Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Postby eishiya » June 16th, 2018, 10:56 am

Some artists are very consistent, and the first pages of their comics look the same as the 300th pages. Most of us... are not. Even if you took the time to figure out your characters before they appeared in your comic, they probably look different now than how they did at first, as you keep improving and streamlining. And if you didn't, oh boy!

This is a thread to celebrate how far we and our comic characters (and any other recurring elements in our comics) have come! Share some old and new art.

Some thread-specific rules:
  • Although the focus here is comics, if you have some characters who have evolved over the course of many non-comic drawings, you can post them too!
  • Any NSFW images should be labelled and put in [spoiler] tags.
  • Please try to keep embedded images within 700x700px. The forum-wide limit is 1200x1200, but smaller images load faster and don't stretch the page as much.
  • Please don't advertise or link to your comic here. You can have a link in your signature, but let's keep this thread about art evolution, not promotion!

I'll start this off with Roy from my current comic, the first time I ever drew his face versus a recent page:
He's become an anime! His eyes got bigger, he's seen some things! Over the course of my previous comic, everyone's eyes got bigger too, and then they "reset" by the time I started this comic. I don't know why that happens.
His hair has changed quite a bit. Most of those changes (including a lot of growth!) happened over the course of the first chapter as I figured out his design. Since then, his hair has grown more, but that's been mostly intentional. His eyebrows grew over the course of a few chapters too. At one point they were caterpillars, I've reigned them in a little bit since.

I'll post some other characters later, I don't want to hog the thread. Show me yours!
eishiya

Re: Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Postby JoKeR » June 16th, 2018, 11:01 am

I like this thread.
Ok ...I'll find some pictures I made for a twitter meme.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby kayotics » June 16th, 2018, 12:19 pm

I'll start with Robert Wagonthorpe, since a few of my other comic characters are actually much older and may take a little more digging.

Robert and his introduction on page 1 vs. Robert on page 25 (which is probably the clearest shot that also shows his teeth before he's not in the chapter anymore).

He definitely gets way more streamlined:
-his cheeks rounder
-his teeth are a little less terrible (but that's more because I drew them simpler rather than cleaning them up)
-his collar becomes cleaner
-his eyes are a bit bigger

Also of note, my style is a little stronger and lines are bolder, which is probably because I had done 25 pages at this point.
kayotics

Postby Oly-RRR » June 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Aaaah this is the thread to help with a lot of my daft comic anxieties, thank you! And it's cool to see others grow! :mrgreen:

I'll start with Nutter because he was one of the two characters the whole idea started with.

The first drawing is one of the first pictures of Nutter (might be the first one). I had this idea that he should be big/tall to the point of giving off an uncomfortable vibe and I used to joke how he's mostly a "Sam Tyler stretched in Photoshop and acting like Gene Hunt" (...only LoM fans are laughing :? ) but looking back I was really bad at drawing varied body types back in 2012 so he's not even looking that tall. I got slightly better at it during the course of the comic (the high five is from the first page of the old version of the comic) but I still had no idea how uhhh draw anyone who's not average height/weight back then.

The newer Nutter makes more sense because he's still taller than average but he's also heavier and wearier and hopefully gives off a more uncomfortable vibe because of all that combined together. He was always supposed to be a lanky kid who started off in bad conditions but put slightly more muscle and intimation techniques on him as he joined the force.

Bonus tiny images of Nutter next to weedy people back in 2013 and now. :) Putting all this together I was surprised to see that he started off mostly in dull greys, had a phase of bright turtlenecks and came back to even duller greys again. And I have no idea why his hair always looked bleached but look, it's a regular colour and hairier now! :?

Ehehe, I still have a bunch of other characters to post later, and more of them are going to show up in the comic soonish. This should be fun! 8-)

eishiya wrote: Over the course of my previous comic, everyone's eyes got bigger too, and then they "reset" by the time I started this comic.

In Roy's case it's because it's been established that he's a precious cinnamon roll and as close to a cross between a human and a puppy as it gets.
Spoiler! :
Maybe closer than we thought in the light of the newest chapter??? :shock:

Also the bags under his eyes, I think they got bigger too but that makes total sense, he's been through some hard times.

kayotics wrote:-his teeth are a little less terrible (but that's more because I drew them simpler rather than cleaning them up)

This makes me wish I had more panels with Nutter's mouth open because he has similarly terrible teeth and I'm pretty sure they weren't consistent over the years either. :lol:
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby Lutztoons » June 16th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Thank you for this! Great thread, Eishiya.

Here is how Rhodes looked in an old comic I did for college in 2014.

And how he appears today...
ImageImage

He's gotten rounder and chubbier, and his hair has increased in length by about a foot and a half, which he now wears in a loose braid. I've gotten much better at rendering red hair and freckles. I used to be terrible at them because I didn't know how to distribute them in a way that looked natural and they ended up looking like a skin disease. I also had no idea how to draw overweight people. He used to be a completely stereotypical beatnik character who said things like "You got it all together, Daddy-o? Because I think it's high time we split out of this sad, square scene." Good lord, how embarrassing. Nowadays, he's a nerd who loves nature, video games, and woodworking.

Here's how Dempsey looked in that same crappy comic.

(hahahah, why did I draw him flipping his wrist? HOW DO I ANATOMY? HOW DO COLOR?!?!?!?!)

Today:

He used to have much shorter hair before I decided to give him a ponytail that went clear down to his butt. (I don't know what my deal is with long-haired male characters.) He was always a dork, but now he's even MORE of one. His glasses have increased in size to the point where they're basically goggles. His lips and buckteeth have also gotten bigger. He's also gotten some moles on various parts of his body, including his neck. That Cindy Crawford beauty mark has been there ever since I created him, though.
I always drew him wearing that red Hawaiian shirt. He still wears Hawaiian-type shirts with a collar (and always tucked in because HE'S A NERD) but now his clothes are much more varied. He has a goofy dinosaur t-shirt in the first chapter of the comic.

Hoooo boy, Gideon...I made him up when I was 13, but he started morphing into his current form a couple years later. Here's an old drawing of him I did in 2009 when I was 15.
vs. how he appears in the comic...
He's always been a weird recluse who's obsessed with Mac and Cheese and wears oddly formal attire that sharply clashes with his hair. He's never going to get rid of that vest. I've given him some gray hair to emphasize the fact that he's pushing 40. I also gave him a long upper lip and a pouty lower one. He still has those heavy eyebrows and dark eye circles, though. He doesn't sleep very well. Also, I increased his height from 5'10 to 6'11". I wanted him to be so freakishly tall that he makes people nervous. I heavily emphasized his horns because you could barely see them in my old works. His hair has gotten much more definition--I used to simply draw it as a cloud of scribbles.
He's extremely intelligent, but his massive anxiety pushes him to do embarrassing things that he will cringe about later. (And for the record, that creepy doll is going to be appearing in the comic, too.)

I h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶i̶l̶e̶r̶s̶.̶
I'm a dirty rotten liar. It's not going to be too spoilery if I post about him, so I'll go ahead and do that later. I can't keep this jackass to myself!

Edit to avoid doubleposting:

Kayotics wrote:his teeth are a little less terrible (but that's more because I drew them simpler rather than cleaning them up)

Really bad teeth are so much fun to draw! :mrgreen: I like how you streamlined their design without making them perfect.

Eishiya wrote:His eyebrows grew over the course of a few chapters too. At one point they were caterpillars, I've reigned them in a little bit since.

He looks so good with the big eyebrows! The shagginess makes him look really frazzled and worn-out, but expressive. The eyebrows I draw continuously get bigger, as well.

Oly-RRR wrote:The newer Nutter makes more sense because he's still taller than average but he's also heavier and wearier and hopefully gives off a more uncomfortable vibe because of all that combined together. He was always supposed to be a lanky kid who started off in bad conditions but put slightly more muscle and intimation techniques on him as he joined the force.

He does come off that way! Something about him makes me nervous, which is a good thing in the context of your comic. When I look at him, I imagine that he numbers around really slowly but deliberately in a way that's intimidating. He's also gotten a lot more worn-out looking, which makes sense because he's a cop and he's seen some Bad Shit.
Lutztoons

Postby Oly-RRR » June 16th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Uhhh, i dunno if we're supposed to post in turns like in Forum Games or it's more of a talky thread like Your Day in Webcomics? I just felt like being chatty and replying but anyone finds this out of line lemme know! :)

Lutztoons wrote:I also had no idea how to draw overweight people.

I was the saaame! This is where I kinda envy the younger generation of artists - these days you can find guides/tutorials on drawing different body shapes (along with encouragement that it's totally okay) within the first 15 minutes of browsing tumblr (or most art communities, really), back when I was a wee one dabbling in cartoons it was more like "here's how you draw manly dudes, here's how you draw geeky dweebs, here's how you draw woomanly wimmin with tiddies, why would you even want to draw anyone else". And yeah, I know there's life drawing classes and all that I think when it comes to cartoons worrying about "stepping out of line" with body shapes was more due to toxic attitudes than anything else.

Lutztoons wrote:I've gotten much better at rendering red hair and freckles.

Everyone drawing freckles on OCs has so much patience. <3 That and large/detailed tattoos.

PS. I still think that Rhodes panel with him angrily tapping at the controller is a very relatable reaction image. :lol:

Lutztoons wrote:I don't know what my deal is with long-haired male characters.

I used to have so many long-haired male characters! ...and then I started writing about police. :P

Lutztoons wrote:And for the record, that creepy doll is going to be appearing in the comic, too.

Bahaha, one more thing to look forward to.

Lutztoons wrote:He's also gotten a lot more worn-out looking, which makes sense because he's a cop and he's seen some Bad Shit.

He kinda became a cop to pull himself out of the Bad Shit he was already seeing at the time but yeah, being a cop means you occasionally get to stop Bad Shit from going on, not avoid it entirely. :(
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby Lutztoons » June 17th, 2018, 4:02 am

I don't have a problem with it being a talky thread! If people would rather have it be a turn-based thread, I will return to the mysterious realms from which I came until I have more old art to post.

Oly-RRR wrote: back when I was a wee one dabbling in cartoons it was more like "here's how you draw manly dudes, here's how you draw geeky dweebs, here's how you draw woomanly wimmin with tiddies, why would you even want to draw anyone else".

UGH, I KNOW!! I taught myself to draw using those doopy art instructional books from Watson-Guptill and Barron's and the like, and I had some that were specifically comic-oriented. EVERYONE LOOKED THE SAME. They really pushed that eight-heads-tall fantasy anatomy thing. And one of them even had an ENTIRE SECTION based on how to draw bIG titTY W0omENS because comic women have to be "sexy" and "seductive," as if there were no other option for them. And they were ALL in heels. Even the basic mock-up anatomy sketches with no clothes, they were still drawn in heels. Geugh.
A delightful excerpt for you:
You can't draw brutish women or you'll lose the attractiveness

But...but what if i find brutish women attractive??????? (I actually do, lol)
Another sooper gr8 quote:
Heavy people are often stereotyped as jolly; but in comics, they can play the villain, as well, working off the gluttonous angle.

WOW THAT'S GREAT, COMIX HAVE A WEALTH OF OPPORTUNITY FOR OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE
I learned a lot of interesting things from those types of books, but they were often littered with terrible advice that I couldn't parse out because of my age and lack of experience. Lots of misleading stuff floating around back then, especially for a young artist. Oh well, there's a lot of good reference material out there nowadays like you said and it's great to see people unafraid of making characters of different body types. :mrgreen:

Oly-RRR wrote:Everyone drawing freckles on OCs has so much patience. <3 That and large/detailed tattoos.

PS. I still think that Rhodes panel with him angrily tapping at the controller is a very relatable reaction image. :lol:

Thank you!! :mrgreen: It took a lot of practice, but they're great fun to draw now.
PPS. Thanks! Rhodes' expressions would probably make great memes. :lol:

I like how Nutter is kinda goofy-looking with the big nose and stick-out ears, but at the same time, his presence is unsettling because he's so belligerent. Look at that overhanging brow!
AND I JUST NOTICED THAT NOSEBLEED GUY IN THE BACKSEAT IN YOUR HIGH-FIVE ART, HAHAHAHA
hey guise watabout meeee???

I'd love to see more of your old art vs new art! If you have any, post it up!
(And that goes for anyone reading this thread!)
Last edited by Lutztoons on June 17th, 2018, 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lutztoons

Postby JoKeR » June 17th, 2018, 4:33 am

Here it is...

Nirrod from 2004

Nirrod from 2017

Yeah... he changed quiet a little bit ;)
The lines got smoother, His eyes got smaller but still anime big enough :mrgreen:
I pay more attention on the line weight. Or better said I have more control over it.
The panel from 2004 is made on paper with a thin felt tip pen. But as you can see it wasn't thin enough.
The new one is digital made in SAI.

Btw. This is the same shirt ...it's only a few days since the attack of the village in Book one.
I have to become faster or I can't finish this story in my lifetime. :?

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Seven Rain » June 17th, 2018, 10:54 am

This thread is rad! It's always fun/horrifying having an excuse to dig up some reaaally old WOE panels. After a decade of WOE, an overhaul half-way through, and me constantly adapting to the unorthodox tools I comic with, the changes sometimes feel massive or like they took way too long to happen, haha.

Since I went back and overhauled the first couple chapters back in 2012-2013, I've got a triple threat of Original/Remade/Current artwork and designs for the characters! Ixis is a good start, being the main protagonist! This is the same panel from Chapter 1: Wings, first in the original 2008 comic on the left and the 2012 remade version on the right:
ImageImage
My front views in the oldest version weren't nearly as bad as my profile views, but they were still pretty awful. I was one of those cliche teenaged weebs that just wanted to use "it's my artstyle!" as an excuse to not learn any fundamentals and save people some eyesores. The remade faces weren't always the hugest improvement but anatomy and stuff in general still improved somewhat.

Here are some panels from more recent pages made this year, (featuring a sickly Ixis on painkillers but shows the improvement all the same):

On to Reina, I think her changes between the original and the remake were more noticeable than Ixis, and I chose a profile view just to show how horrifying those were when I first started out. Once again the original 2008 version is on the left while the 2012 version is on the right:
ImageImage
(I don't actually recall why I switched the trim of her outfit from yellow to blue. I guess to keep it closer to her casual outfit's colors maybe?)

And of course Reina from some recent panels in 2018 pages:
Even after all these years her hairstyle is a little all over the place but I kinda blame that more on how much fun I have drawing her hair rather than any unintentional inconsistency, but maybe I'm just making excuses.
Spoiler! :
Since the older panels featured her in a silly formal gown sorta outfit with her hair up here's a comparison of her "casual" look featuring the original character bio pic and the latest one. The current bio pics are pretty new but not as new as the panels I posted, I believe the right pic is from 2016?

I wish I had deeper insight/thoughts to give on how I've improved but like most of my art and comic-making process it's primarily going with gut instincts, though with input from SJers here and there on the more objective stuff that I don't usually see myself. I hate that I took so many years to grow out of my "I don't want criticism!" phase, (and that I still have trouble taking it in large doses,) but I really appreciate the SJ community and friends that have helped me over the years!

*EDIT*
Aww man it just doesn't feel right making a post like this and omitting Ixal! It's been no secret that he's one of my personal favorite characters. (I'll spoiler this, though. My post is already pretty big!)
Spoiler! :
Naturally I'll dig up some ollld 2008 grossness and the 2012/2013 version of the same panel:
ImageImage

And a couple panels from the latest pages this year:
ImageImage

I dunno if it shows, but he's not just one of my favorites character-wise, he's always been one of my favorite characters to draw, too! He lets me unleash my inner edgelord, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby MariaCinnamonRoll » June 17th, 2018, 12:16 pm

His tears were my light pg1_20180617125555.png
Here's page 1 I didnt know how to do my style yet, but I kept the page the same because it was a milestone for me (fun fact, my comic drawing actually started last year in MARCH but I redrew the first ten pages all in different ways but I was never happy with the result) pg 1 might be the reason 5000 people read my comics first page, but only 360 stayed, and only 13 sub's.)
(955.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I've only been posting for 2 months or so,but I've been drawing my comic HTWML for 5 (starting in January) and I just started exploring more western styles because my Anime is OK, but not good enough for a comic in my opinion, and the designs of the style changed almost immediately, even though I was only drawing the protagonist for a while also My software is an android cool pad smart phone, ibis paint (random free software I found,) and my fingers, which no work as my stylus (no joke :) )
Attachments
HTWML ch.2 cover.png
Since i feel like this post will be to long if I keep on giving examples, here's the cover for chapter 2 of my book, and how I draw it to this day, there's a big difference
(655.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
His Tears Were My Light Pg 17.png
This is only seventeen pages in, and what makes this so much improvement is that I drew seven pages a week, so I've only been working about a month.
(448.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MariaCinnamonRoll

Postby Ypsilenna » June 17th, 2018, 12:28 pm

This is a very nice idea for a thread :D Recently I noticed how ancient the first chapter of my comic looks compared to the rest of it so I decided to post some screenies as well.

The first is Anshrilda. Out of all characters I think the difference shows the most.
2015 vs 2017

Luciferimus
2015/2016 vs 2018

Riamidea
2016 vs 2018

The first chapter has the most flaws (every chapter has them but it's the most visible there). When I started to draw this comic I was making the original files too small (right now the pages are scaled down to 600x900, at the beginning they were originally this size).
Other issues were more or less color related:
-I didn't know how to pick colors for linearts which sometimes caused my coloring to blend with the lines and it looked weird.
-I picked every shade by hand and every color was on a separate layer. Needless to say that it wasn't a very efficient way of drawing the comic.
-I thought that cell shading means that I can't use brushes like airbrush or apply blur to anything.
-It doesn't show anymore because I edited it at one point, but originally the speech bubbles were black without any outline. Then I realized that the entire first chapter happens at night. GENIUS.
Ypsilenna

Postby Experi » June 17th, 2018, 7:32 pm

This is a topic I always have such mixed feelings on. Like, sometimes I go back and look at my old pages and miss the more home-spun quality of them, and then other times I go back and cringe. Since I switched over to digital drawing I've been thrilled by the convenience of it, (it's sooo much easier to alter things and move them around,) but I'm not gonna lie--creating pages with graphite line work was a massive pain in the a**, but I still like the dried-out dusty atmosphere it gave the pages b/c it matched the tone of my story. Like the Texas sun had chewed them up a bit.

As for my characters, I feel like they haven't changed tooo much, but digital drawing has def had an effect on them, too. They look more, uh, I dunno, Disney-ish? Than they used to?? I'm not sure what happened. They're more doe-eyed than they used to be or something.

Kenneth in particular is looking a little more princely these days. Not sure how I feel about that. He's a jerk, and he's supposed to look like one.

And Harvey has, apparently, grown a larger chin? (I think I like him better with the chin)

Anyways. Great thread! So cool to go back and compare the old and new, and it's super neat to see how other artists talk about/react to their progress!
Experi

Postby eishiya » June 17th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Experi wrote:I still like the dried-out dusty atmosphere it gave the pages b/c it matched the tone of my story. Like the Texas sun had chewed them up a bit.

Could you perhaps use textured brushes for your digital inking? Digital inks don't have to be smooth and perfect. Finding or making the right inking brush can do wonders :F

I love how the characters seem to have gotten a bit more subtly stylised and distinct :>
eishiya

Postby Experi » June 17th, 2018, 7:51 pm

eishiya wrote:Could you perhaps use textured brushes for your digital inking? Digital inks don't have to be smooth and perfect. Finding or making the right inking brush can do wonders :F

I love how the characters seem to have gotten a bit more subtly stylised and distinct :>

Thank you! As I get used to drawing them, I think they're starting to look a little more like themselves! (lol)

I do actually have a couple textured pens that I use to replicate that graphite-look, (these images haven't had those textures laid onto them yet--I probably should have mentioned that <_<) and while those textures do help create that same tone that I loved, I feel like it's not quite the same. That's okay though. It's a different medium, so I know that it's not going to look exactly the same. Ultimately, I think I just need to keep practicing with the digital medium until I get more comfortable and start to vibe with it. One day I'll find that holy-grail brush that gives me a lightbulb moment!
Experi

Postby Glueckskeks » June 18th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Since you said non-comic characters are ok, here's one of mine.
Left is from 2013 and right is from this year.
I think that's the only time I ever drew him with pink eyes. He's always had them dark grey otherwise. Aside from me getting better at drawing some things (like shoes...), he also got a redesign because I tried to balance his colour scheme a bit better. I'm not sure I'm happy with how curly his hair looks here, but at least I figured out how to draw a curly fringe.

The picture on the left is from 2012 and one of the earliest pictures I drew of him (I think I have one that's older, but I don't have that scanned. I should go digging for that in my old art). Right is from 2017. I guess his attitude hasn't changed much even if my ability to draw faces got a bit better.

From 2015 and 2018, drawn at points in time when my squishy face curse was lifted somewhat. The one on the right was a smaller redesign that eventually turned into the design above.
Glueckskeks

Next

Return to General Discussion