Comic encoding now in unicode --> invalid characters

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Comic encoding now in unicode --> invalid characters

Postby smbhax » September 6th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Today I'm noticing that Smack Jeeves comic pages are coming up in Unicode rather than Western encoding in my browsers (Firefox 3.6.8 and IE 8.0.6x under WinXP). This causes the < > signs on the next/prev navigation bar to print out as little error boxes, for instance.

When I tried validating one on W3C's Markup Validation Service, it returned an error:

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 409 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.

The error was: utf8 "\xBB" does not map to Unicode

This is the first time I've encountered this issue on Smack Jeeves.
smbhax

Re: Comic encoding now in unicode --> invalid characters

Postby Dan » September 11th, 2010, 12:32 am

Sorry about this... Some of it's fixed, I'm going to fix the rest ASAP. An unfortunate byproduct of adding UTF-8 support was that existing special characters weren't converted very nicely.
Dan
Site Admin

Postby smbhax » September 11th, 2010, 3:12 am

Good to hear, thanks!
smbhax

Postby smbhax » January 21st, 2011, 6:50 pm

Just a note that this little bug is still present. :)
smbhax

Postby Dan » January 22nd, 2011, 12:32 pm

Unfortunately, when I converted the character encoding across the site, these characters got deleted for some reason:

››

So I had to add them back in for you.

Also, you had a meta tag that was explicitly declaring the character encoding as iso, which may have been causing issues since the page was being served with a header character format of unicode. I removed the meta tag to resolve that issue as well.
Dan
Site Admin

Postby smbhax » January 23rd, 2011, 1:29 pm

Ah! Thank you very much. :D
smbhax

Return to Bugs & Glitches