Problematic Advertisements - Report them here

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Problematic Advertisements - Report them here

Postby Admin » May 13th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Are ads redirecting to other sites? Popping up? Displaying offensive content? Report these issues here.

When posting, please provide screen shots of the offending ads. If you have the technical prowess, it would be extremely helpful if you could dig as deep into the ad code as you can to find the root-level source of the ads.
Admin
Site Admin

ULTRA XS AD IS TOO LARGE!

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2009, 6:24 pm

There is a GIANT Ultra XS ad at the top of every one of my comic pages. It's so big that readers will have to scroll down a whole page JUST to get to my comic. I don't mind advertisements here and there but something that would take up a whole printer page is ridiculous.

http://cainandunable.smackjeeves.com/co ... /page-165/

Re: Problematic Advertisements - Report them here

Postby Admin » November 16th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Looks like something happened to xs.to, the image host that the original designer of that template used to host the images.

Simply put - we need new images to replace the old ones, which I will host locally this time around. I'll get to it ASAP, but if anyone would be willing to create the replacement images, it would be much appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Ad under Author’s Comment

Postby kahitanostudios » January 23rd, 2010, 7:32 pm

On a page, under Author’s comment, is a comment by the user Advertisement. It disappears when I’m logged in therefore I couldn’t directly delete it. Its message also changes occasionally as you view the page.

I'm sorry if the image links are broken. Please check the page link instead. The only one I’ve spotted so far is here:

http://kazanato.smackjeeves.com/comics/472855/to-fans/

I’m still to check if there are more in the site. I hope you could help me on this one. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

*after checking random pages in our site, I think all of them have it. I also see it on some other sites. Is this a normal promotion? Or is it a virus or spam?
Last edited by SuperBiasedMan on January 23rd, 2010, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed images
kahitanostudios

Postby SuperBiasedMan » January 23rd, 2010, 8:18 pm

I noticed the same thing as kahitanostudios on my comic, but I thought at first that it was kind of meant to be there, as in it was another ad, just with text instead.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2010, 12:14 am

I noticed this too! ; ^ ;

Unlike kahitanostudios' site layout, however, my author comments section of the website does not have the author's name on the author comments section, so it looks like the advertisement is part of my own author comments if and only if you're not logged on Dx

I understand you get advertisement on your site if you're not logged on, but I remember it used to be a google banner in comic part of the site, is this a relatively new change? D:

I find this to be rather problematic because it appears as though I am personally advocating softwares and the like that for all I know could be a hoax :< Please help!

Postby Admin » January 24th, 2010, 2:21 pm

We're trying a new type of advertising right now because Project Wonderful hasn't been performing at the same rate that the old ads were. The products being advertised are legitimate and are from legitimate businesses.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2010, 2:29 pm

I understand advertisement is needed to keep SJ running but couldn't it be placed in a different place? I don't understand why it's necessary to put it under author comments when it's clearly not promoted by the authors but Smackjeeves.

Another suggestion would be that to make it clear it's an advertisement instead of making it look like a comment.

Again, I understand the need to advertise but I think current method of implementation is invasive as we as comic authors can't relocate the ad depending on how our site layout is.

Postby kahitanostudios » January 24th, 2010, 5:19 pm

I see. Thank you for clearing that up.
But I have to agree with P!K; it is a bit glaring.
kahitanostudios

Postby Trev-Shyeah » January 29th, 2010, 1:40 pm

A bit glaring?? That's a huge understatement. This crap is gonna drive readers AWAY. What a terrible idea.
Trev-Shyeah

Postby Admin » January 29th, 2010, 2:22 pm

I've removed them. They unfortunately didn't perform very well, and some people did find them to be a nuisance.

Just as a reminder, Donators and Premium Subscribers have always been, and will always be, completely ad-free.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jazeki » June 2nd, 2010, 11:28 pm

I'm not sure how aware you are of this, but you've got an adult site in your ad rotation. I've set it as a spoiler for the people who don't want to look at half-naked women in search of sex.

Jazeki

Postby Amante » June 3rd, 2010, 2:28 am

Jazeki wrote:I'm not sure how aware you are of this, but you've got an adult site in your ad rotation. I've set it as a spoiler for the people who don't want to look at half-naked women in search of sex.

It's been addressed here as well. I'm sure he's aware and working on it. Thanks for bringing it up, Jazzy.
Any SJ related questions? Feel free to look around, and if you can't find an answer, make a topic here and we'll get to you as fast as we can! :D

BlackBlade Rising revamp COMING SOON!
Amante

Postby Admin » June 3rd, 2010, 7:04 pm

Sorry guys, I just moved and started my new job and was without internet for a few days. I'm just discovering this now and will deal with it if it hasn't already been resolved.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Yeah, I've been getting a problem with ads lately that involves free antivirus or spyware. It's been bothering me because it looks really suspicious. Pfft..

Here it is:

Ahahaha.. xD I hope this isn't just my computer doing this.

Next

Return to Bugs & Glitches