Suggestion: Show most recent UPLOADS in comic profiles

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Suggestion: Show most recent UPLOADS in comic profiles

Postby eishiya » August 4th, 2019, 10:07 am

This has already been mentioned in the redesign feedback thread, but since it has not been addressed, I'm making a thread for it.

Currently, the profile shows the latest pages in the comic's flow. This means that if pages are uploaded to an earlier part of the comic, they will not show up in the profile. This makes it more confusing for readers to find them, they have no way to know which pages are actually new. They can make a guess via seeing the recent comments, IF the author posted comments with the new pages. This isn't good. As a reader, I've often been confused as to why a comic appeared as updated but there were no pages in the profile marked as "new". As an author, I worry if my updates will actually be seen by the readers.

The old layout showed the most recently uploaded pages, with no regard to their position in the comic. I think this was much more useful, since it made it possible to actually find the newly updated pages.
eishiya

Re: Suggestion: Show most recent UPLOADS in comic profiles

Postby Ulta » August 6th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Don't quote me on this, but I think when Comic makers post a 'news' post, it will set off the 'new' alert. I've spotted that happening a few times too, though I had yet to really SEE for myself if this was truly the case. All I know is yeah, sometimes I'd see a fav comic have a 'new' update, only to find no new page had been uploaded and I just scratch my head wondering what did the author do that made that alert go off.

I personally would like a way to let readers know if a new page was inserted earlier in the comics lifespan too, or even if an old page was editted. Maybe give us 'two' layouts that look just like our current one? One to show the most recent pages from the chronological comic page order (like we have now), and another one right below it that shows most recent upload/change? Or at least a more obvious ALERT that readers can see the MOMENT they click on the 'new' alert in their feed, so that if they don't see a new page in the cronological part, they just gotta drift their eyes downward a liiittle more and they'll see big fat NEW letters under the 'most recent upload/change' portion. It has to be noticed easily on the profile, otherwise it'll fail in it's mission. (the news feed, is strangely enough, very rarely looked at by readers sadly...)

Maybe even let the author be able to turn one of them off to save visual space on their profile if they don't use the feature much. It would still be nice to have though for those rare occasions, especially since I personally plan to do a whole new prologue update, and if a new alert system for editted pages, new pages in older timeline, or just news posts was a thing, it would be so much nicer. As is, I gotta go back to every old page and just 'edit' them, and only new readers will find it unless I interrupt my comic flow with a random visual 'page alert' letting readers know some changes were made. It's really the only way folks really know what's up, but personally, it's disruptive to my comic's archive and layout...and I would loooove a better alternative.
Ulta

Postby Gibson Twist » August 7th, 2019, 7:50 am

Ulta wrote:Maybe even let the author be able to turn one of them off...

If this was implemented, it would be much better for it to be an opt-in rather than an opt-out.
Gibson Twist

Postby eishiya » August 7th, 2019, 9:08 am

I get separate news notifications, and I have yet to see one accompanied by a mystery "new", whereas pages uploaded earlier in the flow definitely cause that.

Adding another view just sounds like overkilling the problem, and replacing one source of confusion with another, even if it's opt-in. I still think just having the old-style "latest uploads" view would be the cleanest solution. SJ had that "latest updates" in the profile for years and the only "problem" it caused was that if someone spammed their comic with Unchaptered non-pages, you had to click "Latest Page" instead of a thumbnail if you wanted to see what the pages look like, to decide if you wanted to start reading the comic. So, a very occasional non-problem that caused no confusion, unlike this.
eishiya

Postby Gibson Twist » August 9th, 2019, 11:38 am

eishiya wrote:Adding another view just sounds like overkilling the problem, and replacing one source of confusion with another, even if it's opt-in.

I agree with this a lot. This seems like a very uncommon problem.
Gibson Twist

Return to Suggestions & Feedback