Mighty No. 9

Mighty No. 9

Postby --Floob-- » September 3rd, 2013, 8:08 pm

I don't think this thread has been made yet, so I guess I'll start it up.

Anyway, if you haven't heard yet, Keiji Inafune, the creator of Megaman, and his company, Comcept, have started planning for a new project much in the same vein as the original Megaman titles, called Mighty No. 9. The game will star Beck, or No. 9, and he has to take out the eight other Mighty No.s. Currently, the only other main character will be Call, a helper similar to Megaman's Roll. Comcept has a Kickstarter page set up if you want to donate to the game's development. The initial goal has already been passed, as well as two "Stretch Goals," which are basically extra content to be added after a certain amount of money has been donated, such as additional stages, or extra support for systems such as PS3 and Wii U. While not much else has been revealed yet, I'd encourage you all to donate to the making of the game, especially if you've been a longtime fan of the Megaman series, as the two are supposed to be very similar. In addition to the game getting extra content with your donations, you will get rewards based off of how much you donate, with the highest reward for donating $9,999 or more being a dinner with Keiji Inafune himself!

Other than that, are there any thoughts anyone has about this? Good/bad idea, opinions, ideas to include in the game (there's actually one donation reward that lets you design a challenge for the game), etc?
--Floob--

Re: Mighty No. 9

Postby Alienoid » September 5th, 2013, 1:50 am

I for one fully support this idea.
Not because there are a buttload of "references" to Mega Man, but as an idea all on it's own, run by Keiji Inafune.
Alienoid

Postby jigglypuffgirl » September 5th, 2013, 2:52 am

I like, or better yet, love the idea already ever since i went to Mighty No 9's Kickstarter page the first few times. :D
I await for a happier future...
jigglypuffgirl

Postby Master_72 » September 9th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Mighty no. 9 has settled itself with the fans a bit too quickly in my mind. This basically means that Megaman has ended and now there are simply new series. I think people are treating this too much like a Megaman sequel when it's just a completely different. I still love the game to bits, and the concept seems amazing, but it's sad to see people forgetting and moving on from Megaman so easily.
Spoiler! :

OFFICIALLY CROWNED CHAMPION OF FORUM GAMES
"You all may play the games, but I win them"
Master_72

Postby Raging Ghost » September 10th, 2013, 11:19 am

Master_72 wrote:Mighty no. 9 has settled itself with the fans a bit too quickly in my mind. This basically means that Megaman has ended and now there are simply new series. I think people are treating this too much like a Megaman sequel when it's just a completely different. I still love the game to bits, and the concept seems amazing, but it's sad to see people forgetting and moving on from Megaman so easily.

Then again, Capcom did cancelled any upcoming Megaman games.
Raging Ghost

Postby Master_72 » September 10th, 2013, 11:52 am

Raging Ghost wrote:
Master_72 wrote:Mighty no. 9 has settled itself with the fans a bit too quickly in my mind. This basically means that Megaman has ended and now there are simply new series. I think people are treating this too much like a Megaman sequel when it's just a completely different. I still love the game to bits, and the concept seems amazing, but it's sad to see people forgetting and moving on from Megaman so easily.

Then again, Capcom did cancelled any upcoming Megaman games.

Fair enough, but no matter how many references they make, it's still not a megaman game. Its not made by Capcom, but by Keiji inafune, who isn't truly the father of megaman. IMO The fans are labeling this as the new megaman and I'm not sure what to think of it.

And come on. Who was really looking forward to megaman universe anyways?
Spoiler! :

Master_72

Postby Nymine » September 10th, 2013, 2:15 pm

*cough* Uhm, I was for one.

I'm completely stoked for Mighty No. 9 and I'll be honest with you: the minute I foind out this was a thing I immediately put myself down as a $60 Becker.

Megaman was really pivital for me, as a gamer and an artist. It, Astro Boy and Usagi Yojimbo are probably 3 things that have shaped who I am and what I try to do storywise and visually more than a lot of things(something that's really obvious in Scrapped Project). And, it's probably the 8 year old in me talking, but I kind of feel like I owe Imafune more than a few things because I grew up playing the snot out of the Megaman series. And honestly MM taught me that bright and cheery things don't necessarily mean that the subject matter has to be vapid. I feel like I'm getting off topic; megaman and Imafune mean a lot to me, mmk?

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect this to be Megaman. I expect it to be Mighty No. 9. And I JUST GOT THAT THE TWO MAIN ROBOTS ARE BECK AND CALL GODDAMN WORD PLAYS I LOVE YOU.

I'm just so so happy Mr. Imafune is trying to make a game without a big company backing him.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby Master_72 » September 10th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Huh, pretty deep, and I agree with you on most accounts. Back in the day, playing on NES despite the n64 already having been out for a little over a year was kind of humiliating for me, but out of all the franchises I played, I have to say Megaman 1-6 were my favorites. The storyline was awesome, the stages were creative, and the difficulty kept me coming back.

This is why I feel Mighty No. 9 might backfire. Now we have to keep in context this is Keiji Inafune's company and his only. Capcom can't screw him up anymore unless he was the reason behind their failures in the first place, *Cough* Which I doubt *cough*. What I'm implying here is that Mighty 9 has some pretty big shoes to fill if they're going to appease all the old and new Megaman fans out there who have impatiently waited 3 years for Something.

I'm still buying the game though. I just don't think it's going to fill out the Megaman-shaped cavity that's in my heart....
But Super smash bros Universe'll pretty much do the trick.
Spoiler! :

Master_72

Postby Seven Rain » September 10th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Master_72 wrote:Keiji inafune, who isn't truly the father of megaman.

Spoiler! :
So few people realize this. I like you.

Master_72 wrote:And come on. Who was really looking forward to megaman universe anyways?

I found it interesting, but eh. I wasn't super hyped once I realized it was mostly just OG Mega stuff.
I don't have a ton of interest in the IP outside of already-released games until Capcom lets Inti Creates make more stuff and/or bust out a new title in the X, Zero or XZ series. Universe made me go "Interesting..." but if Capcom announced MMX9 developed by Inti Creates, I'd jump out of my seat and dance.

Spoiler! :
Anywho I want to keep quiet about Mighty No. 9, I've ranted about Keiji in the past enough. Just felt like replying to that particular post.
Seven Rain

Postby Master_72 » September 10th, 2013, 3:01 pm

So few people realize this. I like you.

I guess it might be because I'm such a freak over Megaman. Keiji does earn my respect, but you must know what the smith makes before placing your order.

As for myself, I'd be pretty psyched should there be a Wily wars 2 release on the E-shop. But unfortunately at this point Capcom has fallen down so low that the chances are pretty slim that they could make a comeback. Into creates could take a stab at it. But it wouldn't be the same.
Spoiler! :

Master_72

Return to Video Games