Search doesn't work with too many parameters

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Search doesn't work with too many parameters

Postby eishiya » February 24th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Attempting to search with too many parameters, such as selecting all but one thing in each genre, style, and format (and an empty search string), causes PHP to toss out an error stating that the filename is too long.

Even if it is impossible to fix this and allow the searches to be performed correctly (the ideal case), then at least I think the site itself should give a soft error such as "We cannot perform a search with this many parameters, please select fewer options or use the "All" option" rather than showing the user a PHP error.

I was searching for non-sprite, non-gaming, non-animated comics with the most pages, haha.

Edit: ...but that search doesn't really work, does it?
Is there a way to exclude genres entirely? Say, if I want to exclude all Romance comics but include Drama, is there a way to make that return only those comics that are Drama but not Romance?
eishiya

Re: Search doesn't work with too many parameters

Postby trenton_dawn » February 24th, 2011, 9:25 pm

eishiya wrote:Edit: ...but that search doesn't really work, does it?
Is there a way to exclude genres entirely? Say, if I want to exclude all Romance comics but include Drama, is there a way to make that return only those comics that are Drama but not Romance?

No, I don't think there is such a way. That's a good idea, though.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Admin » February 26th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Hey, what do you know, I never even thought that error could happen, haha.

I could add an "inclusive/exclusive" option to category/genre searching.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » February 26th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Isn't that how it is with most errors that go uncaught? ;D

And that would be lovely!

...then all we need is to add BL and GL categories and all search-related issues will forever be resolved, haha.
eishiya

Return to Bugs & Glitches