General Gaming

General Gaming

Postby granmastern » May 18th, 2009, 9:41 am

EDIT: For discussion that doesn't deserve its own topic.
-Yakkity
------------------
I'm not too sure how to start this thread.

I suppose anything videogame related.

What is your favourite console? why? like? dislikes?

Handhelds or Home systems?

Gameplay or graphics?

Games with a storyline vs games that can be played over and over (casual)?

Retro or modern?

PC or consoles?

Is Onlive really the future of gaming?
Last edited by granmastern on May 19th, 2009, 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
granmastern

Re: The Gaming Thread.

Postby Derek Dragomir » May 18th, 2009, 10:08 am

Nintendo hand-helds have always been my favorite console. Mainly to play Pokemon, one of my top favorite games.

And by the way... why would be the Wii be a rip off? A rip-off of what?
Derek Dragomir

Postby granmastern » May 18th, 2009, 10:16 am

Derek Dragomir wrote:And by the way... why would be the Wii be a rip off? A rip-off of what?

Oh, I'll just quote from the E3 thread:
About the WiiMotionPlus (another accessory??), I don't have any current gen console, but this is the sort of stuff that tempts me to get a ps3 or 360, I mean why should you guys get charged more for "fixing" the wiimote and making it more accurate (which should have been implemented in the first place)?

(prices in british pounds)

Wii (likely to have a 4 year lifespan, with 1 wiimote + nunchuck) + 3 wiimotes + 3 nunchuks + 4 motionplus = 180 + 90 + 45 + 100 = £415

PS3 (likely to have a 6-8 year lifespan, controller) + 3 controllers = 295 + 105 = £400

To me thats not a good deal..

I suppose I'll add handheld vs home console
granmastern

Postby pockymousie » May 18th, 2009, 11:40 am

What is your favourite console? why? like? dislikes? (is the wii a rip-off? are videogames in general rip-offs)

Playstations (in general) and DS's. (Although, I LOVED the 64)

BOTH! :) Although handhelds can be taken places, I love homesystems because of the usually better graphics, hehe.

Gameplay or graphics?

Gameplay, although graphics are amazing.

STORYLINEEEE.

Retro or modern?

Hmm... Futuristic/Set in another world/Fantasy. :)

PC or consoles?

CONSOLES.

NO. PLEASE NO.
http://www.pockymouse.com ^
Creep wrote:Yes. I'm the moonwalking bear.

Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Ever notice how studying is STUDent and DYING put together?
pockymousie

Postby avian-reader » May 18th, 2009, 12:11 pm

What is your favourite console? why? like? dislikes? (is the wii a rip-off? are videogames in general rip-offs)

The PS2 I guess, untill I eventually upgrade. I've tried X-Box and Gamecube and they're ok, but I can't help feeling daft trying to play Wii.

Depends on what you want out of them.

Gameplay or graphics?

Gameplay, every time. Although pretty graphics are nice too.

Storyline. For replay value, I go for Metal Slug.

Retro or modern?

Modern. Retro games are fun for five minutes, then they get repetitive.

PC or consoles?

Consoles, I like to just pop in and play, not wade through hours of downloading stuff off the disc.

Is Online really the future of gaming?

Not for story oriented gameplay, although I can see it getting really big in the future.
Last edited by avian-reader on May 18th, 2009, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Resolution: Work hard and do well with my job, OU studies, and BSL Level 2
avian-reader

Postby Mach » May 18th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Mega Drive. It doesnt give you 3 red rings of death...

They both have a place. Handhelds are for when you are "on the move"

Gameplay or graphics?
Gameplay. Good graphics dont hide a bad game (Despite what EA would like you to believe)

Again, Both. I like a game where I can relax with, but I also like one to get really involved into from time to time

Retro or modern?
As long as the gameplay is there, I'm not fussed (although that by default makes me retro, as most games now are same old with fancier graphics)

PC or consoles?
PC. Its cheaper in the long run, plus you can usually do more with the same game

Only to a point. Its good but sometimes all I want to do is play a game with friends in the same room
Mach

Postby Trauma » May 18th, 2009, 2:45 pm

I'm a PS fan...but I love the Xbox...Left For Dead rules!

Handhelds!

Gameplay or graphics?

I'm actually for the plot and gameplay! Graphics can be crappy 8bits, as long as there is a good plot and good gameplay involved...

Tough one! I'd have to say storyline!

Retro or modern?

Modern...retro get boring after a while...

PC or consoles?

Consoles! I'm not a fan of pc games at all...

Is Online really the future of gaming?

No...this is the future of gaming: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onlive :shock:
Trauma

Postby SeanRhee » May 18th, 2009, 3:05 pm

ah... vidyagames... so many memories.

well, my favourite console is the SNES. why? because it's the fucking SNES, it has the greatest game library ever, and it's pretty much the best thing ever.

and of course things like, NES, N64, GC, 360, PS2, DS... they're all good too.

no preference of home or handhelds, as long as it has good games.

definitely gameplay over graphics. cuz graphics are useless unless it has something amazing to portray. (recent case of failure due to lack of gameplay and too much graphics: fallout 3)

i like games with storylines that you can really enjoy, that also come with infinite replay value. although, games like guitar hero is always at the top for me, solely due to the reason that you can play it whenever you want, for as long as you want, over and over.

i must say i'm more of a "retro" gamer, mainly because i was raised on Tetris on the GB, Super Mario Bros. on the SNES, and Super Mario Kart and Super Mario World on the SNES. i wasn't introduced to any new consoles (minus PC) until about... late 2000? and that was an N64. didn't have a PS console for the longest time, didn't have a 360 until about just over a year ago. OLDSKOOL WUTTTTT.

PC, consoles, they're all good.

and no, onlive looks like shit.
SeanRhee

Postby RedNoseDog » May 18th, 2009, 4:54 pm

360. I've played Xbox since 2nd generation. Playstation before that.

Both

Gameplay or graphics?
Gameplay

What about games with a storyline that can be played over again to try a different route and get even more of the story?

Retro or modern?
Modern

PC or consoles?
If they made more games for Mac, I would say PC :(

I haven't heard much about it yet.
RedNoseDog

Postby Imi » May 18th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I love me some Sony, so PS3 all the way for me. I came really late to gaming, like, when the PS2 had been out for over a year, that was the first game related anything I had. So. I haven't really...spread myself very much.

I like my DS, but I only play on it occasionally. So Home.

Gameplay or graphics?
Nnnh, hard one. I'm a sucker for good graphics, though, and can put up with a game that has little to no plot if the graphics are nice to look at. Generally, though, I've been quite lucky in that the games I go for have both qualities.

Again, difficult, though looking at my collection I'd have to say storyline.

Retro or modern?
Modeeern, for reasons I gave in my first answer. I haven't been into gaming long enough to have experienced anything truly retro.

PC or consoles?
If my PC wasn't such a douche, I'd probably say PC. As it is, I'll go for consoles, because the chance of my lovely PS3 crashing on me is far, far less.

I briefly saw it mentioned when flicking through a magazine, but was too distracted by Assassin's Creed 2 promotional images to bother reading.
Imi

Postby tezzle » May 18th, 2009, 5:29 pm

My first video game system was the Game Boy Color. The earliest game I remember playing on it was Pokemon.

Heh. I didn't know you could run from wild pokemon at first. I thought "Item Run" was one phrase meaning like "run through your list of items." I also didn't know you couldn't faint wild Pokemon...that made no sense to me. "Wait, they're fainted. That means they're unconscious. They can't just vanish. They're right there! Let me throw the ball!

I guess I should've read the manual, but...come on..who does that?

Nerds, that's who.

Anyway, the occasional DS game is what I mainly stick to. I've never been good at console games. Never played them in my youth. I think it's one of those things you get while your brain is still able to pick up skills easier. I liked to watch people play...still do. So yeah. I'm not a gamer.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Imi » May 18th, 2009, 5:46 pm

tezzle wrote: I also didn't know you couldn't faint wild Pokemon...that made no sense to me. "Wait, they're fainted. That means they're unconscious. They can't just vanish. They're right there! Let me throw the ball!

In all my years playing Pokemon I have never thought of this before. Now I find myself unreasonably angry at Nintendo for taking advantage of me like that D<
Imi

Postby Sai » May 18th, 2009, 5:51 pm

SNES, because it is made of win and nostalgia. PS2 and XBOX360 at a tie for second.

Ehhh, more home. I like my DS, but I usually use it for Japanese-learning games, haha.

Gameplay or graphics?

Gameplay and story, please. I don't care for the super pretty graphics. I like simple graphic that hold their own charm. Like the MOTHER games.

Storyline, plz. But I got me a good amount of fighting games in my collection as well. <3

Retro or modern?

Ain't nothin like the old days, baby. Retro.

PC or consoles?

Consoles.

Maybe, but it's going to have it's kinks before it's perfected. Even if those kinks are worked out, there will be plenty more problems to arise. Thus I'm skeptical about OnLive and think it will be epic fail.
Sai

Postby Seven Rain » May 18th, 2009, 6:47 pm

I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, as well as Sony when it comes to the PSX and PS2.
Although I do own a PS3, but I definitely liked the PSX and PS2 games more than what's come out so far.
And I definitely don't think the Wii is a rip-off. As I said in the E3 thread: As long as the Virtual Console exists, the Wii will always be worth far more to me than the PS3 or 360.
Speaking of which, here's my VC collection, just for the hell of it. XD

NES
Mega Man
Zelda II
Ninja Gaiden III
River City Ransom

SNES
Cybernator
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Zelda: LttP
SMRPG
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Breath of Fire II
Secret of Mana
Super Castlevania IV
Act Raiser

Genesis
Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Gunstar Heroes
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Vector Man
Beyond Oasis
Comix Zone

TurboGrafx 16
Dragon's Curse
Lords of Thunder

N64
Kirby 64
Paper Mario
Sin & Punishment
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Story
Zelda 64
Mario Golf

WiiWare
FFCC: My Life as a King

Still plenty more I want to get when they actually get to the VC... The first six Final Fantasy games, both Mystical Ninja games on N64, and Mischief Makers are at the top of my, "please add to VC! ;-;" list.

When it comes down to games themselves... ('cuz let's face it, you don't buy a console for the motion control or the blueray, you buy it for the Games!)

My favorite genre has to be JRPGs, 'cuz I love storyline in games, (Especially stories with romance. :3), and it doesn't get much deeper than JRPG stories.
Final Fantasy IX is probably my favorite JRPG ever, at least out of the old school turn-based stuff.
Kingdom Hearts I&II, Star Ocean 3, pretty much love Final Fantasy 5-10, (didn't really care for 12...)

I also like fighting games. SSBB and Guilty Gear are way at the top for me, and I gotta admit, even though I don't like Naruto, the Ultimate Ninja games are awesome fighters.

I don't wanna try listing all the games I like, 'cuz I'd be here all day. ^^;

Gameplay vs. graphics...
I'd choose to play Super Metroid over any 360 shooter, and GTA4's awesomeness pales in comparison to Zelda 64, so I think my opinion on this matter is obvious. XD

Retro or modern...
I love oldschool so much that I'll play something just because of how old it is. But don't get me wrong, I like plenty of newer games... But you simply can't beat Retro.

PC or consoles...
CONSOLES!

In closing; I love storyline, I love oldschool stuff, I love anything that brings me that heavenly feeling called Nostalgia... X3
Although to be honest I love tons of different games. I love nerdy stuff like Nintendo games and RPGs, but that doesn't stop me from playing newer stuff like a little co-op Gears of War with my friend, or sitting with GTA4 on and my eyes glued to the screen for hours on end. (I blame the Rag doll physics. XD)

Last but not least; I respect all opinions in gaming, and despise the "Console Wars".
Oh, and forgive the huge post, but that's how much I'm obsessed with Gaming. XD
mitchellbravo wrote:Seven let's go out for a beer, and by a beer I mean an expensive creative flavor ice cream

SMRPG Episode 8 is go! Watch me do horrible at mini-games!
Spoiler! :
Seven Rain

Postby X4I » May 18th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Favorite console?
Well, SNES of course! All the wonders of 16 bit gaming with that good old cartridge system.
(Bugger to those fancy newfangled disk based systems..“Loading”?! That is only acceptable if you're a tape fed Commodore, hog darn it!)

Hand held or home?
Home. (that first game boy ate batteries like they was cookies, and with no back light..)

Game play or graphics?
Game play. Like many have stated correctly, looking good has no effect on being fun.
(Some of the best games i played had ascii based graphics. "Angband" or "Beast" anybody?)

Story line?
Only if it's good, otherwise leave it out.

Retro or.. Yeah, retro!
Old dos games prodded posterior.

Console or PC?
Personal Computer baby!!

Is a whatchamahoozit (something to do with online gaming?) the future?
Well, seeing as i couldn't be bothered to even wiki that, I really couldn't say.
If it turns out to be, let me know.
I'll be playing Windwalker on an old 286..

You have spooked the heron. As it flies away it loses some of it's feathers.”
"Yeah, gimme that plumage, yah manky Ardeidae!"
"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me."
Nathaniel Lee

X4I

Next

Return to Video Games