Can't modify the "Comic" page part of my templet!

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Can't modify the "Comic" page part of my templet!

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 10th, 2010, 6:05 am

For some reason, SmackJeeves won't let me change the code for the "Comic" page part of my templet. I've already created a custom templet for myself, and I'm trying to change the comic page part, but it won't load my new code. After I click "submit" it just loads forever and ever, and then I get an error saying it can't load the page. I'm so confused, because it keeps letting me change the codes for all the other parts of my site's design like the news and comic archive, menu, and overall layout.

Here's the page loading error that I keep getting:
"Safari can’t open the page “http://www.smackjeeves.com/managecomic.php?id=70629&mode=appearance&tpl=comic” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding."

I'm using http://www.smackjeeves.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=241's basic codes to start off with before I start editing and adding everything I want. Is http://www.smackjeeves.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=241's code for the comic page the problem or is there something more to this?

HELP! ;_;
Murasaki-Mary

Re: Can't modify the "Comic" page part of my templet!

Postby Mr Aids » January 10th, 2010, 6:34 am

Have you tried using a different browser?
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 10th, 2010, 6:56 am

Mr Aids wrote:Have you tried using a different browser?

Yes. I've used both Safari and FireFox. I have no other browsers at the moment, but both browsers just can't seem to load the simple code I'm trying to add. :cry:
Murasaki-Mary

Postby Mr Aids » January 10th, 2010, 7:16 am

Perhaps there is something in the code that is causing the problem. Try submitting a blank page of code and if there is still an error, this will be moved to Bugs and Glitches.
kevansevans wrote:

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 10th, 2010, 7:47 am

I tried submitting it blank without code, and I still got the long load with the eventual loading error:

"Safari can’t open the page “http://www.smackjeeves.com/managecomic.php?id=70629&mode=appearance&tpl=comic” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding."

It's either a bug or a glitch as you say, or maybe I should try a more pc friendly browser like Explorer tomorrow. Maybe It'll work. Or maybe it won't. :P
Murasaki-Mary

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 14th, 2010, 5:38 am

Okay! So, for two days in a row now, I haven't been able to upload any changes to my Overall Layout page. What's going on? Somebody, please help me. D=

EDIT: Also, I can still modify all of the other pages besides the Overall Layout and Comic pages. What is up with this glitch? O_o Is it going to spread to my other pages and not allow me to edit them too?
Last edited by Murasaki-Mary on January 14th, 2010, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murasaki-Mary

Postby Mr Aids » January 14th, 2010, 5:48 am

Alright, I think it's time we moved this to Bugs and Glitches, since you can't seem to resolve the issue. Hopefully Admin can figure out what's up.
kevansevans wrote:

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 14th, 2010, 5:51 am

Mr Aids wrote:Alright, I think it's time we moved this to Bugs and Glitches, since you can't seem to resolve the issue. Hopefully Admin can figure out what's up.

Thank you. I greatly appreciate it. <3 I hope it get's resolved somehow. :)
Murasaki-Mary

Postby Admin » January 14th, 2010, 11:16 am

Page is loading fine for me. Still not working for you?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 14th, 2010, 2:32 pm

No. I still can't edit and save changes to those pages' code right now in the "Apperance" section of my Webcomic Management. I tried to do my edits again in both Safari and FireFox. I have no other browsers, but those are really common browsers that should work just fine. Here's the error that firefox gave me:

"The connection has timed out
The server at www.smackjeeves.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

Also, here's some info on my Mac:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Version: 10.5.8
Processor Speed: 2 GHz

It's a very common, healthy, and pretty up to date Mac. Since I have 2GHz computer processing speed and high speed internet from campus, I don't think it's that my computer or my internet connecion that can't load these pages fast enough, especially since it's only certain pages that won't load. Maybe there is a server error on SmackJeeves' side of things?

Also, I'm creating my templet from scratch. Though, I have to completely over write one of the current pre-made templets that SmackJeeves provides. Could the particular templet I'm currently trying to overwrite be causing this? I know that's far fetched, but I just thought I'd ask.
Murasaki-Mary

Postby trenton_dawn » January 14th, 2010, 3:43 pm

I tried messing with it a bunch of different ways, but it always worked for me. Very strange.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 14th, 2010, 11:14 pm

trenton_dawn wrote:I tried messing with it a bunch of different ways, but it always worked for me. Very strange.

On my account or your account? If it was on my account, then maybe something is wrong with my browsers or computer, but they are all prefectly normal. So, I just don't understand how they could be causing these problems.

Anyway, just tried to modify my Overall Layout and Comic pages' code again, but it's still the same problem. The new code I submit just won't go through the server. :(
Murasaki-Mary

Postby trenton_dawn » January 15th, 2010, 3:26 am

I don't have access to your account, so I wouldn't be able to test that, but, yeah, I've never heard of any kind of browser or computer problem which would cause an error this specific. At first glance it sounds like a server-side problem, but since no one else seems to be affected, frankly, I'm stumped.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 15th, 2010, 4:31 am

trenton_dawn wrote:Since no one else seems to be affected, frankly, I'm stumped.

Me too, but thanks for looking in to it through your account. :)

New ideas:

1. Did I run out of bandwidth or something? Before I lost all of my code from the layout I was working on, I'd view my site to see if the code showed up properly. Though, I don't think that has made me run out of bandwidth for the month.
2. Maybe if I deleted all of my browser's cookies things would get better? Though, I really doubt that would help and I'd prefer not to do it.

If this problem can't be resolved, I could just create a new account.
Murasaki-Mary

Postby Murasaki-Mary » January 21st, 2010, 3:31 pm

It's been a week with no reply. I realize that the mods and admin are probably very busy, but I would like to know if you guys are still working on this and if you've found anything.

Otherwise, I'm going to try to make a new account, and see if it helps resolve this problem.
Murasaki-Mary

Next

Return to Bugs & Glitches