What Happened to the Smackjeeves Awards?

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

What Happened to the Smackjeeves Awards?

Postby DaBrokor » March 7th, 2015, 4:26 pm

I'm not sure if we've all been wondering this or not, but I am, so that makes no difference.
What ever really happened to the Smackjeeves awards? They've skipped, like, 2 years already. I'm just asking because I thought it was an awesome idea and probably missed it when someone said something (if anything) happened to it. If you do know, please tell me, I'd appreciate getting this off my chest for good.
Its pronounced BRAH-kor, get it right,
Just wanted to say, ain't looking for a fight
DaBrokor

Re: What Happened to the Smackjeeves Awards?

Postby eishiya » March 7th, 2015, 7:13 pm

The Awards are run by volunteers, and on years that there aren't (enough) people who can and want to do it, it doesn't happen. It's a lot more work than it looks, and takes a significant time commitment that most people can't make. In addition to that, it's important to have someone to coordinate everyone else, and most years, no one emerges who wants to and is able to lead (since it's even more work).
eishiya

Postby Falconer » March 7th, 2015, 8:08 pm

One year was a big fiasco with people claiming it was unfair, then the following awards year completely redid the system with a strong focus on making it as fair as possible...and people were still unhappy. Can't please anyone. I kind of feel like that may be a contributor to people not wanting to do it, especially since the smackjeevers most likely to volunteer were involved in those past years. It is a TON of work--reading all the nominees to pick out the best ones alone is a ton of work, not to mention organizing the voting system, announcements, etc. Sometimes people who initially volunteered have life stuff happen that hinders their ability to help all the way to the finish. Hell, the person who got most riled up about starting it up again disappeared off the face of the earth soon after we started actually planning. (Assuming I remember right...it's been a while.)

If we the process was more efficient--or more people volunteered so less individuals were burdened with most of the work--then it would probably run a lot smoother and happen more regularly.
Falconer

Postby mitchellbravo » March 8th, 2015, 2:35 pm

eishiya & Falconer pretty much hit the nail on the head.

eishiya wrote: it's important to have someone to coordinate everyone else, and most tears, no one emerges who wants to and is able to lead (since it's even more work).

An oddly appropriate typo :lol:

Falconer wrote:Hell, the person who got most riled up about starting it up again disappeared off the face of the earth soon after we started actually planning. (Assuming I remember right...it's been a while.)

They followed through with a good amount of the project, but by the end it was mostly just me and you (and mostly you). And I don't think they've been around since then.

Unless I have them confused with a different user. I no longer have any of the PMs the group exchanged so I can't say for sure.

It's a shame, as it was a fun idea. But from the perspective of someone who worked on it, it was way too much work for no reward. Basically a huge time-sink where we had people (who hadn't signed up to work on the project, essentially just passers-by) who had no idea about the logistics of anything going on "under the hood" coming in and telling us they didn't like this, this, or that, without offering up any alternative suggestions, OR suggesting things people had bitched about in previous years, OR suggesting things that just plain would not work.

It's not like the Secret Santa exchange where there's a lot of preparation and organizing but things are still pretty much straightforward- Every user gives a gift, every user gets a gift, find people to take are of the folks who got scrooged, everyone oohs and aahs at the pictures, nothing seems "unfair."

Also, interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the comics that wound up winning or close to it ended up leaving Smackjeeves or ceasing to update soon after the awards closed. Given that the point of the awards is to bring more attention to lesser-known but high-quality comics on Smackjeeves, it seems kind of stupid to bother if none of them are even going to be there within a few months anyway. That's just my two cents on it, though. I know in years past we didn't have that problem, idk why it seemed like there was so much drama the last time.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby DaBrokor » May 22nd, 2015, 4:12 pm

So, in that case, if such a thing happened where the Smackjeeves Awards have ceased to exist, is it still fair to let those who got awards keep their awards posted? Considering that everyone knows they will never get that chance to do so as well?
I'm just saddened by the fact that the last comic the Smackjeeves Awards ever posted was that there will be more awards in the future. When you do a thing like that, jeevers who are interested continue their inspiration to work hard to at least get recognized for nomination. If the awards mysteriously closed out, they'd no longer have anything to work towards! However, being with this community for about 4 to 5 years, I've learned that most don't even try to compete, anyway.
I personally enjoyed the Smackjeeves Awards, because it worked like any other award ceremony. Be it Billboard, Oscars, or friggin' ROTC, iunno. Point is, it gives most people a strive, and it was a great way to draw Smackjeeves together for a common interest. It kind of gave Smackjeeves more of a meaning. Sure, it might cause obsessions and generate reports of overwork, but at the end of the day, you were proud of what you did, whether or not you were nominated.
If there was a way to lessen the stress and struggle to put together the annual awards, I'd totally get in on that discussion. I sure do miss it.
Its pronounced BRAH-kor, get it right,
Just wanted to say, ain't looking for a fight
DaBrokor

Postby eishiya » May 22nd, 2015, 5:01 pm

I think it's fair to let people keep their trophies. They have the award year on them signifying that those comics were chosen for their quality during that year (or years), so it's not like they have some sort of for-all-time value xP

You're welcome to start up a new interest-gauging thread in General Discussion. I doubt there are many people against having the Smackies at all, it's just that the negative feedback in previous years burned a lot of people out and most newcomers don't have the confidence to take on that project, so no one has come forward to get them going again.
I'd recommend reading through the old feedback threads though, so that you know what has already been covered. A lot of the stress-causing issues were due to the fundamental design of the Smackies, so if they're to return and not be a mind-numbing mess, they'd probably have to be redesigned entirely, keeping only the name and trophy style.
eishiya

Return to The Business of Comics