When will the next Smackjeeves awards start?

Can't find the answer to your question in the Knowledge Base? Post it here and we'll answer it as quickly as possible.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Forum rules
About
This board is designated for Smack Jeeves related support. If you have a question about using the site or the forums, you've come to the right place.

Before Posting
Please browse/search the Knowledge Base & FAQs Forum for the answer to your problem before posting. It contains an extremely helpful, organized list of common help topics.

Got a Bug?
Post it in Bugs & Glitches, not here.

Rules

1) Use descriptive titles for your threads. Example: "How do I upload comics?" Do not use vague titles like, "question," "HELP! ANYBODY??"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) One question per thread. Do not post multiple questions in one thread; that way, we can resolve questions individually. Make a new thread for each question you have, unless your questions are closely related.

4) Be polite. The more polite you are, the more people will want to help you. Be patient, and we will help you find the solution to your problem.

If your question has been resolved, please say so. A thank you would also be nice. If your question has NOT been answered, say so in the original topic. If your topic has been moved to resolved, you may then AND ONLY THEN post a new topic regarding the same issue.

When will the next Smackjeeves awards start?

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2012, 5:11 am

Just curious, I found the last one rather interesting.

Re: When will the next Smackjeeves awards start?

Postby Troll » May 13th, 2012, 8:02 am

It's usually around March but since 2 months have already passed, I assume it'll be next year.
Just a guess.
Troll

Postby eishiya » May 13th, 2012, 9:19 am

Nobody stepped up to do the awards this year, and none of last year's team wanted to do them again because of some drama. There was one person with prior experience who agreed to hold the awards together if other people volunteered to help, but I guess no one did.
eishiya

Postby mosama » May 13th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Thats sad that we couldnt have one this year because people couldn't stop bitching about the people who made the awards being in the nominations. NOW WE HAVE NOTHING. Not even each other.
mosama

Postby blankd » May 13th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I'd volunteer to help in some fashion but I'll be honest and say I don't have the resources or reserves to do it. And the fact I have no idea where to start or really, what to do, so I'm ill-equipped to do anything.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby xkrazydog » May 13th, 2012, 4:48 pm

mosama wrote:Thats sad that we couldnt have one this year because people couldn't stop bitching about the people who made the awards being in the nominations. NOW WE HAVE NOTHING. Not even each other.

because it was a legitimate reason to bitch about? A nominations is pretty crap if its not regulated and at least free from common bias.
xkrazydog

Postby Pie God » May 13th, 2012, 5:01 pm

xkrazydog wrote:because it was a legitimate reason to bitch about? A nominations is pretty crap if its not regulated and at least free from common bias.

So, we need no bias, hmm~?
Awwight, new awards, every single nomination and winner is decided by randomizer.

no jk don't hurt me
Pie God

Postby mosama » May 13th, 2012, 5:51 pm

xkrazydog wrote:
mosama wrote:Thats sad that we couldnt have one this year because people couldn't stop bitching about the people who made the awards being in the nominations. NOW WE HAVE NOTHING. Not even each other.

because it was a legitimate reason to bitch about? A nominations is pretty crap if its not regulated and at least free from common bias.

I know but whats worse an SJ awards with bias or no SJ awards at all?
A child with brain damage or no child at all?
mosama

Postby Afrohawkman » May 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Right, I might as well appear in this thread since I was the one who was supposed to do it.

I just didn't feel like doing it honestly. The whole "judges having their comics thing in the nominations" isn't entirely the reason I didn't want to do it, it's just because it was a shit ton of work for an extremely low pay off. It was a volunteer job; none of us got paid to do it, no one asked us to do it, it was just a great idea thought up by Tezzle. Where I felt like there was no pay off was not only the lack of gratitude but the lack of results. We wanted to show off comics and get people interested in other comics other than the most popular ones but the problem with this is that it still was a popularity contest. Some of the more...let's say "intelligent" members of the site certainly checked out the competition, but in the end, I felt like there was no gain from actually doing it. I don't feel like anyone got any more publicity from being a nomination or winning. If they won, they were already popular and if they didn't they were probably somewhat popular as well. No one was interested in going to another comic, and that's what was in Tezzle's vision. Since I couldn't think of a way to change this for the better, I decided not to say anything about it.

As for the lack of gratitude, I thank everyone who messaged me about how good we were and thanking us for actually doing it but I also got quite a few hate messages for "rigging the awards" and many of others on and off the forums saying next year's needed to be "less biased" (seriously! I got bloody e-mails! Who has time for that?) You want better? You fucking do it. I don't want any part of it. I was happy enough to put in all the work I did this year. I didn't ask for anything. The thank you's I got, again, were nice. But the bitching and the whining about how fair it was turns me off to the idea.

If someone else wants to step up the plate, I will NOT be on your committee, but I'll tell you at the very least how Tezzle ran things and toss in some pointers here and there. I don't want my name on this but I will help. But someone else has to be leader, I'm not putting a bullseye on my head again.
Afrohawkman

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » May 14th, 2012, 3:39 pm

There was quite a bit of frustration regarding last year... Not really regarding the whole judges voting debacle. That didn't help, but that was mostly just an annoyance to finish with. To be honest I wouldn't have minded giving it another go this year, but it takes a huge amount of time which I can't spare at the moment... Maybe next year.
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby mitchellbravo » May 14th, 2012, 8:20 pm

I have free time now, but not sure how much I'll have into the summer and later on down the line. I also feel like I'm still too much of a noob to be in charge of anything serious, and I also don't know anything and have no self-confidence regarding representing the community.

Bummer, this was such fun to read through last year. I'm sorry that it turned out to be such an exhausting experience for the judges.

How did it work out in years past?
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby --Floob-- » May 14th, 2012, 9:03 pm

When it was run by Afro, Tezzle, and company, it worked greatly.

When it was run by Wave, long story short, it sucked.
--Floob--

Postby eishiya » May 14th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I think you're talking about the wrong Smackjeeves Awards.
eishiya

Postby Afrohawkman » May 14th, 2012, 10:19 pm

--Floob-- wrote:When it was run by Wave, long story short, it sucked.

Everyone thought she rigged that too, surprise surprise. :\
But that wasn't the official ones so y'know let's just pretend it didn't happen.
Afrohawkman

Postby --Floob-- » May 15th, 2012, 6:56 am

Afrohawkman wrote:
--Floob-- wrote:When it was run by Wave, long story short, it sucked.

Everyone thought she rigged that too, surprise surprise. :\
But that wasn't the official ones so y'know let's just pretend it didn't happen.

Sounds good. It never happened.

Wait, what are we talking about again?
--Floob--

Return to New Questions