Phishing virus?

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Phishing virus?

Postby Littledc » July 28th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Whenever I open "my favorites" in a window, almost half of the time AVAST notifies me of a phishing virus trying to get into my pc. An image of it:
https://ibb.co/kyruUT

Sorry in advance if this isn't where I should have posted it, but I didn't know where else to ask about this.

Im not sure what exactly is causing this, all I know is that its whenever I open SJ. It might not be a serious issue for me specifically, but I thought I might want to let others know of it or see if there is some kind of solution.
Littledc

Re: Phishing virus?

Postby eishiya » July 28th, 2018, 10:55 pm

It's probably a shady ad that snuck into the ad system that SJ uses. There's a sticky thread for reporting such ads here, if you want I can move this post into that thread.
eishiya

Postby Littledc » July 28th, 2018, 11:54 pm

If you want to move it, Im ok with it. thanks for telling me though, so google ads can install viruses on your pc without you clicking on it or anything?

EDIT- ok, just got it again, and looked at the ad on the screen, but when the same ad poped up again, it didnt give me the warning, which is odd? It must be the ad system but it just feels off, because I havent had this happen to me at all until today. (also, it happened with a different ad, so its not particularly one ad but something is off)
Littledc

Postby eishiya » July 29th, 2018, 7:10 am

"Phishing" is a type of ad (or email, or website, etc) that pretends to be something from a trustworthy site and tricks you into giving them your sensitive information. It's not a virus and nothing was installed on your computer. Some anti-malware programs, such as yours, block them just to be safe, even though they're not in themselves harmful to your computer.
If you could get screenshots of the offending ad(s) and post them in the thread I linked, that would be helpful to Admin so that he can get rid of them.
eishiya

Postby Littledc » July 30th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I would report the ad, problem is that I cant see the ad, and I believe that since my Antivirus prevents it from being opened, it closes the ad automatically and another loads in its place.
Littledc

Return to Bugs & Glitches