A Hornet's art thread

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

A Hornet's art thread

Postby Dave Hornet » February 19th, 2019, 1:21 am

I'm creating this thread for sharing my art so that you all can share your thoughts and on what areas I can better myself
I'll start with an Alucard fan art I did
It was one of the first digital art I did
Attachments
cba450ed-789a-44a8-ad65-16d94b1d4b1d-1.png
I didn't know much about colouring last year so I mostly did flats
cba450ed-789a-44a8-ad65-16d94b1d4b1d-1.png (94.21 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Dave Hornet

Re: A Hornet's art thread

Postby K-cho » February 19th, 2019, 10:25 pm

I actually like the flat colors! Certainly if you'd like to try a different style, go for it, but there are lots of artists who use a style with mostly flat colors effectively.

One piece of critique would be that the shading on his hand looks a bit off to me? Where the light is hitting and where the shadows are changes from finger to finger. For the pointer finger (which is also bent at an angle that looks kind of unnatural, btw) it looks like the light is coming from the right side, which leaves the tip of the finger (which would be the farthest from the light source) is shaded. Then, for the middle finger it's the opposite - the tip has no shadow, but the part that's closest to the hand does. Most of the time, shadows on a hand aren't going to be super different from finger to finger.

But especially for one of your first pieces of digital art, it looks pretty good.
K-cho

Postby eishiya » February 19th, 2019, 11:46 pm

If I recall correctly, this is mostly a copy of some official Hellsing art. Copies can be great for studying, but they make it hard to give feedback. Without the original, it's hard to know which problems are your own and which come from the original. Copying can also mask problem areas, since in copying you bypass a lot of the construction and composition processes.
eishiya

Postby Dave Hornet » February 20th, 2019, 2:46 pm

eishiya wrote:If I recall correctly, this is mostly a copy of some official Hellsing art. Copies can be great for studying, but they make it hard to give feedback. Without the original, it's hard to know which problems are your own and which come from the original. Copying can also mask problem areas, since in copying you bypass a lot of the construction and composition processes.
Attachments
Hellsing.jpg
This was the original when I drew it traditionally. It's been so long I can't see what I used as reference
Hellsing.jpg (36.22 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Dave Hornet

Postby Dave Hornet » February 20th, 2019, 2:48 pm

K-cho wrote:I actually like the flat colors! Certainly if you'd like to try a different style, go for it, but there are lots of artists who use a style with mostly flat colors effectively.

One piece of critique would be that the shading on his hand looks a bit off to me? Where the light is hitting and where the shadows are changes from finger to finger. For the pointer finger (which is also bent at an angle that looks kind of unnatural, btw) it looks like the light is coming from the right side, which leaves the tip of the finger (which would be the farthest from the light source) is shaded. Then, for the middle finger it's the opposite - the tip has no shadow, but the part that's closest to the hand does. Most of the time, shadows on a hand aren't going to be super different from finger to finger.

But especially for one of your first pieces of digital art, it looks pretty good.

Aye, man, thanks, I understand what you're trying to say.My friends told me the same thing too, I don't make that mistake anymore
Dave Hornet

Postby eishiya » February 20th, 2019, 2:57 pm

It's been so long I can't see what I used as reference

There aren't all that many big official portraits of him xP. Just looking up "hellsing alucard" got me your ref pretty quickly.
eishiya

Postby Dave Hornet » February 22nd, 2019, 10:32 am

eishiya wrote:
It's been so long I can't see what I used as reference

There aren't all that many big official portraits of him xP. Just looking up "hellsing alucard" got me your ref pretty quickly.

Okay.
Dave Hornet

Return to Creative Showcase