The Past and Future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Hey look, new Sonic game

Postby misuzu » September 10th, 2009, 1:22 am

gun21 wrote:Sonic peaked in 1994 when Sonic 3, and Knuckles was unleashed.

It required two cartridges, it was twice the price, but I'll press you hard to find any platforming game from that era that comes close how great it was.

it pains me that they couldn't include the lock-on titles in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. 3 with Knuckles is my all time fave Sonic title.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
misuzu

Postby Mr Aids » September 10th, 2009, 2:22 am

Sonic and Mario should be put in a room, and be made to fight to the death. Whover emerges from the room gets to die under a wave of fans that can't let the past go.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Seven Rain » September 10th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Pfft... The reason I can't let the past go is because the present and foreseeable future has yet to live up to it IMO. (I will always consider Yoshi's Island and Zelda 64 the greatest games ever.)
Seriously though, I get so much joy out of nostalgic feelings and childhood memories I'm about to just call Nostalgia a full on fetish of mine. o.O

And back on the topic of Sonic... Wait, I've said everything I meant to say...
New game might be cool, I'm sick of people complaining about Shadow and newer characters, Sonic CD was my fave 2D Sonic... Blah blah blah...
Carry on Blue Blur fans. *Runs off to play some old-ass games.*
Seven Rain

Postby kotor » September 10th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Sonic BOOM indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0

That right there was the most important minute-an-a-half movie of my childhood.
kotor

Postby Seven Rain » September 10th, 2009, 1:37 pm

*High-fives*
Seven Rain

Postby Tailsgod » September 10th, 2009, 2:07 pm

Honestly this game announcement has made my crappy summer worth the wait (brother got epilepsy may 1st, dog dies sep. 7, summer sucked in between). Honestly being able to see this just has me giddy. I still think that they should have the batton passed to Tails, I would love to see the fox get some more screen time then he does right now
Tailsgod

Postby Seven Rain » September 10th, 2009, 2:32 pm

I love Tails. :3
... But just like Shadow I don't think they should base a whole game about him. I think SA1 had the best system. Plenty of Characters to play as, yet you didn't HAVE to play as all of them unless you wanted the Super Sonic chapter. (Also a better system than collecting the Chaos Emeralds like the old games, IMO.)
Seven Rain

Postby Tailsgod » September 10th, 2009, 3:00 pm

well the thing is, Tails is probably the only one that could step into Sonic's place: Knuckles is to focused on strength, Shadow is fast enough but has many character flaws (aka him being alive, I'm sorry but he should of ended in SA2), Amy is just a no, cream is too young, Chaotix is to much of a comic relief to lead the series, Big GOD NO, Silver is to silverish, the only characters that stand a chance at the spotlight is Tails and Blaze, Since Tails is the originally sidekick, he should get the spotlight.

Heck he's proven he could be quite the badass on several occasions (Sonic X where he stands alone against Shadow, AOSTH when he stops the badnicks by himself, Sonic Underground by not being in it, Sonic Adventure 2 he has built a giant mecha, Sonic 2-3 by flying, Sonic the Comic just everything about him works well) but is able to be a lovable character as well.

Heck he's also 10, leaving alot of room for development, he has proven to be a leader on several occasions, so my question is: why is Tails getting no credit lately?

He also has an extremely depressing story line behind him, far more than Shadow, and yet he can keep smiling.

Tails does deserve his own (new) game.
Tailsgod

Postby kotor » September 10th, 2009, 3:02 pm

I like it Sonic 3 and Knuckles style - Sonic, plus two or three other characters you could play as, all playing the same levels. But if you play as other characters and climb walls or fly, you can find secrets that would otherwise be hidden.

But personally, I do like a good Special Stage. Running through giant halfpipes or avoiding red balls to collect the emeralds was the highlight of the Genesis games.

If this new game is anything like Sonic Rivals, where it looks cool and 3D but is essentially 2D, I'll be happy. Especially because that annoying race feature will be gone...
kotor

Postby Seven Rain » September 10th, 2009, 3:13 pm

kotor wrote:But personally, I do like a good Special Stage. Running through giant halfpipes or avoiding red balls to collect the emeralds was the highlight of the Genesis games.

Oh, I loved the Special stages too. I just thought it was kind of annoying that you had to complete these hidden stages to get the 'true' endings.
Extra stages should hold extra rewards if you ask me.
A good example being Mario World, where those able to find and complete Star Road were simply given a short cut to the end.
If it were Sonic Style, it'd be like if you went through the whole game, got to Bowser's castle, then beat the Castle, only for it to end with another Koopaling Boss fight. Then you find out the only way to get to the actual Final boss was through Star Road.

*EDIT*
That post ended up being way longer than I expected. XD
Seven Rain

Postby gun21 » September 10th, 2009, 9:37 pm

kotor wrote:I like it Sonic 3 and Knuckles style - Sonic, plus two or three other characters you could play as, all playing the same levels. But if you play as other characters and climb walls or fly, you can find secrets that would otherwise be hidden.

Seriously, I can sit down and beat this game in one run, getting all the chaos emeralds, and super emeralds, and beat the extra boss, within half an hour with sonic.

Also, something people tend to not realize, is that while Tails and Knuckles could fly/glide respectively, sonic had extra abilities that could be used with shields, Water letting you bounce, Electric letting you double jump, and Fire letting you air dash. If you got all the super emeralds and became hyper sonic, you would be able to do an air dash in any direction.

Sonic used to be such a great franchise, what the hell happened?
gun21

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2009, 9:39 am

Seven Rain wrote:Oh, I loved the Special stages too. I just thought it was kind of annoying that you had to complete these hidden stages to get the 'true' endings.
Extra stages should hold extra rewards if you ask me.
A good example being Mario World, where those able to find and complete Star Road were simply given a short cut to the end.
If it were Sonic Style, it'd be like if you went through the whole game, got to Bowser's castle, then beat the Castle, only for it to end with another Koopaling Boss fight. Then you find out the only way to get to the actual Final boss was through Star Road.

*EDIT*
That post ended up being way longer than I expected. XD

sounds like the ending to a final fantasy. XD

Seven Rain wrote:(I will always consider Yoshi's Island and Zelda 64 the greatest games ever.)

whoo! yoshi's island! i used up the last of my work/study money last year buying that one for gba! :mrgreen:

i have that sonic collection for ps2....i only play a few of the games on there....but i love them so. if they do that again, i'd buy it. :D

Postby FlyingMonkey » September 12th, 2009, 11:33 pm

That doesn't look like Sonics outline to me...looks more like a little mouse with a sombrero...OH DEAR!!!
FlyingMonkey

Postby Afrohawkman » September 13th, 2009, 11:20 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:That doesn't look like Sonics outline to me...looks more like a little mouse with a sombrero...OH DEAR!!!

Well, you asked for it:

Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » September 13th, 2009, 3:42 pm

XD
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion