Yaks Lovely Painty Time [Crits loved]

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Yaks Lovely Painty Time [Crits loved]

Postby Nymine » March 29th, 2012, 7:27 am

My god, I love watching the progression. It's basically like watching the guy getting crafted into existance. Yak can you give me some digital painting tips/painting tips in general? Its a selfish request but o3o You inspire me.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby YakkitySax » March 29th, 2012, 10:14 am

Another update, though pretty minor.

Spoiler! :

@Sonic-ock - LOL, thank you. <3 And don't give up! You're one of my favorite artists. D:

@Nymine - Oh well um, well let me see.

1. Don't be afraid to use a reference if you need one. I'm at the point where I can do a lot of stuff on my own, but having a reference to look back to helps me a lot when something is a bit more challenging (I'm still learning, of course. Noses are the hardest part for me to paint, man D: ). Someday I hope to be able to paint 100% on my own, but I don't think that'll be for a long time. Drawing from life is important and all of the classic, amazing painters back in the day used them at some point.

2. Try not to paint on a completely white/black background (Unless your painting calls for it.) In general life, there really aren't any pure whites or blacks. IF you put two "blacks" next to each other, they're going to look very different. There are a lot of people who don't go by this rule, but it's something I've decided I'd like to follow and something an artist I really look up to told me in school.

3. Create from the space. Using lines is a great tool, but recently they've been making me feel "confined" because I feel like I have to keep inside the lines, so to speak. Even if you're using lines are guides or want to use the lineart in your painting, you can still do the same thing after you put down your colors. (See below) Just hide the lineart while you do it, then go back and forth now and then and move things around as needed.

4. Referring to 3. Define and then refine. If you look at my progress, I plop down general colors and shapes, then refine them. Then define some more and refine. I suggest not sticking to painting in one place for too long, so you can see things you may have missed from staring at the same spot for too long.

5. I'm going to repeat myself. Paint from life. It's an amazing teacher. The more you do, the more confident you'll be to do the same thing on your own. (This is why I miss my life drawing classes so much D: )

6. MOST IMPORTANT RULE. Don't be afraid to fail. It's how you learn.

I'm not an expert.. but this is just some rules I follow for myself. If you want to talk about it more, I'd be happy to chat with you over PM or Skype sometime soon. <3
I love you, spam bots.
jan83fry wrote:It's my pleasure to get an opportunity to discuss in this reputed forum. I love seeing people thrive online. It's such a great opportunity I have today.

My Sketchbook
YakkitySax

Postby AlkseeyaKC » March 29th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Holy crap. you are just awesome. o n o
AlkseeyaKC

Postby Applekai13 » April 1st, 2012, 2:05 pm

Oh mah goodness. This is awe-inspiring! Loving the most recent one, and I will be watching this to see it's progress, and your progress :)

I'm watching you..... so you better not steal my cookie.

Check out my SKETCHBOOK! -> AppleKai's Sketchbook
Applekai13

Previous

Return to Creative Showcase