E-Mail notifications for comic comment replies went missing

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

E-Mail notifications for comic comment replies went missing

Postby WindowMaker » July 3rd, 2017, 7:22 am

I noticed for more than a week now, that I didn't get any E-Mail notifications for any reply I got on webcomic comment on Smack Jeeves. The on-site notification that appears when logged-in is working properly, but notification emails are simply missing, and they are not even in the Junk folder.

I'm using hotmail.com account, and I don't remember having problem receiving comments reply notification before, that is until the latest problem in Smack Jeeves' system on June, 18.

Since @Admin said there was a server move, does relevant DKIM, SPF, and reverse-DNS information (if any) get updated to reflect changes? I heard sometimes that Hotmail/Outlook would outright reject the mail if it came from a server that got these information wrong (and also reject if it came from unknown IP that does not have any of these information).

Please investigate.
WindowMaker

Re: E-Mail notifications for comic comment replies went miss

Postby sentiashinou » July 3rd, 2017, 9:56 am

Not sure if this is useful or not, but this happened to me as well. I wondered if it was a problem with my email account, so I tried switching to a Gmail address. I observed two things:

1. I started receiving emails again, so it sounds like OP is right about this being specific to Hotmail.
2. I used to always get a "this page doesn't exist" when clicking on the link in news update notification emails. I never experienced this problem with comment notifications. I've only gotten one news update since making the switch, but that link worked.

Admin, it might be worth playing around with a Hotmail account to explore issues like these, if you haven't already.
sentiashinou

Postby WindowMaker » August 8th, 2017, 3:06 am

The reply notification E-mails now beginning to reach my Hotmail/Outlook mailbox again starting from Jul, 26; and still working so far. So this issue could now be considered as fixed.
WindowMaker

Postby Admin » August 8th, 2017, 5:58 pm

I wouldn't necessarily consider it resolved yet, but I've done about as much as I know how to do for the time being. The reality is that Hotmail has just been unfairly blocking our emails with no reliable way to appeal. Hoping for the best, though. Thanks for the update.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Bugs & Glitches