page ratings

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

page ratings

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2009, 6:19 pm

It seems to me, that many people seem to miss the rating area. It's not that they don't want to, it's they read the comic, leave a comment, and forget to rate. My suggestion, is to provide a drop box in the "Submit a comment" popup box, next to submit button, to rate the page. I feel that seeing that will encourage and increase the amount of ratings on a page.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Re: page ratings

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 20th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Yes, I fully support this. Surprised no-one brought this up before actually...
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby SushiGummy » August 20th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Great idea. It's strange how nobody seemed to notice this kind of possible feature until now.
SushiGummy

Postby Mr Aids » August 21st, 2009, 3:52 am

Yes, I support this 100%.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Imi » August 21st, 2009, 4:05 am

I'm also very okay with this idea. Rating is something I don't think about because it isn't obvious, but if this was available I'd definately take the time to use it.
Imi

Postby M-ocha » August 21st, 2009, 12:16 pm

This would be so convenient! I like this idea.
M-ocha

Postby Pyroman » August 21st, 2009, 8:08 pm

I would love this. Rating is notoriously ignored, but having the access more available might make the system more viable.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Admin » August 21st, 2009, 8:11 pm

Sounds pretty unanimous, this is now on the to-do list.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby TCF » September 27th, 2009, 7:30 am

It would have to be so that it only works for the first post on that page only, or else you could spamrate with comments.
TCF

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2009, 7:49 am

TCF wrote:It would have to be so that it only works for the first post on that page only, or else you could spamrate with comments.

I thought our rating system didn't allow a person to vote multiple times on the same page... D:? Even if the window lets you select a rating, I just assumed how it'd work is because your vote was already successful that it wouldn't let you?

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2009, 10:12 am

TCF wrote:It would have to be so that it only works for the first post on that page only, or else you could spamrate with comments.

I don't think you understand what my suggestion is. So, I'll break it down for you piece by piece. When you select a comic page, you can submit a comment to that page. That comment is unique to that page, and will not show up on any other page. Are you with me so far? What we do is simply add an ability to rate the comic once in to the comment system. It will be only for the page your commenting, and you may only vote once for page.

You wouldn't be able to "spamrate" a comic in any form.

Postby Afrohawkman » September 28th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Good idea BlueLink. I fully support this. We could probably keep the same rating system too, just add this so it's a lot easier. I'd definitely find myself rating more with this.
Afrohawkman

Postby Gibson Twist » December 6th, 2009, 9:06 am

If this change does come about, will it still be possible to disable the ratings, meaning will we be able to have that dropdown removed from our comment box? Personally, I would really not want this feature. I think a lot of other people feel the same.
Gibson Twist

Postby Loverofpiggies » December 6th, 2009, 9:16 am

I agree with Gibson here. I'd much rather it stay a comment box. When its only a comment box the comments feel alot more meaningful. Doing it this way might actually put some pressure on people to vote even if they really dont want to, and I dont want to do anything like that. I mean voting isnt that big of a deal. If you do a feature like this anyway, I'd like to be able to disable it.
Loverofpiggies

Postby SuperBiasedMan » December 6th, 2009, 7:40 pm

As an alternative, granmastern mentioned a good idea:

granmastern wrote:What if the rating system was replaced by just one button that said "I like this page", and it would show how many people like this page. then your profile page would have a section with these pages that you like so other people can see the pages you like... essentially something like digg but integrated into SJ.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Next

Return to Suggestions & Feedback