Need "latest comic URL" on news page

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

Need "latest comic URL" on news page

Postby joegp » March 19th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Hi. I need to link directly to my "latest comic page URL" - the specific address, mind you, not domain.com/comics/, and was wondering what code to use to achieve this? The {NAV_LAST} has other stuff bundled with it, and it doesn't seem to work with the <!-- BEGIN latest_comic --> {latest_comic.URL} <!-- END latest_comic -->, as I assume that's doing more than just inputting the URL as well. It's really important I'm able to do this, otherwise my comment widget AND my Facebook Like widget get all screwed up.

Alternatively, is there an option to redirect from domain.com to the latest comic page? (Again, the specific URL). Right now I'm doing it manually, putting the code in the news section, but if there's a SmackJeeves way, that would be even better.
joegp

Re: Need "latest comic URL" on news page

Postby eishiya » March 19th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Did you try just {latest_comic.URL} without the comments around it?
eishiya

Postby joegp » March 20th, 2011, 12:57 am

Yeah, unfortunately that doesn't work, either. Just shows up as blank.
joegp

Postby eishiya » March 20th, 2011, 6:56 am

What does {NAV_LAST} "bundle" with it that you don't like?
eishiya

Postby Admin » March 20th, 2011, 1:04 pm

I suspect that if you were trying to do it inline like this, it wouldn't work:

Code: Select all
<!-- BEGIN latest_comic --> {latest_comic.URL} <!-- END latest_comic -->

The BEGIN and END tags need to be on their own line. So it looks like you might want to try something like this:

Code: Select all
<!-- BEGIN latest_comic -->
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url={latest_comic.URL}">
<!-- END latest_comic -->
Admin
Site Admin

Postby joegp » March 20th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much. That worked. The weird thing is I thought I tried that, but I guess I didn't.
joegp

Return to Bugs & Glitches