A suggestion for helping comic artists get paid

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

A suggestion for helping comic artists get paid

Postby Zyephen » April 2nd, 2017, 8:14 pm

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but if anyone has visited Tapastic, they have a way for the artists to get paid by having ads on their artist's comic pages. They also have a tipping feature where viewers get 'paid' with coins to view these ads and the readers can in turn be tipped with the coins. I thought it would be a nice option for smackjeeves to implement something similar.

I much prefer Smackjeeve's site to Tapastic's, but I do really like this Tapastic feature, and seems many comic artists are migrating there just for these features. I really would love to see Smackjeeves follow suit. As a long time artist, it's tough always being expected to work for free and never really getting any of your reader's support monetarily.

Anyways, just a suggestion.

-Zyephen
Zyephen

Re: A suggestion for helping comic artists get paid

Postby eishiya » April 2nd, 2017, 9:25 pm

SJ's Admin has already mentioned that he'd like to do an ad revenue sharing program, the problem is that most individual comics, even the larger ones, on SJ don't get enough ad-viewing traffic to get more than pennies from such a program. It'd just end up depressing rather than helpful. Hopefully such a program will become more viable in the future, as SJ looks into other advertising providers and gains more users.

A tipping feature would be nice, and Tapastic's way of doing it with coins rather than directly with money gets around the problem of per-transaction fees eating up all the profit. I'd like to see SJ do something similar, as well as provide an option to spend these tips on things like subscriptions for the comic.
eishiya

Postby Oly-RRR » April 2nd, 2017, 9:56 pm

eishiya wrote:I'd like to see SJ do something similar, as well as provide an option to spend these tips on things like subscriptions for the comic.

Actually yes!! And paying for subscriptions with tips from readers could make artists buy subscriptions more (I know I'd totally do it in that case).

When I started reading this post my first thought was "What is it with aggressive advertisement of Tap on other sites' forums?" - as I read on I was glad it wasn't the case. :lol:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Zyephen » May 17th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Wonder if the admin has worked toward this any since last mentioned.
Zyephen

Postby Admin » May 18th, 2017, 12:18 am

You know, I never really considered a tipping program on Smack Jeeves because I figured, can't artists just accept tips through PayPal?

And we integrate with Patreon now, which is a form of tipping.

I did propose doing our own version of Patreon a few years ago, and most people said they preferred to just use Patreon.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » May 18th, 2017, 9:21 am

Admin wrote:You know, I never really considered a tipping program on Smack Jeeves because I figured, can't artists just accept tips through PayPal?

And we integrate with Patreon now, which is a form of tipping.

I did propose doing our own version of Patreon a few years ago, and most people said they preferred to just use Patreon.

Your past self really overestimated the amount of work people are willing to put in to part with their money xP Paypal donation buttons have largely fallen out of use because they're inconvenient and that 30 cent (+N%) fee eats up too much of the tip (most tips are small!).

Patreon is not a form of tipping, it's a much bigger (mostly mental) commitment than that. Something like Ko-Fi is a form of tipping - a one-time transaction with no further thought needed. People could use that, but most people don't know about it.

Some sort of tipping based on the site would be nice, because unlike Patreon, tipping is simple, there's no commitment to build, no communication to maintain - there's just the comic. For something so small, it's too much hassle to go through an external site (even something like Ko-Fi) for most people, especially if it requires logging in again to something. People are willing to do it for Patreon because there's much more to Patreon than making a transaction. Having funds tied to one's SJ acocunt and being able to just click a "Tip!" button and then a "Confirm" button would be much easier.

Having some sort of SJ wallet would probably be the only way anyone could make a profit with this - doing tipper-artist transactions for every tip would just end up with all the money eaten by processing fees, even if this wasn't SJ-based and SJ took no cut. If there's a wallet, then the money is essentially held by SJ until a person cashes it out through Paypal/Stripe/whatever, and the only fees on the tips themselves are those taken by SJ, which can be purely %-based (or, completely flat, to encourage bigger tips). So, someone could put a few bucks in and pay PayPal for that transaction (SJ takes no cut here), dish out a few tips when they feel like it with no extra logins (SJ takes a cut of each of these), and the artists, once they're accumulated a few bucks in tips, can cash out, paying the PayPal fee (but on a larger amount than a single tip, thus keeping more of the money), no SJ fees there. Or, they could use those funds to tip other artists - they get to feel good, other people get more money, and SJ gets to double-dip on the fees without payment processors getting in the way. This has the potential to be very transparent and simple (Tip $2: Username will receive $1.90.) The drawback is, of course, coding this stuff xP Sounds simpler than integrating with something though, and it gives SJ a way to make money while also helping artists get more money (by keeping Paypal's hands off it).
eishiya

Return to Suggestions & Feedback