Sliced images not lining up, "gaps" created

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Sliced images not lining up, "gaps" created

Postby joegp » March 14th, 2011, 5:57 am

Hi. I'm in the process of moving all my comics over to SmackJeeves. Just got the premium account and setting up my new site. Unfortunately, my site design for some reason literally breaks apart a little bit on this site, and I'm not sure why. It works fine when tested, and I even was trying out Comic Fury before coming here, and it worked fine on that site.

Here's the site: http://ftgp.smackjeeves.com/ You can see how there are gaps where there shouldn't be.

Any help would be very appreciated.
joegp

Re: Sliced images not lining up, "gaps" created

Postby eishiya » March 14th, 2011, 7:34 am

I'm stumped.
It could be your doctype. I don't think SJ enforces one, though...

I don't think this is the problem, but you should not set heights and widths for the table data cells (<td>) within them. These attributes are deprecated and force browsers into quirks mode, which varies greatly by browser. Instead, assign them classes (for example, call the 10px wide cells "sidecell" and the 10px tall cells "topbottomcell") and assign their dimensions via CSS (e.g. .sidecell {width: 10px;}).
The same goes for the table's properties such as cellpadding.

Edit: Actually I think it IS a quirks mode thing! IE shows the layout fine. Since you're using all those widgets, you'll never get the page into full compliance (they use all kinds of weird code), but the things you can fix might be worth fixing.
eishiya

Postby Admin » March 14th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Try a little <tr style="line-height: 10px;">
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Asj » March 14th, 2011, 1:24 pm

sometimes gaps can be caused by cellspacing or something. That's been a problem I've had more than once. And, if the code is just slightly off (like a tag being in the wrong place, or something missing), it could change the looks in different browsers.
Not saying it's a problem here, but it's a common problem I've had.
Asj

Postby joegp » March 14th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback! <tr style="line-height: 10px;"> worked like a charm.
joegp

Return to Bugs & Glitches