and all, which I love!) but I swear the book could be about 100 pages lighter if the author didn't describe, in horrendous detail, the process of walking through every. single. door. in the entire book... It was cool to read about the infection-detection gear the first time, a little less interesting the second time and by the end I thought to myself "no, no, no, not another dang door...!"

I only finished the book 'cause 1, I'd paid for it and didn't want it to 'defeat' me, and 2, I tried to give it an honest chance until the end. It was not worth it.
I was looking forward to a decent zombie story but got little to no zombies and incest-y vibes from the two main protagonists...
If anyone here enjoyed it, good for you! It wasn't my kind of book.
LemPem

Postby UrbanMysticDee » October 4th, 2017, 11:21 pm

War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges. That guy is such a tryhard. The guy is a wannabe badass who talks about his fantasies of picking fights and how being in combat is this great drug, even though he's never been in combat, he's just witnessed it from the safety real warriors provide. I couldn't stand how much of an asshole the guy was, so I just put it back.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Previous

Return to Books & Literature