The fear of posting my comic and why I'd like to discuss it

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

The fear of posting my comic and why I'd like to discuss it

Postby CrystalLight88 » March 25th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Hey, so I needed a place to vent, because the clip studio ask community and twitter and instagram in general haven't been very helpful, but then I remembered the smackjeeves forum was a thing. So long story short, I'm creating a comic (of course there's multiple ready to go) but I'm actually starting and focusing on one now. I'm new to digital art and really posting my art in general, but I've been on Smackjeeves since I was in high school and haven't really known where else could be the place I wanted to post.

Tapas and WEBTOON seem really great, but both of them have either panel/mobile limit with no expression of freedom, and they also have huge locks on what mature content they allow. Almost all of my comics have some art of violence, gore, supernatural horror, etc. and nobody other then SmackJeeves seems to be the right place for them. So here's the fear before I write you all a novel. Creators like lucid of Avilae and amanduur of Obnoxcious Hero-Kun have all moved on to either their own website or tapas/webtoon. Most of their reasoning is either outgrowing sj (awesome and hopefully relatable) or the worst of it REPOSTS AND ART THEFT. So Amanduur of OHK recently posted that their work had been taken and reuploaded on facebook without any permission or acknowledgement to the author and it honestly freaks me out, as some website have that security in place to not allow screenshots or image downloads, however, smackjeeves does not and scarily enough most artists work has been placed everywhere other then where they want.

I want to post my comic here (my first one isn't INSANELY explicit, but then again there's that fear, (whether my art is shit to people or not lol)

Does anyone have any advice, or opinion on this topic, I would love to hear from you and maybe get some positive feedback haha
CrystalLight88

Re: The fear of posting my comic and why I'd like to discuss

Postby Vixenkiba » March 26th, 2019, 4:29 am

I get where you're coming from regarding Tapas and Webtoon, both comic sites seem to focus on one "type" of comic only. The comic I'm working on also wouldn't be suited for those sites, which is why I love SmackJeeves so much :D

As for other places to post, you might want to give DeviantArt a try, especially if you make use of their Group function. There's loads of comic groups on DA for all types of comics, and I'm sure you'll find some readers there!

You won't be able to stop art thieves from uploading your work somewhere else. Especially when comics get more popular, the chance is high someone will re-upload your work, and it sucks... You can always ask Facebook and other sites to remove the comic when you find someone has uploaded it, and that takes time, but my guess is you'll never totally be able to avoid it.

The only advice I can give is to ALWAYS watermark your pages! Many people put the URL to the comic website underneath each page, so you could do that, or you could put something like "CrystalLight88 on SmackJeeves" underneath the pages. You could even place a disclaimer underneath the page, saying "Please do not upload anywhere else", but I reckon that won't stop thieves from doing it anyway... But at least with a watermark people will know where the comic page came from, and will be able to find your official site.

Hope that helps a bit!
Vixenkiba

Postby Ricelily » March 26th, 2019, 5:31 am

Sharing your work on the internet can be very intimidating and it's understandable. Unfortunately, there's a lot of theft and miscommunication but there's also a fair share of good out there too. In regards to Art theft, there are people on the interwebs that have your back when your work becomes recognizable or "popular". In my experience, my Steven Universe artwork got a lot of traction on DeviantArt when the show came out and it's by far my most viewed work. There was one incident where someone just reuploaded my artwork (didn't bother with removing my signature) onto their account. Suddenly, they were bombarded with reports and notified me that this person stole my work. They got shut down and that was that.

Comics are a whole different beast. I've uploaded my webcomic on Tapas, Tumblr, DA, and Smackjeeves to gain readership! I don't have a huge following on Tumblr (or in general) so it doesn't hurt to share my comic where people can read it.

If you want to start a webcomic, by all means do so. No one is stopping you from uploading other than yourself. Also, don't worry too much about skill level when it comes to your first comics. You will improve with time and the growth shows from your first page to your 20th. If you look at my webcomic, "Here in the West" the prologue and the first chapter look significantly different.

So, go on and upload your work! Share it with us :3
Ricelily

Postby MarMarTche » March 26th, 2019, 9:27 am

Ricelily wrote:If you want to start a webcomic, by all means do so. No one is stopping you from uploading other than yourself. Also, don't worry too much about skill level when it comes to your first comics. You will improve with time and the growth shows from your first page to your 20th. If you look at my webcomic, "Here in the West" the prologue and the first chapter look significantly different.

I feel this myself and have had other artist friends tell me that one of the reasons they follow certain ongoing webcomics is to follow along in both the development of the story and the artist.
As long as you have a solid story and good panel composition everything else will fall into place.
I look forward to seeing what you have for us! :D
MarMarTche

Return to General Discussion