Recommended Comics question

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Recommended Comics question

Postby mitchellbravo » February 8th, 2018, 6:26 pm

When I look at the "discover"/recommended comics, what determines the comics that get placed there? Is it just comics that people who like the same comics as me also favorited? I only ask because it seems pretty random- I just spent some time culling it and removing some I am not interested in (there are tons of Pokemon/other fandom fancomics in there which are really not something I read or seek out) and I was just wondering how it generates the comics that get placed there. I'm interested in reading something new but also am aware I am weirdly selective, so maybe other people's "discover" tabs are more accurate to them and/or more useful to them.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Re: Recommended Comics question

Postby eishiya » February 8th, 2018, 7:02 pm

It's that, plus what used to be "Hot & Upcoming" mixed in.
eishiya

Postby Oly-RRR » February 8th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Yeah I wondered about that - at some point it seemed I faved everything active AND relevant to my tastes so the section went "hey hey want to branch out into something new? how about BL?" and this is where I imagine a very inappropriate librarian lady and it's hilarious. :lol:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby mitchellbravo » February 9th, 2018, 7:15 am

Oly-RRR wrote:Yeah I wondered about that - at some point it seemed I faved everything active AND relevant to my tastes so the section went "hey hey want to branch out into something new? how about BL?" and this is where I imagine a very inappropriate librarian lady and it's hilarious. :lol:

:lol:
"There's no high-fantasy on your faves list- want to change that?? Or how about... fancomics that take their source material gravely seriously?"
-Recommended List
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby MK_Wizard » February 9th, 2018, 8:28 am

I have no idea how it works. I used to think it was random too or that it generates based on the user's past searches or what they tend to favourite. However, that doesn't seem to be the case.
MK_Wizard

Postby Admin » February 9th, 2018, 11:36 am

It is a mix of a few things, including comics similar to the ones you've already favorited determined solely by the favorites of other users with similar tastes to you. Eventually I want to add in some suggestions based on tags into the mix. But yeah, if you've already favorited virtually all the comics on the site you might be interested in, well, by definition there wouldn't be anything relevant left to recommend until something new comes along.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions & Feedback