RSS titles have weird characters

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

RSS titles have weird characters

Postby eishiya » April 12th, 2017, 1:59 pm

When I view the RSS feed for my comic in Firefox, the string "Comic » " appaears before the actual page title. I'm guessing it's not meant to look like that.

On a related note, why not just serve the comic page title without a prefix? "Comic" as a prefix for updates only makes sense for gag-a-day strips.
And hardly on-topic: Do RSS loads count as page views?
eishiya

Re: RSS titles have weird characters

Postby WindowMaker » April 25th, 2017, 12:31 am

This problem started around a month ago; and it has a nasty side-effect of messing up read/unread status of ALL SmackJeeves-based feeds in my newsreader (around 850 of them); which I will have to re-read and fix all of these by hand.

Note (for the record): Normally SmackJeeves-based RSS feeds have an entry title "Comic » Title" (or "News » Title"). After the problem started, it changed into a weird "Comic » Title" (and "News » Title").

I have briefly looked at each feed's source code, tested with few newsreader and browsers (RSSOwl/2.2.1, Opera/11.64, and Pale Moon/25.5.0): all of them show the same anomaly.

For example, an RSS feed from The Angel with Black Wings...

Under RSSOwl/2.2.1 Newsreader:

Under Opera/11.64 Browser:

Exerpt from feed's RSS source code:
Code: Select all
<item>
<title>Comic » Chapter 08 Page 26</title>
<link>http://tabw.smackjeeves.com/comics/2418168/chapter-08-page-26/</link>
<guid isPermaLink="true">http://tabw.smackjeeves.com/comics/2418168/chapter-08-page-26/</guid>
<description>Added 24 Hours Ago&lt;br /&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://tabw.smackjeeves.com/comics/2418168/chapter-08-page-26/&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;//www.smackjeeves.com/thumbnail.php?id=2418168&quot; /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;</description>
<pubDate>Mon, 24 Apr 2017 05:12:13 GMT</pubDate>
</item>

One would see that `Â` appeared in each `<title>` tag in RSS's source code, which indicates that it is a server-side problem.

Please investigate and fix.
WindowMaker

Return to Bugs & Glitches