Trend Micro is listing my SmackJeeves comic as malicious.

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Trend Micro is listing my SmackJeeves comic as malicious.

Postby droakir » November 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Hey,

One of my readers contacted me this morning to let me know that my comic (which is hosted on SmackJeeves via premium subscription) is now listed as a potentially malicious site and that they're warned not to visit it. I have attached the screenshot they sent me.

Is there something going on here?

Regards,

Nathan Rackley
Attachments
2019-11-05.png
Screenshot sent from reader.
(163.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
droakir

Re: Trend Micro is listing my SmackJeeves comic as malicious

Postby eishiya » November 5th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Do you know if it's just your comic listed as potentially malicious, or are many SJ comics listed as such?

Smack Jeeves has 3rd party ads and sometimes malicious ads sneak in, causing random comic sites or even the entire domain to be flagged as malicious. If you got your Premium subscription fairly recently, it's possible it got a bad ad and was flagged shortly before you got premium (which prevents ads from being displayed on your site at all).

SJ also gets some spam/scam bots, and their presence on the site could get the whole site flagged as well, since they link to actual malicious sites :/

Another possibility if 3rd party scripts or images you may have put on the site, if they're hosted on a flagged domain or resemble malicious data, they could get your site flagged. It looks like the only 3rd party stuff on your comic site are the ranking site images, which should be alright (one way to check is see if the sites they link to are flagged as malicious as well).

Lastly, the least likely possibility: perhaps your custom domain was flagged as malicious before you obtained it.

If you have no malicious 3rd party stuff on your site and you have a premium subscription (=no ads), your site should be safe for people to browse and the flagging is most likely a false positive.
eishiya

Re: Trend Micro is listing my SmackJeeves comic as malicious

Postby droakir » November 5th, 2019, 1:12 pm

I do not know if other SJ comics are listed as malicious. I only know that my reader reported that mine was, and send me the Trend Micro screenshot.

My comic has only ever been Premium. I purchased the SJ premium account when I created my comic and purchased my domain name and linked it after that.

The only third party content is the ranking images. That's the only modification I've made to the base site so far.

I'll look into the other things as well. Has anyone else run into issues?
droakir

Return to Bugs & Glitches