The Next Generation of Butlers Is Here

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

The Next Generation of Butlers Is Here

Postby Admin » December 24th, 2016, 8:50 pm

Bad news everyone! It appears as though someone has hacked into Smack Jeeves and completely redesigned it! (Well, almost completely).

I know. You miss the old design. I do too. But this one's kinda alright, isn't it? Well, it will have to do.

Still a few bits to finish up here and there, but I wanted to get this out by Christmas since my original goal to launch was September.

Feel free to post your impressions / bug reports / etc.

Full speed ahead!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Next Generation of Butlers Is Here

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » December 24th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Woah! I gotta hang around here for a while and get used to this!
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby eishiya » December 24th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Yay! It'll take a while to get used to, but it looks nice.

Bug:
User profiles show blank pages.

Complaints:
1. This was true of the old layout, but I hoped it would get fixed with the new one. The View Site and View Profile links in comic management open in a new tab every time. Can they please be normal links? Browsers have provided easy ways to open links in new tabs for years, there's no need for sites to do that anymore.
2. I liked the colour-coding of the update times that the old layout had. It's all grey now, so it's hard to tell at a glance.
3. The "upload to cloud" icon doesn't seem appropriate as the icon to go to webcomic management. Also I feel like it should go to the management page, not the comic management page specifically. I, at least, need the former more often than the latter, and both have the link to upload a new page.

Any plans to extend the update to comic sites as well? In particular, an AJAX/inline comment box?
eishiya

Postby o-CamTro-o » December 24th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Neat site re-design! But I wondering how to set a date for the comic?
o-CamTro-o

Postby UrbanMysticDee » December 24th, 2016, 9:49 pm

I like it a lot. Usually when things change they suck, but this is one of the few times a change is really cool.
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby meowchi75 » December 24th, 2016, 9:52 pm

I really like this layout!
meowchi75

Postby Tuxie » December 24th, 2016, 10:06 pm

The new redesign is a nice start but honestly it is very clunky.
To start off with having a huge icon for each comic is nice. You get to see the cover art better than a 50x150 pixel box, but at the same time you cant easily find out what comic just updated on your favorite webcoimic area (on your own profile). you have to go a round about way of pressing my favorites then see all. Honestly I think when they updated last should be under the comic its self instead of how often it updates. It also does not show the true amount of 'fans' it shows readers but if you go in to the statistics of your webcomic it only then shows you the true amount of people that 'favorited' your comic. I guess this isn't really that much of an issue, its nice to see a rounded number of people that visit your webcomic on average, but at the same time it seems kinda odd in a way? These are my only peeves about the new layout but I have a few suggestions!

First it would be great to edit your own user or webcomic profile, give it a background, give it a whole new layout, ect, like you can do when you edit the page layout in your webcomic.
Another is to possibly fix the comment system to make the site more community friendly, have a area on user profiles to leave comments on, or have nested comments that you don't have to do @username, rather you could have a reply button.
Lastly, It would be nice to choose what comics to promote under your own comic, I understand the need to have doner comics be featured with out consent next to your webcomic (or adds to keep the site running), but I feel like we should be able to choose other comics to affiliate with our own to say, "hey check this one out too!" I feel like that would also strengthen the community!

Honestly I think its a great start but is again still alittle too clunky and non-user friendly. I love this site and dont want to move to another at all I just want this site to be the best it could be!
Tuxie

Postby Falconer » December 24th, 2016, 10:34 pm

I absolutely love how much more artwork is featured. They look like they actually comics are listed! ;) Nice work, Admin! 8-)
Falconer

Postby Soft Dorito » December 24th, 2016, 11:08 pm

It looks great! But is the "group photo" thing still happening?
My Sketch Thead! :D
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Soft Dorito

Postby aDewil » December 24th, 2016, 11:20 pm

only feature what i wish is to my favorite webcomics page is ALL, HIATUS and COMPLETED/ENDED before EDIT button if possible.
those options will help when you large colletion webcomics to read.
otherwise really good updates in here smack jeeves.
aDewil

Postby Seven Rain » December 24th, 2016, 11:34 pm

Lookin' goooood!
Sonic-ock wrote:
Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Wheres the swear jar.

Look, I'll say whatever the HECK I want whenever I dingle DARN well please!
Seven Rain

Postby TheFunTrain » December 25th, 2016, 12:35 am

"I don't remember clicking on Tapasti-HOLY SMOKE THE FUTURE IS NOW"

Managed to use my sketches to bash out an interim cover image so I wouldn't be hidden by the sparkly new update. All these new features and layouts will take some getting acquainted with, but the new tag system is nice and it all looks great. This is the best Christmas gift of the season!

Thanks Admin!
TheFunTrain

Postby Oly-RRR » December 25th, 2016, 12:36 am

I love this, it's quite a Christmas present for the community!! Thanks, Admin! :)

Not a bug or a glitch, just a feeling I guess: the HIATUS status is making me feel worse than the greying update counter did :? I mean, fair enough and it might push me to update more regularly- er, less sporadically but it makes my heart sink a bit.

But that aside, this is sooo cooool :mrgreen:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Tehpikachu » December 25th, 2016, 12:47 am

It'll take getting used to, but I like it! My only thing is I miss the hover-over preview for comics.
Tehpikachu

Postby midgart » December 25th, 2016, 1:07 am

Everything is looking nice, but I wish "fan" counts were still publicly viewable :/ which they don't seem to be right now, unless I'm missing it somewhere!
midgart

Next

Return to News