Most disappointing games ever

Most disappointing games ever

Postby redandblack64 » July 24th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Not worst games ever. Just disappointing. You know, like the disappointing lack of day/night features in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, the fact that you couldn't trade with the older games or go back to the previous regions... things like that. The game itself doesn't neccessarily have to be bad. Yeah, I'm obviously aware of differing opinions, but I still want to hear them.
redandblack64

Re: Most disappointing games ever

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Super mario sunshine, and luigis haunted mansion.
For l.h.m, I couldnt get out of this one area, and then, I just gave up one it.

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2011, 1:59 pm

I find myself disappointed in vast open world sandbox games that lack character creation. Saints Row nailed it with not only great character creation, but tons of outfits to buy and the option to go back and completely change your character whenever you want.

But games like GTAIV and Just Cause 2 kind of bum me out by being so fun yet forcing me to play as a character I don't really care about.

Oh, and whenever otherwise amazing games fall short of potential in general, usually by holding back content. In fact, I went on a rant about this some time ago;
Seven Rain wrote:*EDIT*
I just did the "I Hate Teddies!" challenge of the Challenge Tower... I... I just... I love that so much. I was laughing so hard at the dialogue.
And as if Mileena couldn't get any more endearing.

All this extra stuff though, kinda makes me wish there was a larger degree of customization in the game. Like, the developers put all this extra effort into it... So why can't the player, say... Play as Mileena holding a Teddy bear? Why can't we play as the humorous Director or the minions that run at you in the minigame?

I just don't like it when Fighters fall short of their full potential. Especially when it's a game that's already this good! MK is amazing, and yet with a little more freedom it could've been that much better! Keeping in custom soundtracks, letting us play as boss characters and event characters, letting us have at least a tiny bit of character customization, at least letting us choose which music plays on which level so I can fight to The Pit music all I want... Fighter devs need to remember the things that keep their games interesting; content and freedom. Even a kickass story and amazing soundtrack like GG/BB don't keep me entertained as long as fighters with tons of content and no limitations.

Again, not that I don't love the new MK to death, but if there's so much content in the game why does so much of it have to be unusable by the player? Let me play as the nameless cyborg, let me fight with a teddy bear in Mileena's hand, let me play as Goro, LET ME FIGHT TO THE THEME SONG FROM THE MOVIE AND ALL THE OTHER KILLER STUFF ON MY PS3'S HDD, COME ON GUYS! D:

Another notorious example for me would be Lost Planet 2. I love it. I can't say it enough. Lost Planet 2 is one of my favorite shooters ever made. Hands. Down.
But WHY!? Why is it that despite having the ability to fight bots in a few multiplayer maps, Capcom couldn't give us a fully-functioned bot mode? All the multiplayer maps and settings, but with bots?
Nothing enrages me more than relying on the community of a very obscure, (and unfairly received in the West,) game staying active to have access to all of the game's content. Since hardly anyone plays it, let alone buys DLC, and since Capcom won't update the game to rotate the leaderboards, I'm left without access to the 10 bucks worth of maps I bought, several trophies, and the satisfaction of fighting anything but giant bugs in multiplayer maps other than five levels.
Last edited by Seven Rain on July 24th, 2011, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Rain

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 24th, 2011, 2:46 pm

There was this game called Outpost that was obviously beta (or worse). You're supposed to terraform a new planet after Earth is destroyed but so many features were missing that I think actually playing the game was impossible.

There was another game called Galapagos that you can't play. You have to coax a little robot to play the game for you, which is an interesting and novel feature but didn't make things exciting or fun in the least.

MechWarrior 3 failed to live up to MechWarrior 2 by a lot as far as I'm concerned. The mechs overheat too easily and are nearly indestructable, so you have to overheat just to hit them enough to destroy them. I don't care if this is the 31st century or not, materials are not going to be able to survive all that. There were a lot of improvements in graphics and nice little extras but it was not good enough to actually be worth it.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2011, 3:44 pm

CRISIS CORE.

Ugh. I think the biggest reason I hate that game is because of how disappointing it is. Unnecessary added characters, a story padded to hell and back with things that no one cares about and didn't affect the plot of this or the original game at all, plugging for more retcons, some of the worst inconsistencies I've ever seen in one level (ex: Tseng is set on fire, falls to the ground, doesn't move; end of the level? He runs up out of nowhere with a perfect suit and hair to boot. His attack is never mentioned again). Not to mention boring and repetitive gameplay (these people made Kingdom Hearts, for crying out loud! One of the funnest games I've ever played. How do you do that???) and bland voice acting.

At least it was pretty, right?

Ugh.

Spoiler! :
And while I AM aware some padding was inevitable, given that the same plot was done in Last Order in about 30 minutes, couldn't they at least make it interesting? I don't buy for one second Zack couldn't catch some fatass scientist guy between fighting monsters. And Angeal and Lazard or whatever the fuck his name was? Why do you want me to care? Because I don't.

Postby ApaFox » July 24th, 2011, 7:27 pm

There hasn't been many games I've been honestly disappointed. I usually do my homework before buying a game.

The most recent game I've been disappointed at was Brink. It was fun, but it didn't have staying power.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby nousherwan » July 24th, 2011, 7:34 pm

If you ask me, Resident Evil 5 disappointed me like Hell. For example, Chris barely says anything, Sheva keeps on saying random crap that is very obvious,and she wastes ammo. It also was a huge copy of RE4, and did I mention the fact that CHRIS AND SHEVA KILL WESKER?!?!?! Fer God sakes, make it Chris and Jill. It was a HUGE let down. I wanted to scream, ''GOD SHEVA, Let the Majini stumble! I WANNA FALCOWN PAWNCH it!!!!!''
Murder,slaughter,crime,destruction,extinction.....is this what we have become?
nousherwan

Postby Froken Keke » July 24th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Final Fantasy XIII

Seriously, pretty much everyone seemed to be hyped at that game, and in the end nobody liked it.
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
Froken Keke

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Froken Keke wrote:and in the end nobody liked it.

Except me. ;__;
Seven Rain

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » July 24th, 2011, 8:01 pm

I'd say Final Fantasy 12, and 13, except by that point deep down I was really ready to be dissapointed.

Oh, the Donkey Kong game for the wii. Not the bongo one; the one that was supposed to be going back to the original games for the SNES that I loved... Back to its roots. MY ARSE. Slapped in motion controls which totally slow down everything, and... ... and... I died three times, and it said 'would you like Super Kong to complete the level for you'. What? WHAT?! COMPLETE THE LEVEL FOR ME?! This game highlights pretty much EVERYTHING that's wrong with the wii!! Pointless motion when you just what a bloody normal controller, and pandering to non gamers!! I pretty much switched it off immediately there and then. It's a level, the point is you're SUPPOSED to struggle your way through it, not have the damned computer do it for you!!

... ... Wow, I got angry really quickly...
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby Jops » July 24th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Seven Rain wrote:But games like GTAIV and Just Cause 2 kind of bum me out by being so fun yet forcing me to play as a character I don't really care about.

I could manage Niko, but i petty much quit playing GTA IV when he started having the hots for Kate.
"She's the most boring character in the whole game and you want me to make you go out on dates with her!? Niko, are you %@&Xiñg serious?"

As for my biggest disappointment... I'd say L.A. Noire.
It surely has redeeming qualities but i can't over the fact that the whole investigation part (the core feature of the game) turned to be so unchallenging.
Jops

Jops

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2011, 9:01 pm

nousherwan wrote:Chris barely says anything, Sheva keeps on saying random crap that is very obvious

Spoiler! :

So Capcom really did run out of ideas for RE, then? lol

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Jops wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:But games like GTAIV and Just Cause 2 kind of bum me out by being so fun yet forcing me to play as a character I don't really care about.

I could manage Niko, but i petty much quit playing GTA IV when he started having the hots for Kate.
"She's the most boring character in the whole game and you want me to make you go out on dates with her!? Niko, are you %@&Xiñg serious?"

I couldn't stand his whole "I WAS IN A WAR, BAWWW, I DON'T WANT TO LIVE VIOLENTLY, NOW LET'S KILL SOME HOOKERS AND STEAL A MILLION CARS WHILE ROBBING BANKS."
That and Rockstar gave in to one of my biggest pet peeves in modern gaming; Buzz cuts.

Then again there are still much worse protagonists. I think he was just especially disappointing for me because I loved Tommy Vercetti so much that every GTA protagonist after him felt disappointing in comparison.
Seven Rain

Postby mirakelsey » July 24th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Froken Keke wrote:and in the end nobody liked it.

Except me. ;__;

me too D:

Dragon Age II. :I I only just got around to finishing it because Legacy is coming out Tuesday. Hope that's as good as they're saying it is...
Seven Rain wrote:Silly tezzle, Pokemon is Japanese. James is the most hetero character on the show.
mirakelsey

Postby MacSimon » July 24th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Crisis 2 was sort of a dissapointing feeling, as i usually get with first person shooters in general.
I like FPS. I like FPS with a story, in soem sort of an adventure mode, not really for multiplayer like Team Fortress, just as an adventure mode. But every single one starts somewhat the same way: You're the military guy in the military ship/truck/base/etc. Someone tells you what you gotta do. Something attacks the...place where you are. During your whole experience going out from that place onto somewhere more calm, you learn all the controls, and everyone else on that ship/truck/base/etc never appear once again. Then the story. Sometimes you don't even care about what you're doing, you just DO IT. For the game to go on.
This is why many, many FPS usually end up dissapointing me. I guess the last one i cared about were the Bioshock series.

Spoiler! :
Specially the Andrew Ryan scene. That...is probably why i love so much the first game.
MacSimon

Next

Return to Video Games