Favorite Genre of Music?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Favorite Genre of Music?

Postby AyaneSensei » May 15th, 2009, 8:00 pm

I personally like listening to happy cheery music (though unhappy music is nice too D;) with catchy beats and dance moves, so I'd have to say K-pop is my favorite genre. Trust me, if you need a bubbly pop song, Korean's the way too go! xD

Ex: Wonder Girls - So Hot ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VBLImiFTFM )
Wonder Girls - Tell Me ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcDPr6b5o4 )
SNSD - Gee ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFt_NILe-TM )
SNSD - HaHaHa ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBRlhSlpxpE )
Kara - Pretty Girl ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiX8qTQdQR4 )
Kara - Honey ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeyuMPCo0KY )

~
So, what's your favorite genre?
Feel free to list a few good songs you like from the genre! :O
AyaneSensei

Re: Favorite Genre of Music?

Postby K I R A » May 15th, 2009, 8:06 pm

To be honest, I don't really have a "favorite". I listen to mostly stuff like grunge, rock, alternative, metal, etc.
K I R A

Postby wendy w » May 15th, 2009, 8:13 pm

At a push I'd say Punk, but that's kind of cheating I guess because there are just so many sub-genres within that.
I also listen to a lot of prog rock, metal, new age, classical, Industrial and even some folk.

I don't like dance, I don't like most modern pop music and I hate most rap, but beyond that my musical tastes are pretty varied.
wendy w

Postby Raikana » May 15th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I prefer Celtic, folk, folk-rock, international folk, oldies, and some select anime/j-pop/j-rock.

For folk/folk-rock I'm in love with Blackmore's Night. I especially like Benzai-ten and Village on the Sand.
For international folk, I tend towards Kabuki/Noh music and Taiko Drum music, but I'll try anything once.
For oldies, I like Beatles, Monkees, and a few other catchy songs. One of my very favorites is Kokomo by the Beach Boys, but I grew up hearing it.
And for anime, I only really link the songs from the shows I liked. So the OP and ED of Kyou Kara Maou, the OP from Trinity Blood, the OP from Ouran... Also the instrumental themes from Escaflowne by Yoko Kanno.
And for Celtic, I mostly listen to The Chieftains, but I do like this album from our library called Celtic Roads that has some old french/gaul celtic music. I especially like the gaul one about invading another kingdom to steal their wine, but only because the insert had the translation. If I remember right, the whole chorus was like "Wine! Wine! Wine! We're going to steal wine!" :lol:
Raikana

Postby Sai » May 15th, 2009, 8:19 pm

AyaneSensei wrote:

Oh god, this song. My sister played it once and I couldn't get it out of my head for a week, lol.

Hmmm, favorite genre? Anything but country really. I lean more toward alternative-sounding things and corny Asian R&B. House music is excellent. I'm kinda gay for powerpop, too.
Sai

Postby AyaneSensei » May 15th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Sai wrote:
AyaneSensei wrote:

Oh god, this song. My sister played it once and I couldn't get it out of my head for a week, lol.

Hmmm, favorite genre? Anything but country really. I lean more toward alternative-sounding things and corny Asian R&B. House music is excellent. I'm kinda gay for powerpop, too.

Heh, I used to be obsessed with Gee after a day of hating SNSD. D;

Country never gets any love! xD
Well, I'm not really a fan of it either...xB
AyaneSensei

Postby Gouda » May 15th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Oh, mostly entry level hipster garbage.
this is my home now.
see you around.
Gouda

Postby ninjies » May 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm

mmm...60's-80's punk, actually anything from the 60's or 70's is pretty good, i have a soft spot for classical, and besides that i mostly listen to "alternative" which means "modern rock bands i can't be bothered to categorize."
ninjies

Postby ApaFox » May 15th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Pretty much into anything ranging from good ol' fashion rock to heavy metal extreme death metal rock.

:3 I also tend to listen to soundtrack music as well.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Trauma » May 15th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Shoegaze
Post-metal
Sludge
Indie
Hardcore...

...actually just about anything...but shoegaze and post-metal is where my heart's at...
Trauma

Postby AFStaff » May 15th, 2009, 10:16 pm

I seem to just be getting progressively indie-er as I get closer to dead. I also seem to be getting into sadder music. Right now I like pretty much all forms of Alt-Rock, Folk, and Alt-Pop. The Decemberists, Death Cab, The Mountain Goats, Bright Eyes, Pink Floyd, The National, The Killers (Sorry fellow Hipsters), Sun Kil Moon, Iron and Wine, Throw Me the Statue, The Animal Collective, Freezepop, and Bloc Party have all made appearances in my listening line-up. There are others but I can't think of them off the top of my clouded head.

Universally I tend to like songs with very little energy, not quite drone-core but no where near something with a dance beat. Pretty much the closest thing I have to something with energy is "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" by The Postal Service (aka early death cab).
AFStaff

Postby paradonia » May 15th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Thanks to a "free music" thread in the old forums, my new favorite genre is folk punk. Following a link to quoteunquote records, I fell in love with my newest favorite band, Bomb the Music Industry. Hey, maybe I should start another free music thread.
paradonia

Postby Vitotamito » May 15th, 2009, 11:04 pm

I LOVE Classic Rock (pre-1980s like Clapton, Allman Bros., Guess Who, Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, etc.), 80s Hair Metal, NWOBHM, Hard Rock, Grunge, I like Metal where the singers are actually good. Like, screaming? No. Guys who sound like demon-spawn singing? No. Troll-singing? NO. If the singers have a good voice, and the music is technically challenging, I'm there. Progressive Rock is also very awesome. I've been known to listen to my share of Coldplay, Radiohead, and stuff like that as well.

I guess my "Genre" of music is: Talented Music.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Guest » May 15th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Hmm... I don't really have a type. I listen to a lot of Genres but I can never stand Hip hop, R&B, Screamo, and country.
If I had to choose I guess it woulb be Techno, Classical, Alternative and pop.

Postby avian-reader » May 15th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Bit hard to say, so I'll just decribe my Itunes playlist.

36 Rock, 17 Comedy, 15 Alternative, 12 Soundtrack, 8 World, 7 New Age, 5 Pop, 3 Classical, 1 Latin

I'm into my Dad's kind of music (60s 70s 80s). Oh the shame, lol.
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Next

Return to General Discussion