Smackjeeves app

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Smackjeeves app

Postby Dave Hornet » February 4th, 2019, 12:35 am

Shouldnt Smackjeeves have an app like Line and Tapastic?
I mean, apps make things way easier and more people will be able to read comics on SJ if there were an app which will equal to more publicity for authors
What do you guys think?
Dave Hornet

Re: Smackjeeves app

Postby eishiya » February 4th, 2019, 7:59 am

SJ has a mobile-friendly website, and authors can opt-in to use the SJ mobile reader to display their comic to viewers on mobile devices. That's easier for SJ to develop and provide a consistent experience on, and it allows authors to retain some degree of control over their webcomic's presentation (they can instead implement mobile-friendliness in their template, as some do, or not care about mobile readers), which is not something they'd be able to do with an app, which would essentially force the mobile reader on their comics or leave them inaccessible.

Apps are expensive to develop, and because maintaining mobile-friendly versions of a site are also not free (though cheaper), having an app tends to lead to the site's built-in mobile-friendliness falling by the wayside as the site evolves. It happened to Tapas, certainly. The result is a broken website, and no option BUT the app for people who dislike the app. As far as I can tell, a lot of people, especially authors, hate their app. The only time I hear Tapas's app brought up "positively" is when people complain about certain features being app-only, i.e. features missing from the website. I haven't used LWT much, but both in their and Tapas's case, I hear the app seems more about driving purchases than helping readers or authors. Can't block ads or tracking in an app ;D

IMO, SJ shouldn't have an app, and instead focus on making its default templates more mobile-friendly (which will in turn propagate down to new custom templates being more mobile-friendly, as most of them are derived from the default ones), so that mobile users can get the best experience in their browser of choice. The thing that makes SJ special is its customization and author control, and I hope SJ retains that.
eishiya

Postby Dave Hornet » February 5th, 2019, 2:39 pm

The app is not for the authors but for readers, see? If an author wants to upload something or change something on his site, he/ she can do it through the website
Dave Hornet

Postby eishiya » February 5th, 2019, 4:20 pm

You misunderstood my post. One of the things that makes SJ special is authors control what their webcomic looks like to readers, via the template system, that's one of the main reasons people put their comics on SJ at all. That would not be practical with an app. Even the existing mobile reader already requires relinquishing this control (but at least authors do have the option of coding a custom mobile-friendly site if they want - an option they would not have with an app).
eishiya

Postby Kyulein » February 6th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I haven't used Tapas' app in a long time, and the LWT app has been kicked off my phone, too. For both it'd be easier and more data-friendly to just use the website if necessary (cause no ads and no push-notifications).

Since both of those examples also concentrate on getting traffic on their website they're of course quite reader-friendly in general, but for the creators those apps are a nightmare. LWT doesn't allow hyperlinking in general, but you can't even select/copy/paste any given link in their app, which seriously hurts creators' abilities to do effective marketing. For all the people who might spot your comic, you can't even link your kickstarter properly. And on top of that as a creator you can't even do a quick fix of typos in the page's description while on app or post updates at all when away from desktop. I'm not 100% sure how Tapas handles this issue. I think I heard similar stuff about it, but can't confirm anything.
(Okay, that turned into a mini-rant....)

While I don't think SJ would develop to that point of hurting creators, apps for comic platforms have been soured for me. Both as a reader and a creator. SEO, highly customised looks and proper creator accessability usually aren't included in apps. I'm very satisfied with the mobile view SJ offers. And I agree with eishiya that creator control is what makes SJ stand out and it's why I love the platform.

Also, at some point readers might also wonder why they have dozens of comic apps and kick one or the other... though I admit keeping track of multiple comics can be a hassle one way or the other.
Kyulein

Postby Dave Hornet » February 6th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Kyulein wrote:I haven't used Tapas' app in a long time, and the LWT app has been kicked off my phone, too. For both it'd be easier and more data-friendly to just use the website if necessary (cause no ads and no push-notifications).

Since both of those examples also concentrate on getting traffic on their website they're of course quite reader-friendly in general, but for the creators those apps are a nightmare. LWT doesn't allow hyperlinking in general, but you can't even select/copy/paste any given link in their app, which seriously hurts creators' abilities to do effective marketing. For all the people who might spot your comic, you can't even link your kickstarter properly. And on top of that as a creator you can't even do a quick fix of typos in the page's description while on app or post updates at all when away from desktop. I'm not 100% sure how Tapas handles this issue. I think I heard similar stuff about it, but can't confirm anything.
(Okay, that turned into a mini-rant....)

While I don't think SJ would develop to that point of hurting creators, apps for comic platforms have been soured for me. Both as a reader and a creator. SEO, highly customised looks and proper creator accessability usually aren't included in apps. I'm very satisfied with the mobile view SJ offers. And I agree with eishiya that creator control is what makes SJ stand out and it's why I love the platform.

Also, at some point readers might also wonder why they have dozens of comic apps and kick one or the other... though I admit keeping track of multiple comics can be a hassle one way or the other.

Hmmmm... Makes sense, alright
Dave Hornet

Return to Suggestions & Feedback