Youtube Implementaion

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Youtube Implementaion

Postby kcspice » October 25th, 2017, 6:16 am

Ok, so it's 2017, and 2018 is just around the corner. Where the frick-frack snick-snack is the option to embed a youtube video into a regular comic page? It's been a feature on the forums for awhile, but for people such as myself who like to animate certain scenes in the story, having the youtube player as an option when posting a page would be SO much more appealing and convenient to work with
I know coding is a lot of work, but this is something that could benefit creators
kcspice

Re: Youtube Implementaion

Postby eishiya » October 25th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Videos tend to fall outside the realm of "webcomics", so it's not likely to be a commonly-used feature.
However, SJ does already allow uploading Flash files (for comics with subscriptions), and with Flash reaching the end of its life and browsers phasing out support, perhaps YouTube embeds can be the next best thing. This wouldn't even require a new interface for users - SJ could just recognize youtube links in the remote link field and build the embed code from that. For the thumbnail SJ could use a default thumbnail like it does for flash and mature pages, or perhaps Youtube has a way to automatically get the thumbnails it generates for all videos.

For now, until this feature is added (or in case Admin decides not to make it), remember that you can already embed youtube videos into author comments, using the embed HTML you can get on the video's YT page. If you expect to post a lot of such "pages", pick a template that features author comments prominently and have the embed in those, and use a small "the page is down below" placeholder image for the page uploaded to SJ.
eishiya

Postby Admin » October 25th, 2017, 5:27 pm

YouTube implementation is on the low-priority to-do list.

As far as Flash goes, I know Adobe Animate is replacing Flash, but I'm not sure yet what the new file format is. I'd like to allow people to upload published Adobe Animate HTML5 as a page, but first I have to figure out what the common published file format looks like.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » October 25th, 2017, 7:16 pm

If this is planned, perhaps this thread should get stickied? The stickies in this forum are how we avoid yelling at you to fix things you're already working on ;D
eishiya

Postby Shard » October 25th, 2017, 9:32 pm

As long as you put it in an author comment, you can post Youtube videos into your comments. (This might only be if the video allows embedding, but if you're the one making them, you can make sure that they do!) As a temporary fix, you could make an image that says "check the author comment" and then in your author comment, use the HTML Embed code straight off of Youtube itself. If you're not sure how to do that, check the screenshots linked below:

http://prntscr.com/h23mxy
http://prntscr.com/h23n1x
http://prntscr.com/h23nk5
http://prntscr.com/h23nqg

That seems to be the way I've seen most people get around not being able to post videos (or just post videos into their comments if they want a musical backdrop or something), and has the added bonus of meaning people don't have to trawl over to Youtube to view your videos and then come back if they want to comment.
ImageImage
Shard

Return to Suggestions & Feedback